Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw on the thread someone mentioning people who are trying to convert the mmap function into a function that would work under Windows (Mentioned in my link), but I'm not sure if they will release it or how long it will take. I'm not doing it myself because I'm dual booting right now so I can use the converter under Linux.

It might work under Cygwin with the gcc compiler, but my experience with that has been not so good.

I would suggest either waiting or find another converter to do the job. Mariowario said that he knew of 2 converters, so if he tells us the other one you can use that.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. I don't want these models for mods or anything like that. I want them for references. Me and some friends are designing a small game, and I'm the 3d guy.
    So thats all I want them for...

Thanks,
    Preston556
    (thought I'd explain myself)

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    geez SIX YEARS .. and it was well deserved;

the people that hoarded the melee converters are total ass monkeys- six years!. also i know someone working on another converter, but I'm not sure if he wants to go public about it.... anyway I'm sure someone on facepunch will no doubt rip the game silly and post the models for fame. so I'd just keep your eyes peeled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mariokart64n View Post
    the people that hoarded the melee converters are total ass monkeys- six years!. also i know someone working on another converter, but I'm not sure if he wants to go public about it.... anyway I'm sure someone on facepunch will no doubt rip the game silly and post the models for fame. so I'd just keep your eyes peeled.
    I assume they hoarded them because of a slightly similar situation you ran into before. Credit stealers. Leeches, whatever people call them o_e
    Quote Originally Posted by Deku Snifitroid
    Due to my college loans that I'm still paying off, and the fact that I rent instead of owning, I'm a nega-thousandaire.

That's really bad, because the only way to win at life is to get the high score, and I've already got a penalty this early on. If you don't have one of the top ten scores when you die, you can't enter your initials on the scoreboard.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know, if its been 6 long years, I don't think its gonna happen soon >.<

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I might just be one person, but, I always thought the purpose of the coder is to release their tools, not expecting anything in return.

At least I don't give a **** what people do with mine. I mean, you make tools to be used, and you release tools so that others can use your tools, without requiring any credits whatsoever. I mean, should the people who made Photoshop ask credits for every work you make on Photoshop? Should the people who made the Adventure Game Studio ask you to give credits to these people whenever you want to sell the game?

That's why I'm glad at least some people dare to release the tools.
    Last edited by GaryCXJk; August 10th, 2008 at 16:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryCXJk View Post
    I might just be one person, but, I always thought the purpose of the coder is to release their tools, not expecting anything in return.

At least I don't give a **** what people do with mine. I mean, you make tools to be used, and you release tools so that others can use your tools, without requiring any credits whatsoever. I mean, should the people who made Photoshop ask credits for every work you make on Photoshop? Should the people who made the Adventure Game Studio ask you to give credits to these people whenever you want to sell the game?

That's why I'm glad at least some people dare to release the tools.
    No offense, it's also their hard work, so it's up to them if they want to release something that they put their effort into. For all you know they could just code it in secret and never even tell you it exists.

Also a problem is people who blatantly steal credits and act as if THEY coded the ripper/modelled the model when they're just trying to attract attention.

People who code viewers get sick of these types of people, and may be inclined to not release them. As always a small minority can easily ruin something great.
    Due to my college loans that I'm still paying off, and the fact that I rent instead of owning, I'm a nega-thousandaire.

That's really bad, because the only way to win at life is to get the high score, and I've already got a penalty this early on. If you don't have one of the top ten scores when you die, you can't enter your initials on the scoreboard.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know how hard it is to code stuff, but, in the end, if you keep thinking this way you have to say to yourself, why the **** do you even code then?

It's not like you code to give yourself an ego, right? I mean, requiring people to give you credit for work to help others is kind of requiring people to stroke your egos. I can understand you don't want people to steal custom work, like sprites you've created yourself or edited from existing ones, or custom textures, or high-res versions of low-res models, but creating model converters is coding. You create these programs for others to use, not requiring them to give you all the credits.

It's like the creator of TileMollester, would he require you to give him credits? No, of course not. It can rip all kinds of things, like textures or sprites, and I'm pretty sure that program took even more work than most model converters.

Hell, take LunarMagic, a Super Mario World hacking program. It took several years to perfect that ****ing program. And how many people made game hacks of Super Mario World? It's an aweful lot. Do you really think these people give credits to the creators of LunarMagic? No. And you know why? Because the creator doesn't give a **** what you do with it.

And we have a lot more programs. TPL / BTI converters, SSBB extractors, whole programs to rip various SCUMM based games, you name it.

So really, I think some programmers should just stop this bull****. We have other means as well, and those people who do release their programs without any strings at least do get more credit.

And quite frankly, when it comes to model rips, I'd rather not have my name attached to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, to put it simply; I'm not coding this stuff (Though I might intend to try soon).

Second, whatever reason they have for keeping it to themselves, take that up with them, I'm not [insert name here], I'm trying to understand & explain their motives for not releasing.

Funny though, I've seen examples of people stealing work, even on the same page of a thread the person posted their stuff on, so it does happen. The guy even 'scraped' the watermark off of the texture, but that's another story.
    Last edited by Phazonaddict; August 12th, 2008 at 10:18. Reason: Forgot something, like a Tard :B

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The man speaks the truth. A friend and myself once made a program, converted
    some things. As we let out the beta's, we soon saw that the program was leaked
    on the net, others claiming our labor.
    It isn't easy to have something you worked on for so long be stolen from you,
    and that might be a reason we have yet to see a model ripper.

On the otherhand, we did intend on releasing it. And say you make the program and do not not want others to have it. Please, do not flaunt it. Its only going to make people beg for it. So I vote 50/50 on this app ever being released.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast