What's new

Opening .bin files?

celebimc

In the Animal Crossing disc, there are tons of .bin files. I tried opening them using Stuffit Expander as well as thakis' szs tools. I believe that's were the majority of the models are stored. Has anyone been able to open these .bin files?

thakis

Okee...
N64 roms don't have a file system, everything (executable, models, sound, etc) is just one large file (well...the n64 doesn't know anything about files...so it's just "one large rom"...whatever...). So the models are in the bin file, but all the other stuff is there as well. Because every n64 rom has it internal data stored differently (and usually compressed), there are no tools to extract data from them.

But you can try to run the .bin file in an n64 emu with a geometry dump gfx plugin :p

Don_Creek

i found some .BIN files in the Luigi's Mansion ISO [PAL]. it seems to be a kinda file-container. does anyone know a tool for open it? ( b/c i need some map data of Luigi's Mansion xD ) i tried to open it with UltraISO, nope x?

anyway.. now im trying to read the header wich contains following data so far:
- name
- some offsets
- some 0-paddings
- and some unknown parts :?

check attachment for more details.
maybe someone can find out more than i.. xD

smcd

"bin" is a typical generic extension, usually meaning "binary" - these files often have custom formats dependent upon the program using them... you would have the most luck using reverse engineering (an emulator with debugging tools would be handy)