What's new

DeSmuMe Compatibility List.

Low Lines

absolutely nothing....except there are 2 new NDS roms releases and you haven't done them LOL that's so not like you Rockmangames!! LOL

(might give me a couple of seconds to catch up....gah too many!!)

Cyberman

Low Lines said:
Well don't take it like that from me....I am just curious how things work around here....And the fact you became a moderator aroused my curiosity to ask about it....In general =]
Becoming a moderator is under the emutalk "don't ask don't tell" clause.
Basically it will remain in it's enigmatic state forever :D

I was never asked how I became a moderator fortunately. I also said he was the new mod in the forum not necessarily a new mod (hmmm). Anyhow, Sorry to have you disturbingly thrown into the lions den like that WhiteX. :) (The good part is the lions were just fed by using another emutalk member ) :)

Low Lines. I recomend you organize your information a bit into a neutral format. If for example you use an XML data base you should use meta data for your Image data base of the covers. If there is no cover the data base obviously won't contain said image (well DOH). Point being is you should be able to write a program to building your data you need for your flash info from this. You can have seperate data bases that use to 'primary' release number as the reference and allow you to just add the information with a cut paste and a bit of editing.

I suppose I'm too programming oriented :D

Cyb

Cyb

Last edited:

Low Lines

I am actually using the SERIAL NUMBER as my point of reference that links them all together though I cut it down to the middle part since it is only necessary.

ie ASMP,A4DJ,AVJJ, etc

If you visit the Nintendo.co.jp website they actualy organise their game info according to the serial ie instead of using complex php like the US Nintendo site does.

This may sound a bit dumb coming from someone who dwells so much in XML but what's meta data?? I've heard of that term but I am no genius with words :( . Anyway ATM covers are named according to the serial (ie ASMP.jpg) and are loaded into the Flash whenever the rom details are reset. And I can always throw in an if statement in the case the image cannot be found. I'm sorry just explain it a little bit simpler Cyberman. It's funny because although I may be a bit of a novice around here....the IT class I have just finished barely scraped how to design a simple HTML web page!!

Hmm....I'm really sorry about the moderator bit :( I guess I must be too much like a cat.....The curiosity will probably kill me one day...:bouncy: Congrats WhiteX anyway.:holiday:

Cyberman

Low Lines said:
I am actually using the SERIAL NUMBER as my point of reference that links them all together though I cut it down to the middle part since it is only necessary.

ie ASMP,A4DJ,AVJJ, etc

If you visit the Nintendo.co.jp website they actualy organise their game info according to the serial ie instead of using complex php like the US Nintendo site does.
No substitute for being lazy and in a hurry to crank out crap! ;)

Low Lines said:
This may sound a bit dumb coming from someone who dwells so much in XML but what's meta data?? I've heard of that term but I am no genius with words :( .
It behoves one not to use arcane language. Err :D Meta Data is Data about Data. IE "This is the cover for S# blah blah" the data about the data (which happens to be the image). is it's the cover. See? :)
Low Lines said:
Anyway ATM covers are named according to the serial (ie ASMP.jpg) and are loaded into the Flash whenever the rom details are reset. And I can always throw in an if statement in the case the image cannot be found. I'm sorry just explain it a little bit simpler Cyberman. It's funny because although I may be a bit of a novice around here....the IT class I have just finished barely scraped how to design a simple HTML web page!!
Shocking truth schools teach less in more time these days. LOL. I'm shocked. Of course the term IT came into being AFTER I graduated from a university. They instead called it IS (Information Systems).
HTML still sucks even though it's under gone much improvement over the years. I prefer using XML because it's a more rigorously put together language, and had intellegent features added in (such as the nifty template features and parsing features etc.). In summary you didn't miss much although you need to know enough to set up a basic page, believe it or not that is ALL you need, because you can use XML and other more flexible (and less anoying too) things to make the page useful. I HATE the idiotic way tables are made using HTML GAH (mutter mutter).

Now If you have it all organized as you say, why is it taking you so long, it should be like 3 minutes to take a rockmangames notice and convert it to a data base update :D

Cyb

Low Lines

Hmm...try 5 hours :( I timed myself....that's the time it took to write up a fresh iDeaS 1.0.0.8 Compat List and this was just using a blank copy and changing 2 nodes per game.....I and I already subtracted my break/stuff around time from that 5 hours too....And I was being really robotic about it. Vertically Cascaded both documents, went from 0001-0463 in Rockmangames list and searched for them by keywords in the other. Maybe I just suck....though 3 mins would be something to brag about!!

That meta data I have seen before....when I look at other peoples examples and that....though I just recognise a particular node as each thing, which relies on keeping a strict ordering of XML data...here's an example

<compat>
<game>
<serial>AHBE</serial>
<status>minor graphic errors & slow</status>
<playability>1</playability>
<name>4 In 1 - Monopoly, Boggle, Yatzee & Battleship (U)</name>
</game>
</compat>

I think it may differ a little when you are using XML with Flash...Though I can't be sure.....I am just cutting out anything I don't need to save on filesize and time.

