What's new

Chankast performance problems

Ceasama

Hey everyone, new guy here. I've been trying out Chankast for a couple of days now.

I've been having problems with general performance in Sonic Adventure 2 (Which is currently the only game I have). The game's menus are fine, but when the actual in game 3d engine gets going, Chankast drops to a sub 20-fps rate, meshing up the sounds/voice clips and making the game almost unplayable.

Now seeing as I'm new to this and such, I don't really know what to expect from the emulator, so I'm sorry if this is normal. I have tried under/overclocking CPU (By about 25 either way), changed resolution, ran in fullscreen, forced v-sync, closed all programs, and used the capcom hack in various combonations of one another, but none give a visible performance increase (And the capcom hack simply seems to add a frameskip).
Small amount of specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+
RAM: 1280mb DDR400
GFX: ATi Radeon 9600XT

Should I be expecting this type of performance from Chankast and/or my rig? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Do you have the latest drivers for your card?

Even if you did get Sonic Adventure 2 running properly, the game is very buggy and will most likely crash unexpectedly. More on some systems, less on othes. Still, withthat setup of yours, I suppose you should be able to get at least a little more speed than sub 20fps.

OP
C

Ceasama

Yes, I have the latest drivers.

Oh well, I'll fiddle around a bit more and see what becomes of it. So far outside of a few graphical glitches, SA2 has ran rather well excluding it's framerate. Seeing as resolution changes don't affect much, I suppose the CPU is a bit taxed.
The other game I dumped (Space Channel 5 Part 2) also has very similar problems once into the engine (Again, menu's work fine) but since a compatibility list says it gets choppy anyway, I don't consider it a good example.

Is there any game I could use that would run fine, or anyone who has a similar setup that I could test with? The computer is getting rather old...

jessman(reborn)

EmuTalk's Own L'istigatore
Enable the CAPCOM hack. The cut-scenes will still be slow, but actual gameplay is full-speed with frame-skipping. I have a RADEON so I know that this'll work.