What's new

Wonderswan/Wonderswan Color Emulator

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
I know this is waaaay behind but I have noticed that WS/C emulation has slipped under the radar for a few years now ever since the mysterious disappearances of the original emulation authors, strangely around the same time (ASSASSINATED!). Has there been any efforts to breath new life on it? (Personally I did not like how they built Oswan, it feels unnatural, just my opinion. And lacks functions that Cygne originally had, as well as some uneccesary transparencies.)

I am just curious at this point.

Another strange thing is that other codeing projects outside of emulation also went out around the same time. o_O It is a conspiracy!

Darkfox

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There have been no new efforts to my knowledge. a shame really. Cygne or Oswan it is.

xdaniel_FWB

Living RCP Hungup
I messed with the sources of Cygne and Oswan half a year (or something) ago and sorta hacked them together. What I mean is that I inserted Oswans fixed/enhanced CPU core into Cygne and changed some things around to fix some other bugs (in... the emulation main loop, also changed some initial I/O register values). To be honest, pretty much the only real work I did here was with I/O register 0xCD which is used by Digimon Tamers Battle Spirit - which sets its in-game language according to it -, I added layer toggling and made some GUI changes... In case anyone wants this hack job, download here including source code: http://magicstone.de/dzd/temp/cygne_inofficial-v25.zip

OP
Darkfox

Darkfox

Hey, not bad. This was actually an idea I had. ^_^ Even if it is a "hack job" I do like what I see. Thanks :)

spotanjo3

Thanks but I prefer Oswan for better compabilities and it allows me to use PSX controller rather than the keyboard that I really hate. :)

OP
Darkfox

Darkfox

Well, a GUI is no good for me. And as said, there are places in some games where certain things are transparent when it should be black. Apparently it can't read those differences. Though I myself have a nice controller, I would have much rather seen a Cygne update, than a new Oswan, it'll probably never happen though officially. Plus when I go to the GUI the sound locks and repeats. Hurts my head over time (I wear headphones).

I dunno what is wrong with a toolbar. o_O... I'm classic. What can I say? ;)

But it is still sad that they died out of the scene. It makes me consider... CONSPIRACY THEORY!

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Yeah, I know. They are only two and died so quickly but glad that I am able to play Rockman & Forte perfectly on Oswan better than Cygne but Cygne deserves to be improvement. I guess nobody want to develop them anymore for them are not popular.

OP
Darkfox

Darkfox

Sadly popularity goes to bigshot newbies. *sigh* It isn't really fair to go "bleh" to them. They are classics. And thats how I see it.

Edit: But if I get my skills up, I am going to try my hand at improveing it.

Miretank

Lurking
Darkfox said:
I have noticed that WS/C emulation has slipped under the radar for a few years now ever since the mysterious disappearances of the original emulation authors, strangely around the same time (ASSASSINATED!)
:ninja:
shut up or you'll be next! :evil:

IT WASNT ME I SWEAR!

:ninja:

*Mire runs away desperately

xdaniel_FWB

Living RCP Hungup
As for Oswan's compatibility, it's not as high as WSCamp's - take Rockman EXE WS (hangs), Digimon Battle Spirit or One Piece Swan Colosseum (graphic errors). When it comes to open source emulators through, it is one of the best, if not the best (even through my "hack job" emulates Battle Spirit and Swan Colosseum just fine but that's mostly because of Oswan's CPU core and some other changes by me, so really not much work on my part).

Anyway, I definatly agree that someone should pick up either Cygne's or Oswan's source and improve it. I'd love to do so, but my grasp of both C(++) programming and the WonderSwan hardware is way too limited ^^"

darknior

Darknior
Thanks good work :D
It's good to have a new version of this emulator today ... because it not progress about a long time ... :(

Do you think you will make an others in the future ? ...

xdaniel_FWB

Living RCP Hungup
Releasing this build made me look at its source code again, but I don't know if i'll release any other versions. The simple reason for that is that i'm way too inexperienced with C and emulator programming, not to mention the WonderSwan hardware itself. I'll try to improve it some more, but I can't promise anything.

synch

I could give it a look, but... are there any "worth playing" games for the WS ? I mean, in english (or at least (J) translated). And, anyway, I'd prefer starting a new WS emu, rather than continuing an opensource one, as I have most of the gui framework done for my gameboy emu. But I've too little free time, and the WS isn't the most interesting console to emulate out there, imho.

My point being, just wait for some WS fan to code a proper emu, or learn some coding and give it a try :)

xdaniel_FWB

Living RCP Hungup
Most WS games sadly are in Japanese (besides three Digimon games and the WonderBorg robot's software cart) and while there are several translation for other games out there, most are incomplete or just announced...

Well, I'm going to learn some proper C and just try my best because it doesn't seem like there are too many people still out there that are both, WS fans and coders ^^"