And with the Covers....in my Flash file I call for them like this....

this.loadMovie("../images/covers/small/"+serial+".jpg","cover",1);

// loadMovie is an external import function for things such as images and other flash files
// in the brackets there are 3 fields (url link, new movieclip name, depth);

Hopefully this is relevant....And I'll also point out that I am trying to make the XML files as SIMPLE as I can so in the case someone like sigloiv have any interest in taking it upon themselves to update a compat list (*wink wink* lol)....It shouldn't be too hard for them to work it out and/or adapt.

Yeah luckily I have made it my job to jump ahead of these IT lessons in my own time. Or right now I might be just another n00b asking for X game :bouncy: .
Here's a laugh too....next semester I am gonna have my first lesson on Flash and Actionscript EVER :drool: (About time)

Anyway today I am gonna get stuck into the DeSmuME compat list....though I only got a few hours because it's my friends birthday today. :holiday: But I should get that done some time tomorrow and then it should just be fixing up any tiny problems in my code and then I'll be able to show off what this lazy bugger has been doing for the past week :evil:

Low Lines

Oh and I've noticed that nearly 30%-40% of games according to Rockmangames get the same game error (ie "Unable to read the data. Please turn the power off and reinsert the Game Card")

I'm wondering if it's not blaintly obvious to anyone else but am I right in assuming that it comes up with this error because it is trying to write to the save RAM memory??

I know a lot of games have ongoing save data that update frequently on an auto-matic basis so I is it safe to assume we got 200+ or so games that want to save but can't because the emulators aren't coded to handle save ram data??

Anyway that's just my assumption and it's a new status issue I've added into my compat database because I am very sure that this is the problem...although it is a very n00bish area of emulation, IT IS a major issue with a lot of the games (just refer to all of Rockmangames compat tests) if save data can be properly emulated there might be one hell of an increase in compatibility....anybody wanna argue/verify this assumption?? Correct me if I'm wrong?? :unsure: Nice work Rockmangames btw, as well to everyone else who is contributing into this thread here (and all the compat ones at that)

Low Lines

DeSmuME 0.3.4 XML List is done and it only took 4 hours (oddly 1 less than the iDeaS one)

I just wanna do a little bit more to the Flash File and I'll stick it up on my site...particularly I gotta get some form of credits showing cos I really hate to not give those who have helped no credit for the work they've done :unsure: (Particularily Rockmangames)

Though Rockmangames, I must say there definitely needs to be some revising on testing which I'll make a post for, that'll hopefully also revise upon my own status issues so people like Cyberman can tell us if there needs to be any bits we need work on....More on that later....Though I do appreciate all the effort Rockmangames (and people like him) put into these threads and all I wanna do is help and make them better at what they do (and not offend anyone in the process)....

:bouncy: but I think terms such as "fully playable" need to be revised, because they may mislead readers into the wrong assumption a game is properly emulated. I think I did a fairly good job at analysing all the compatibility info in this thread.....though there's most definitely going to be some argument with *some* of the games, some of which I have tested myself and got different results (as it happens with emulation =] )

Keep up the great work everbody =] More news from me in my own thread next time :evil:

Low Lines

Sorry man your friend has got it wrong.....Officially DeSmuME is still at 0.3.3 but Normmatt compiled and unofficial build (as it's been called) that has some added features the orginal did not have.....

There are apparently several different groups working with the DeSmuME source and none of them have made any official releases yet except for maxhoov's NeeDS....

Low Lines

I think some people seek revenge/violence when they are mislead ;)
I got this chick friend who's like that...makes you feel sorry for the guy that hooks up with her

At least it was a relevant question...=] Hmm 0.4.8 how many years do you think it'll be until there is a 0.4.8 release version?? (Considering Project64 is only up to 1.5, DeSmuME has got a long way before that ;))

NoeOM

Mankind Member
Low Lines said:
At least it was a relevant question...=] Hmm 0.4.8 how many years do you think it'll be until there is a 0.4.8 release version?? (Considering Project64 is only up to 1.5, DeSmuME has got a long way before that ;))

PJ64 is up to 1.6, and 1.7 is in beta stage!

Anyway, version control may differ between projects, i.e., DeSmuME 1.0 may be released before PJ64 1.7. The autor can just consider there has been major changes and update major version number... or so.

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

0480 - Sudoku Mania (U) - The data could not be written. Turn
off the power and reinsert the game card.

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

0481 - Sudoku GrindMaster (U) - The data could not be saved. Please turn the power off and insert Game Card again.

Last edited:

Low Lines

Crap I really have been under a rock with Project64 :(

DeSmuME managed to get to 0.3.3 in about 3-4 months before it became illegal for the author to work on it and those who decide to pick up the project will most definitely take it at their own pace, why even some of them will/have changed the name of the emulator.

Yay!! Rockmangames has some new compat stuff!!.....Too bad my site isn't up yet....Back to work

OP
spotanjo3

spotanjo3

Good job!

But..at LAUNCH, there is OLD NDS logo and I hate that. Why dont you use NDS LITE logo? Because it is a very nice looking NDS LITE! ;)

Low Lines

hmm...an odd request (my friend said I should include keyboard shortcuts, might do that though)...shall I also include the Nintendo DS Lite console pic as well?? (I'm keeping the old NDS console pic though) :bouncy:

Last edited: