What's new

Vista + DX10

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
WhiteX said:
If all the games and emus we like to play were released on Linux as well, Windows would be a waste of money.
Wishful thinking but thats never going to happen in our lifetime.

WhiteX

Oh, yes most likely never, unless a rich dude throws money at it and expect profit, but then Linux would prolly be a crappy as Windows.

Miretank

Lurking
My opinion: Vista is a piece of shit. It is the EXACT same thing as XP service pack 3. Microsoft are so shitting themselfs: ooo we made glass transparency. That is the only thing they did add exept IE 7 which is available on XP. Vista is a waste of money.
As said before, won't be the same thing.
Adding the fact the IE 7 is already avaible on XP (very buggy imo btw), you also can have Windows Vista (put the build number here) SideBar running under XP. It's not all, everyone may know that Window Blinds 5 supports pixel-per-pixel transparency, so it's already possible to have transparent window frames and borders. M$ already put its finger on this and prohibited KoL, the guy who made the best Vista skin for WB5 (for XP of course), of distributing his Window Blinds theme. What a shame Microsoft...

In fact I'm waiting anxiously for SP3, it'll have more security updates of course and I'm expecting an addition of new features on XP. Not all the features on Vista, but at least the more useful.

smcd

@WhiteX, WINE is improving quite nicely and can run most games and programs (seems to have a bit of problems with COM objects and a few other things though) so maybe one day "most" programs will be available under linux, at least on x86 machines :)

OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

Wine has major issues with direct x and copy protection; though cedega is progressing nicely, using windows apps on linux kinda defeats the purpose.

What I started this thread saying was that, though Vista appears slightly disapointing Microsoft Corp. has made the effort to make their operating system run more smoothly. Namely, the new video drivers will help to boost our hardware power; this includes the new DX10 specific games.

Some people just have a chip on their shoulder for Microsoft. God forbid the company actually wants to make money! Since when is that the point of business? Seriously, Mac has been charging exhorbitent prices for their products for years (only recently ended by the Mac mini), but they have a polished product. Microsoft took the opposite approach, make an easy to distribute operating system that is cheap; what they had to sacrifice was quality. And guess what? We all buy these products. So stop whining. If you hate Microsoft, just go away and use something else. I personally, have a dual boot Kubuntu and Xp system.

WhiteX

sethmcdoogle said:
@WhiteX, WINE is improving quite nicely and can run most games and programs (seems to have a bit of problems with COM objects and a few other things though) so maybe one day "most" programs will be available under linux, at least on x86 machines :)

I´ll look more into it, i know jack about Linux right now.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Alchemist said:
Wine has major issues with direct x and copy protection; though cedega is progressing nicely, using windows apps on linux kinda defeats the purpose.

What I started this thread saying was that, though Vista appears slightly disapointing Microsoft Corp. has made the effort to make their operating system run more smoothly. Namely, the new video drivers will help to boost our hardware power; this includes the new DX10 specific games.

Some people just have a chip on their shoulder for Microsoft. God forbid the company actually wants to make money! Since when is that the point of business? Seriously, Mac has been charging exhorbitent prices for their products for years (only recently ended by the Mac mini), but they have a polished product. Microsoft took the opposite approach, make an easy to distribute operating system that is cheap; what they had to sacrifice was quality. And guess what? We all buy these products. So stop whining. If you hate Microsoft, just go away and use something else. I personally, have a dual boot Kubuntu and Xp system.
Do beware that microsoft is struggling for market dominance, and has been using illegal means of doing so. Microsoft is upgradings its OS to make sure to conquer out other OSes, such as Linux, and to make more companies and people buy their Operating System. That's all.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Winex supports direct3d. Why use IE when microsoft don't follow the web standards that exists? They're trying to create new standards all the time that only IE can use.

EDIT: BTW i saw a test between windows and wine some time ago. They ran applications and games in wine and compared to windows. Wine won atleast half of the tests lol

Last edited:

Blacklord

Banned
You know what i think? I think Bill Gates should be shot and his money given to poor people. That will teach em to try to suck every penny out all computer users and choke all other OS providers. I mean i like Windows and microsoft in general but i don't like their way of getting on top. It's the buyers decision not theirs.

Miretank

Lurking
Cause the Windows rules over the world... :\ It's necessary nowadays. Though Linux is growing fast, and more effectively.

OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

Blacklord said:
So true. Well like before lets hope Bill Gates trips and falls over a cliff.

How many millions have you spent on humanitarian aid, hmm? I'm guessing like, none. Gates, however, has. Yes, he's the leader of a multi-billion dollar enterprise; yes, his operating system is dominant. Does that make him a bad human being? Doubtful.

The pure fact of it is, no one is forcing Windows down your throat! There are choices. If you hate Microsoft, USE THEM, and stop this childish whining.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Alchemist said:
How many millions have you spent on humanitarian aid, hmm? I'm guessing like, none. Gates, however, has. Yes, he's the leader of a multi-billion dollar enterprise; yes, his operating system is dominant. Does that make him a bad human being? Doubtful.

The pure fact of it is, no one is forcing Windows down your throat! There are choices. If you hate Microsoft, USE THEM, and stop this childish whining.
Couldn't agree more, people who say they won't use vista will all be using it by the end of this decade, It is almost a certainty... grow up people. Stop whining and use Linux if you hate Microsoft so much - fact of the matter is without Microsoft, this world would be ruled by another OS - probably Linux and we'd hate them equally as much.

WhiteX

As I said, if Linux was to lead, it would be as crappy as windows.
My beef now is with PC gaming.

Miretank

Lurking
I really can't blame Windows and Microsoft as long I use the software. I'm satisfied with it, it surely makes its work for my needs.

For Linux, I like it very much, I've used FC 3 and the old Mandrake. But as I'm using PC just for fun, I don't have why to use it while now.

Now that Microsoft could be a less greed with their products, hell yes, they could be.