What's new

Overclocking

KingTom

aka "Passion"
I have an AOpen Intel PIII AGP ATX motherboard clocked at 450 MHz manufatcured in August 1999.
Can anybody tell me how & how much i could/should overclock this?

Martin

Administrator
Depends on what kind of cooling you have and what the processor is capable. It can vary a lot when and where it was manufactured. I had a PII-333 Mhz that I clocked to 500 Mhz a while ago, and it worked out pretty good with regular fan + heatsink.

Suggestion: Check out www.overclockers.com :)

adi

get out of my house
I wouldn't recommend overclocking as a long term solution though, I've heard it causes all sorts of problems

"ive heard it causes all sorts of problems" <-- theres an expert for ya ;) seriously, if you dont go crazy then overclockin can niceley give you a 20-30% performance boost, but if youre after something significant then id SERIOUSLY upgrade that 450

Remote

As long as you know what you are doing you shouldn't run into any problems, if you remeber the good old days when Celly's could do overclocks in the 40 - 50 % range with reasonble cooling of course, i.e a peltier sandwich... But if your motherboard supports it you should be able to raise the FSB(FrontSideBus) from 66 to 100 or from 100 to 133. Increase the FSB in small steps and check your motherboard manual for PCI and AGP dividers. A FSB setting which doesn't split even will make your system unstable. And as Martin said, go to overclockers.com and rad up on the subject.

Yingke

I tried overclocking my PII 300 before and got it to 350MHZ, but then win2k stopped booting :( So then i did 333MHZ then Unreal stopped working! So i went back to the good old 300MHZ :D

Anyway, to do it you can either change the FSB from what it is now to one higher e.g. 66->100->133 but make sure your ram is capable of the higher speed.
Also you can change the multiplier of the FSB.

My multiplier was on the motherboard and FSB in the bios, it's different for every motherboard.

Slougi

theacj said:
I wouldn't recommend overclocking as a long term solution though, I've heard it causes all sorts of problems
I've been running my Duron 800@1070 for a few months now, basically 24/7. No probs :)

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Slougi, I seriously recommend not running it 24/7. I had a friend talk to me just last week complaining about his processor melting his socket because the headsink couldn't move the heat fast enough. He was overclocking. I also got a call from a gentleman who thought overclocking was a solution who also couldn't move heat fast enough. His socket didn't melt, but the processor died. It's is a long term solution. Just not a safe one if you value your CPU. I ran a Celeron 300A -> 450Mhz for 2 years. It was semi-unstable, but the CPU was never ruined. I guess you are just taking a chance.

Slougi

well i am watercooling and temps generally stay below 30C, so i doubt it will melt the socket ;)
And I know a whle lot of ppl overclocking and running 24/7.

Remote

As long as you have a realiable pump you can run it for ages, but I wouldn't expect HD's and such to operate perfect after running them constantly...

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Slougi said:
well i am watercooling and temps generally stay below 30C, so i doubt it will melt the socket ;)
And I know a whle lot of ppl overclocking and running 24/7.

That is what I don't understand. With the expense of the water pump and the added electricity to run that pump, you could buy a faster CPU which fits in that socket.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i think O/C is fine long term but how do i put this, i wouldn't use any cooling solution that, if it fails, results in dead hardware... but if you have an AMD CPU, there's no choice on that AFAIK, basically Intel stuff locks up, AMD stuff burns... but AMD stuff is sufficiently cheaper that you can buy two for one anyway. I've used peltiers before but honestly it was a waste of money, i only ever use HS or HS+fan now. Same with SMP, don't waste your money.

Slougi

Azimer said:
That is what I don't understand. With the expense of the water pump and the added electricity to run that pump, you could buy a faster CPU which fits in that socket.
I mainly do it due to the noise, it's almost silent now. The overclocking is just a nice bonus. As I said I run it almost 24/7 and sleep in the same room, so it's really nice to have a silent pc.

linker

Emutalk Member
Smiff said:
i think O/C is fine long term but how do i put this, i wouldn't use any cooling solution that, if it fails, results in dead hardware... but if you have an AMD CPU, there's no choice on that AFAIK, basically Intel stuff locks up, AMD stuff burns... but AMD stuff is sufficiently cheaper that you can buy two for one anyway. I've used peltiers before but honestly it was a waste of money, i only ever use HS or HS+fan now. Same with SMP, don't waste your money.

You can overclock using the FSB. On Intel processors the multiplier is locked however (There is no solution AFAIK). Athlon's and Duron's mult. is also locked, but if you connect one of the bridges on the processor you can unlock it (the first one).

Slougi

I use FSb overclocking cause it also increases mem bandwidth between northbridge and cpu. My cpu is a duron 800 (8*100), upped FSB -> 133 => 8*133=1070

Remote

All never AMD processors, K7-line and up, can be unlocked by using the pencil trick, connecting the L1 pins with a led pencil or other conductive material. FSB overclokcing is better for memory performance but it not as relaible as increasing the multiplier. The first line of Athlon processors, which had a non die cache, required GFD's(golden figer devices) to increase the speed, I am uncertain if it was also possible to bump up the speed by channging the cache divider, it seems wrong though.