What's new

What will happen after Windows Vista Release?

What will happen?

• People would start using it gradually and will be updated with service packs

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • People would start using it gradually but after 2 years a new version will come

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • People won't like to buy it, it's very expensive and they will keep using WinXP

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • People won't like to buy it, they will migrate to Linux

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Dunno / I don't care

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It's sad, but yes... everyone who buys computers instead of assembling them themselves are always screwed. Because, guess what? They always cut down on the gfx card (integrated crap) and memory.

Doomulation

No. I doubt that. Unless you have integrated crap, I assume it will run of Vista unless you have a Geforce 4 card which isn't sold with new computers anymore.

Flash

Technomage
t0rek said:
The problem is that not every PC is used for gaming. Most of them are used for work, and have integrated graphic for example. They don't currently have 2 Gb of RAM for just using Word all day you know.
I have 3 gigs of RAM but i don't like an idea of using OS which will leave less than half of it for applications. Yes, it's possible to use win2k-ish interface, but still it will have waaay higher reqs than XP, 2k, linux, OS X or every other OS on this planet.
It's just stupid to waste so much resources for OS.
That's why i use XFCE in linux - looks good and requires less resources than win9x GUI.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
No. I doubt that. Unless you have integrated crap, I assume it will run of Vista unless you have a Geforce 4 card which isn't sold with new computers anymore.

The world is bigger than USA pal... I can assure you that cards are still sold, and I think WhiteX too

Doomulation

t0rek said:
The world is bigger than USA pal... I can assure you that cards are still sold, and I think WhiteX too
Aye, but I don't live in USA. And, I guess, I refer to the countries which does not have these behind-the-technology problem :plain:

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
Aye, but I don't live in USA. And, I guess, I refer to the countries which does not have these behind-the-technology problem :plain:

Even in those countries PCs used for office work (not the program office) don't have 1 Gb or 2 Gb of RAM currently

WhiteX

Doom, the problem is that unlike games, consoles and all that, Windows is sold on all the globe, for all kinds of ppl.

I reckon that most ppl here and there are behind technology but we too have big companies, universities, Business software coding...All that.

The case is that prior to Vista, they could have moderate powered computers, some branches could even afford to use Onboard Hardware, it exists for a reason, but now they must make a gaming computer out of an office one,o of Course they do not need all that Horsepower to run it without Aero, but most business men are computer illiterates, they will buy what says on the box.

Doomulation

t0rek said:
Even in those countries PCs used for office work (not the program office) don't have 1 Gb or 2 Gb of RAM currently
And wonder of wonders, no PC you buy (except very expensive ones) will have 2 GB of memory. Probably will have 1 gb, or 512 mb. Not uncommon. They always cut down on that. Stupid if you ask me.

Miretank said:
GF4 won't be supported?
Last I read, Aero (at the very least, Aero) required a PS2.0 compatible card. That is Geforce FX+.

WhiteX said:
Doom, the problem is that unlike games, consoles and all that, Windows is sold on all the globe, for all kinds of ppl.

I reckon that most ppl here and there are behind technology but we too have big companies, universities, Business software coding...All that.

The case is that prior to Vista, they could have moderate powered computers, some branches could even afford to use Onboard Hardware, it exists for a reason, but now they must make a gaming computer out of an office one,o of Course they do not need all that Horsepower to run it without Aero, but most business men are computer illiterates, they will buy what says on the box.
Onboard graphics are EVIL, EVIL, EVIL and EVIL. They shouldn't exist. It's even better to have a geforce 2 than onboard graphics. They musn't make the computers Gaming machines, because in fact, I doubt you'll be able to run that many games now with the lowest card supported by Aero. Curses, you shouldn't be using any onboard graphics for the hell of it. NEVER.
Any decent bought computer (excluding those poor countries) will have a decent graphics card that has PS2.0 support. And newer onboard does too, but they are still EVIL.

WhiteX

yes, onboard is an anagram for Satan. :p

Still, this is a bad business decision, many offices will not get Vista on the expense of having to upgrade machines that they just bought, now you can easily get away with a Sempron 2.5+ and 512 meg of Ram for an office, Vista will manage this to be old and ppl will not upgrade 10, 15 machines on their offices over bells and whistles.

Doomulation

I am pretty sure it can be more than just bells ans whistles. For us who do lots of things at once, getting to see a preview of each window can be a good thing. Besides, this will add to the step to allow programmers to make nicer GUI with less effort, as well as Microsoft will be able to add more graphics-dependant features that can enhance the use. I think Microsoft is on the right way, as long as it doesn't suck up the resources from everything else.
Companies who gets onboard graphics are stupid. Most companies have IT experts and I would say the world is crumbling to pieces if IT experts say onboard graphics are a good decision.

Doomulation

Let's face it: today, any sub-PS2.0 card is crap. Microsoft went for some decent requirements. You shouldn't be having a sub-PS2.0 card these days if you want to run games. Heck, you shouldn't even own one at all.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
any Sub PS 2.0 is crap? what about the FX 5200? it has PS2.0 and is crap :p

Doomulation

t0rek said:
any Sub PS 2.0 is crap? what about the FX 5200? it has PS2.0 and is crap :p
And from that we can draw the conclusion that anything below that card must be extra crap ;)

WhiteX

Companies who gets onboard graphics are stupid. Most companies have IT experts and I would say the world is crumbling to pieces if IT experts say onboard graphics are a good decision.

Doom supermarkets, drugstores, home appliance stores, do all of them have IT experts?

Doomulation

I don't know, I don't work at one. And if they don't, they should get one because they are really handy when it comes to computers.