What's new

Help making working ISOs?

emiisdev

Hi!

I am trying to make ISOs of some of my Dreamcast games for testing/playing them on the Chankast emulator. All of these are the original retail games and I have a broadband adapter that I'm using to extract with DC BACKUP UTILITY 1.2b/dcload-ip.

I'll pick a random game that I've ripped so far. I have Street Fighter 3 - 3rd Strike in a folder with the following:
- track01.iso
- track02.raw
- track03.iso

What do I do next? I'm getting a little confused with several guides I've found; they assume my goal is to burn to a CD (ripping music, compressing videos in the process). I don't want this. I need to get this original data into an ISO that Chankast can read. (and if I can remove the extra space in some games that would help with disk space!)

Can anyone help with a link or a guide?

Several people have told me just to download the games, but I don't want to do that. I'm aware of the scene releases but want my own games (some of which have not been released - like SF3:3rd Strike NTSC)

Thanks for any help you can give

Emi ^_^

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
OK, here's a step by step:

1. Look which of the extracted ISO (iso or raw) files has the greatest size.
2. Mount the image that has the greatest size to a virtual drive (alcohol or daemon tools). You might have to rename the image to ".iso".
3. Download and install the latest version of Exoboot.
4. Browse the CD in the virtual drive and extract its contents to the "data" directory of Exoboot.
5. Run Exoboot and make your ISO image bootable. A new .cdi image will be created, mount the new image to your virtual drive, run Chankast and play. :)

OP
E

emiisdev

Hmm..

Having problems with this. When I mount the iso file (track03.iso) in Daemon Tools it *seems* to work. When I try to browse the image I receive a message as follows:

'The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable'

DC BACKUP UTILITY 1.2b didn't give me any error messages - to the best of my knowledge, the disc was dumped successfully. Is there something that I need to do to the iso *before* being able to extract the data?

I actually have been ripping most of my games. I have about 15 so far that are in a Dreamcast folder and none of them mount.

Can you suggest any guides for creating your own ISOs with the Broadband Adapter?

Thanks much!!

Emi ^_^

OP
E

emiisdev

Hi again,

I've managed to get several Dreamcast games working through trial and error using an earlier version of ExoBoot. The newer version kept hanging.

Now I have several games that have different file structures (this example is Shenmue (U) disc 1)

- track01.iso
- track02.raw
- track03.iso
- track04.raw
- track05.raw
- track06.iso

Am I guessing right that I can ignore track01 & track02 as in the previous example? What about track03-06?

I extracted track03.iso and it created (what looks like all of the games files) - they are all zero bytes though.. I received an error when I tried to extract track06.iso - 'fs_iso9660: disc is not iso9660'

Can anyone that backed up Shenmue (or a similar game) help me with what I need to do next? What are track04.raw and track05.raw and how do they fit in when creating the file bootable image?

Thanks much!

Emi ^_^