What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

My "Super Mario 64" Hi-Res Texture Project

Jale

N00bis Hi-Res Texture Maker
Also as an introduction. Though I'm not new in this forum I forgot my previous username and password. I'm Jale, commonly known as Butters in other emulation sites.

Okay, yesterday I've learned how to dump textures with Rice's video and started to look more closely at textures. One of many contribution plans for this site are texture packs. My work in progress is Super Mario 64 textures and it's looking very good so far.

Well, I haven't even completed the 10% of texturization I'm working hard to complete and launch the pack in the next months. Also, textures you see in the screenshots may vary from the final release.

If the texture pack I'm going to release does good I'll make future projects with other games.

Greetings and have a good day :)

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Z

"The_A"
Looks good, but it just doesn't look like a Mario game. Maybe you should make it a bit more cartoony?

OP
Jale

Jale

lol, I didn't know it was from GTA Vice City :p

Anyway, I still haven't decided what water texture should I use, so I'm trying with a lot of them.

Today's changes:

untitled120ot.jpg

• Water (may change it again).
  • Trees
  • Castle rooftop
Things are a bit slow this week due to college and because this is the first time I'm in texturing.

OP
Jale

Jale

I decided I've done enough to release a very first alpha release of my work.

Notes about this release:

Since this is an alpha stage of my work you won't get a lot of graphic changes (WIP).

Texture changes have been made only outdoors (Castle outdoors/some of the courtyard) and in some shared textures (water, ie: Dire Dire Docks level).

And please, don't ruin my work by changing/modifying textures by yourself or claiming this texture pack as your work. Give credit to my efforts.

The Dave

So are you making these textures or finding them and putting them into Mario? I ask because of the Vice City water thing.

OP
Jale

Jale

I got 3 sources for textures:

- Free web resources.
- I make some with 3ds Max, like the sand.
- Texture packs.

I'm not using any GTA Vice City textures.

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
Firstly great work, good to see Mario 64 getting some re-texturing. I had a go myself with the HUD but it didnt turn out that great, no alpha transparencies work on the top HUD. Now what I would say is perhaps you need to be tiling your textures more. the ground texture looks visibly stretched, which if you tiled it more would not be so stark, also the contrast of your textures, try not to make it all look ultra bump mapped, unless you do it tiled like the ground and grass.

Hope this project stays the course, I have always found the lack of detail in Mario 64, disappointing, so hopefully, this will improve on a classic!

OP
Jale

Jale

Thanks for all your comments and yes, the work would last long because of college work (lack of time), but never dead :)

mdtauk said:
Now what I would say is perhaps you need to be tiling your textures more. the ground texture looks visibly stretched, which if you tiled it more would not be so stark and grass.
There are stretched areas because 1) I'm working from 32x32 to 128x128 of texture resolution and 2) Those screenshots are prototypes. They may vary from final work.

also the contrast of your textures, try not to make it all look ultra bump mapped, unless you do it tiled like the ground
I'll keep that in mind. Comments like this will improve quality :)

PDK

Last edited:

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
Just thought I'd post my hud if you were interested in using it or doing something with it...

Last edited:

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
Nice work Jale.:bouncy:
This is what I've done, tell me what you think. To me it seems between ultra realistic and cartoony.

OP
Jale

Jale

Thanks for your support. I'm currently working on 3D textures and not sprites, but we can combine both projects upon final release.