What's new

What do you want in Project64 ?

smcd

chriharr said:
I would Like to see the following
.Animated PJ64 Intro when Executing the exmulator
.Customisable PJ64 Window Skins(maybe)
.Better support for RAR and ZIP archives(inc PPMd in WINZIP 10)

The first 2 items are a lot of fluff that'll further increase the requirements to run pj64, thus limiting the user base. As for the third item, PPPMd is and has been available in 7zip archives for a while ;)
chriharr said:
I would not like to see support for
.7zip because it is an extremely unstable archive format and Winzip and WinRAR native archive formats produce better compression etc.

That is silly to say. 7zip is stable and zip compression levels don't exceed that of 7z, and WinRAR does produce good compression usually close to 7zip (very rarely but sometimes better than even)... but why exclude an obviously popular format just because you don't like it? :p Anyhow those are my opinions, not that they matter over all.

WhiteX

sethmcdoogle, can you enlighten me on 7zip, i mean, my idea of it is the same of the dude, is it not unstable?
I mean the only files i picked up on 7zip gave me a lot of CRC errors that i only solve by decompressing them on safe mode.

Clements

I've had no problems decompressing 7zip files, although I didn't like the 7zip application itself (prefer WinRAR for everything).

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
I might be wrong, but I think 7z is so flexible in its ability to compress and is used now by a number of different compression programs that this can cause errors for some. Yet I have seen around 10 people request 7zip support for P64 in this thread and this was the first I have seen for better ZIP and RAR support.

I have never had a problem with 7z format, but I have had problems with RAR not displaying all of the files even when using WinRAR to open them. Everyone has a favorite format. No one should disregard one format only because THEY don't like it when thousands of other people obviously love it.

This is not the right topic for that debate. This is not even the right FORUM for that debate!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
1.6 supports zip (zlib)
1.7 has zip and 7zip support.
rar afaik is not free for compression.

todo: details of the 7zip support.. but zilmar got it basically working already.
zip will remain for state saving etc (and for rom loading) its faster and mature.

caveman

caveman
D.Farougia said:
I can give you this if you you're still needing, Jabo

What I want in PJ64:
- Be able to take screenshot with 3d data that I can patch in Maya or 3ds
max (I don't know if it's possible, but it could be sweet)
- Surround sound Support
- A picture of the packaging of the game when I choose it in the list (like the screenshots in MAME)
- A better 2D integration in game, because it isn't really beautifull
- The Same name between roms save and Quick save
- Sync game to Audio compatible with most of game

Merci pour ce superbe émulateur.

I love Maya, its pimp...

And it renders fairly fast with a quadro FX 4000 and the gelatoo software

Last edited:

Clements

arnalion said:
Ah, how many? More then 5, less then 100? :p
A better question, is it worth it?

Many more than five, including almost all the later major Rareware titles:

- Banjo-Tooie
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- Donkey Kong 64
- Jet Force Gemini
- Mickey's Speedway USA
- Perfect Dark

These games all have Dolby Surround Support. If something is present on the original system, then it needs to be emulated if you want accurate emulation, so yes it is worth it.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the Dolby ProLogic should work, and should have worked from v1.0 - does anyone know for sure that it doesn't?
as i've said before, pro logic is a 2 channel virtual surround system, and not very good. so most users won't care?
the place youre likely to find a dolby prologic decoder is in your (stereo) TV, typically a surround option in the menus. ive never noticed much improvement from it with real N64 or anything else.

Last edited:

gendoikari4

How about some 64 bit support

I am not sure of the details, but I would think that compiling for 64 bit systems would speed up emulation on AMD64. This way each n64 register could be stored in a single 64 bit register. There are also double the registers on an AMD64 or EMT64 chip, and I suspect that this could make nearly all parts of the emulation RAM free (except for n64 RAM calls of course). If there's anybody who knows pj64's code well enough to comment as to the plausibility of this idea, do comment. IE most would have to be rewritten because it is in asm, or it is programmed in visual studio, and the only modification would be to select compile for x64 etc.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I dont want to make this thread into a defending-features one, but in terms of audio PJ outputs audio the same to your sound card as the N64 would to it's audio output.. if you have an audio receiver capable of decoding Dolby you can use PJ with that just like you would use your N64.

So automatically it's less of an "accuracy" issue and more of a wish list item, and last I checked dolby pro-logic is proprietary and patented decoding mechanism that I dont think is well suited to be in an emulator. Not to mention as smiff said, it actually is widely regarded among audio enthusiasts as simulated surround sound, ie, it's not very impressive.

Anyway it's a really cool idea all aside, and I can definitely see why someone would want PJ to support multiple speaker setups, maybe we can do something else that is similar in the future.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them comin!

Last edited:

jahra!n

3d Sterioscopic rendering support? I know NVidia graphic cards has support for this in some games but it doesnt work with the emulator. I know it can't be to hard to implament, its just a matter of rendering 2 channels overlayed, one with a camera slightly shifted to the right, and another with the camera slightly shifted right.

anoriega

Fast Forward

The ONLY thing missing from PJ64 that I've experienced and loved in other emulators is the ability to speed up emulation by holding down a button, to fast forward the game. I HATE sitting through the cutscenes at the beginning of Ocarina of Time..

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
anoriega's statement made me think of something that could be a plugin-specific feature.

Jabo, your audio plugin allows "Sync game to Audio" while zilmar's does not (Are there other audio plugins that can be used in PJ64? I don't know.) which limits the FPS to match the audio speed. With this turned on, it makes "Limit FPS (F4)" a self-defeating feature by doing nearly the same job as I see it.

Since I try to always use Sync (the audio is more smooth for me using this over Limit FPS), if I want to speed through cutscenes as anoriega suggested, I leave "Limit FPS (F4)" turned off and I turn off Sync until the scene is over and turn Sync back on. However, the plugin option does not have a shortcut.

My idea: an OPTION in your plugin to turn off Sync when Limit FPS is turned off and back on the same way. By doing this, pressing F4 effects both, allowing the jump in speed some want for skipping cutscenes.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
chriharr said:
I would not like to see support for .7zip because it is an extremely unstable archive format and Winzip and WinRAR native archive formats produce better compression etc.
False. 7z may not be a completely stable format (though I would venture that is far more stable now than it was), but it almost always compresses better than Zip and usually matches or beats RAR. In fact, the extremely good compression ratio is probably the biggest reason why it's gaining in popularity.

There is also the advantage that 7z is an open source format (licenced under the LGPL) while RAR is proprietary.

StrikerMan780

One thing to have in project 64 is to have an FPS Limit Option as an alternative to Sync Game with audio, and another good thing to have is Auto CF (auto Counter Factor) like 1964 so games will run a lot faster and smoother, making Goldeneye, MK Trilogy, Quake2 and many other MUCH faster. You should give these features a try.

Last edited:

nevinsb

StrikerMan780 said:
One thing to have in project 64 is to have an FPS Limit Option as an alternative to Sync Game with audio, and another good thing to have is Auto CF (auto Counter Factor) like 1964 so games will run a lot faster and smoother, making Goldeneye, MK Trilogy, Quake2 and many other MUCH faster. You should give these features a try.

Right now the 1.7 does have new version of "Audio Timing" Still needs some work, but should make you happy.