What's new

Extracting NES games from Animal Crossing?

celebimc

(I do already own the game, so in a sense, I own the NES games as well) (Not sure if this goes against the rules, so if it does, mods, feel free to lock it.) I've tried extracting the NES games from the Animal Crossing disc. The files that contains all of the games is "famicom.arc". I put that into thakis' rarc expander and it gives me a "famicom.arc_dir" folder. Inside that folder is a folder called "famicom". This contains "game" & "gba" & a bunch of .szs files as well. In the "game" folder, all of the games have an extension of .szs so, I tried putting Clu Clu Land into the Yaz0 tool and it spits out a .rarc file. So, I put that into the rarc expander and it gives me "01_nes_cluclu3.bin.szs.rarc_dir" BUT, that new folder is empty. Any suggestions?

jth

If I remember correctly the NES ROMs in the game folder were just compressed with Yaz0/Yay0(can't recall which) so you just need to put them through that and they'll be "done". I think you ignore the extension the programs give them as being wrong.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Excuse me because I'm probably asking a stupid question:

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just download the NES games somewhere? Or are these NES games so specific that they were only bundled with Animal Crossing (highly unlikely, but I'm just asking)?

OP
celebimc

celebimc

The reason I want to use the NES roms from Animal Crossing is because I've had some issues with Balloon Fight and a couple of other games. jth, just tried opening 01_nes_cluclu3.bin.szs.rarc with an NES emulator and it didn't work.

thakis

rename 01_nes_cluclu3.bin.szs.rarc to .n64 (or whatever the n64 rom extension is) and try to load it in a n64 emu...yaz0dec always gives its output files a .rarc extension, even if the resulting file is no RARC archive.

GaryCXJk

If you remove the szs.rarc from the decoded file, you can just load it up with your NES emulator. Most NES emulators play .bin files well.

By the way, I don't know if it's normal, but it seems that Super Mario Bros. gives weird sounds, sounds not normally heard. Like, better sounds or something.

With this I mean the AXing one.