What's new

Vista + DX10

Alchemist

I read an article on Gamespot that gave me renewed hopes in Vista.

Like everyone else, I had worried that Vista was going to be nothing more than a graphical update of Windows XP, but since the introduction of 3d desktop features, windows has had to rethink their graphics driver in order to better accomidate these features. In essence, the operating system will run better on machines with graphics cards, and those machines will recieve a performance boost of up to 6x the speed now.

Plus, Directx 10 will introduce many new light blooming and graphics processing features that will no doubt be exploited by Unreal engine 3 games.

I'm still a Linux junky, but this is encouraging news for the world of PC gamers.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Jump in DRM. Jump in 800 mb+ eaten by the system. Jump in graphic cards with PS2.0+ probably.
There isn't really that much to be exicted about vista. Did I mention that microsoft needs to rework a lot of code and that a lot of planned changes might not get in there? On top of all that, microsoft is having trouble with the EU, and they might slam down more restrictions on microsoft's OS, and then microsoft will be in trouble. So the future is very bleak, or at the very least, we cannot see what will happen.

WhiteX

DirectX 10 games will only work on Vista AND a DX 10 vid card, it is to trash you very expensive 7800GTX and go buy another one for an OS just released, therefore highly bugged.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Vista sucks, many built in DRM protections. Extremly hardware requiring. Just many unnecessary stuff. The nice features on Vista will come to XP64 to.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Oh please, when Vista is released all of you will grab it regardless of your feelings - Don't believe me? XP won't live forever and sooner or later the market is going to shift to Vista so that XP will become obsolete.

The same things were said by people when XP's release was coming, "Theres no way i'm installing that, activation blah blah blah" and yet now XP has suddenly managed to get on all of our machines.

I don't see any reason to judge the OS before it has even come out, that would be silly... it'd be far wiser to take a wait and see approach. Vista might be crap and it might not be. Lets wait till its released properly to the public before we pass judgement, k?

Miretank

Lurking
I don't believe people will upgrade to Vista so soon, a lot of people still have no enough hardware for it. Other thing is a lot of people still use 98. Obsolete or not, XP will be running on a massive number of PCs for a long time, remember that Service Pack 3 will come yet.
Of course, like happened before, everyone will upgrade for Vista. But not so soon.

I agree when you say "Lets wait till its released properly to the public before we pass judgement", but reading articles and seeing screenshot, Vista will be more an eye candy than a great OS, in my opinion of course.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
No i won't use it if it's not necessary. When XP came knew i that the NT systems was better than the old DOS based once, because i had already used win 2k.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Windows XP is not nessicary, I could run windows 95 if I just wanted e-mail; in a sense XP is eye-candy as it is nothing more than Windows 2000 with bells and whistles. Since Vista is in the same family as XP I wouldn't nessicarily say that it is a bad OS yet - there are a lot of similarities between XP and Vista.

Miretank

Lurking
Since Vista is in the same family as XP I wouldn't nessicarily say that it is a bad OS yet - there are a lot of similarities between XP and Vista.
A bad OS it won't be for sure - but why should I upgrade to Vista if I already have a good XP? Vista requires to much hardware power, and the only cool thing I've seen on it (until now, maybe m$ will improve) is the Aero style. Other than that, XP still reigns over Vista.

Plus that, they may say DX 10. But if I want M$ games, I would buy a 360, not upgrade my pc just to play Halo 2.

Doomulation

Vista is microsoft's worst OS yet, but we can be pleased that many hackers will probably make sure that we can get around a lot of DRM and crap in Vista. But I don't think we should get excited nevertheless, because as stated above, Microsoft will probably have to cut out a lot that was planned for Vista, which basically makes it a Windows XP with mich higher requirements, more eye candy and a bit higher security, which, in time, will also be broken, or hackers will find new flaws to exploit so the history with Windows Update will continue.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
ScottJC said:
Windows XP is not nessicary, I could run windows 95 if I just wanted e-mail; in a sense XP is eye-candy as it is nothing more than Windows 2000 with bells and whistles. Since Vista is in the same family as XP I wouldn't nessicarily say that it is a bad OS yet - there are a lot of similarities between XP and Vista.

I wouldn't run win 95 bacause it's unstable. XP has more features than 2k, and the "eye-candy" can be turned off.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
MiretanK.O said:
XP still reigns over Vista.
Vista hasn't even been fecking released yet. Of course XP reigns over it, hell even Linux reigns over Vista.

Doomulation said:
Vista is microsoft's worst OS yet
Of course, and you know this how? It's not even finished or in the shops yet!

The key word is it is unreleased, the lot of you are talking Bullshit about a product you haven't even got yet - heck I might as well save you all the time and say that Blue-Ray is a crap technology because it hasn't been released yet EITHER.

The worst os yet? No - that was Windows ME.

arnalion said:
I wouldn't run win 95 bacause it's unstable. XP has more features than 2k, and the "eye-candy" can be turned off.
If you don't know what you're doing even Windows XP is unstable.

If we're all going to assume things are bad automatically theres no point getting a Playstation 3 either because that is unreleased, and by all your logic its going down the toilet. Ignorance is bliss, lets all believe everything we read in the news shall we?

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Yeah i've heard bad things too, but if you are looking for things like that you'll find them on just about everything that is coming out in the future - best policy is to find out for yourself rather than believing everything you hear. When the final Vista comes out I will try it and judge it for myself and not allow others to judge it for me.

I think people are more bothered that they will have to upgrade their systems to take advantage of it but in reality by the time its released next year people will have done it anyway. Every OS that has been announced has required better hardware and Vista is no different. Nobody is forcing anyone to use Vista either.

Eventually game makers are going to start producing games for Vista like they do XP now, you won't be able to just ignore Vista in 3 years once it is as big as XP is now. For now it might be unnessicary but time changes things :D

Last edited:

Doomulation

ScottJC said:
Of course, and you know this how? It's not even finished or in the shops yet!
Okay, to be specific, I list is as the worst OS from Microsoft yet from the information we have.
For example, what is this crap that your hardware needs DHCP to view HD movies in its full resolution? There will probably be more restrictions, I believe, in the future, and if not for Vista, for next-gen microsoft systems.

Miretank

Lurking
ScottJC said:
The worst os yet? No - that was Windows ME.
Yup. But why? Cause it has not great improvements (and required more hardware afaik), and imo its even more unstable than 98. Vista will be the same, about XP. That's why I won't upgrade to Vista, and that's why I think XP will never fall in oblivion. Though better OSes will come, of course.

Now, for the argument "Vista wasn't released yet", it makes no sense for me. So why are we discussing about it anyway? :p We're discussing using the knowledge we have about the beta builds, and all that Microsoft is promising.

OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

I can vouch for the fact that ME was the worst operating system ever.

I'm merely impressed with the fact that Microsoft used some originallity in designing Vista, instead of just using options that have been around in OS X.

Miretank

Lurking
I'm merely impressed with the fact that Microsoft used some originallity in designing Vista, instead of just using options that have been around in OS X.
Haha, very well remembered. M$ sucks itself, needed to steal some Apple's idea. Honestly, the only thing that calls my attention on Vista is the new start menu, with that finder option. :p