What's new

Metroid Prime CMDL Viewer (still working on it however)

SarahHarp

Metroid Prime CMDL Viewer (nearing completion)

Yes, I have FINNALY written a CMDL viewer for Metroid Prime Models.
This IS NOT finished yet, as you can see in the screen below, Samus is kinda exploded, but you can definatly tell that Samus is in there! I'm just informing people though that there IS (going to be a finished) metroid viewer soon : )

So when this issue gets resolved I will post the actual viewer here.

And I'd like to practically dedicate this whole viewer to Thakis though. If it wasn't for his immense help and generosity, I wouldn't have been able to finish this. : )

EDIT* Fixed exploded Mesh problem, see post #3.

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Nice job! Now add tristrips/faces :) Thakis helped me a lot with my bmd viewer, but unfortunetly I never finished it enough to get past the stage you're at with this one (heck, his was already 10X better).

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

EDIT* ... I'm such a tard. I was accidently setting the UV's as vertices < .<; So yeah, no more exploded mesh. And Samus is missing an arm becasue, that is where her Arm Cannon goes. .. hehe whups.
(It appears that her arm cannon is on the wrong hand, but that is because I'm looking at her "back")

Last edited:

R-II

Yeah, Thakis dropped several hints that helped my project too.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing progress.

BlueFalcon7

a question about the CMDL format, or any game for that matter, are there any games that have models with NURBS in them because Maya uses NURBS and one of my friends uses Maya a lot and says that no games have been used with NURBS because of how much of a strain on the graphics card it was but that NURBS were for display and making videos (like the kind you would see in car commercials)

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Yeah, CMDL uses polygons.. And actually, I don't recall any game either that do use NURBS.

jerome

can you make an exporter for this? cause that would be real cool. And cna you share the models, or is that a bad thing to ask?

thakis

It's a _bit_ soon to ask for an exporter I'd guess. And models can't be shared of course - they're copyrighted.

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Correct, the export.. will have to wait. But progress update yay!
I have gotten tristrip data to work... though not 100% quite yet. There seems to be a number of differnt attrubutes for each Primitive, and so far if I draw each of them in the same loop, I get crashes ._. So I'll post 2 screens showing the individual 2 first groups : )

Group 1 (3 Attributes): Her face. (see first screen)
And Group 2 (4 Attributes): Sholders and the black connector materail in her joints. (see second screen)

Note: I haven't got the Normals to be displayed yet, so geometry just seems as a flat plane (which I assure you is not ; ) )

--Sarah

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Finished decoding the Tristrip block : ) However I have manually done this for Samus (this will not work for any other file) So with all this new information and hex numbers to work with, I'm going to try and crack the file header, which would further lead to the viewing of basicly all cmdl's. Furthurmore, this also would lead to the actual programl being uploaded here sooner aswell : )

jerome

when you get textures loaded, you think you could post some front back and side views of the model, a hugh help when trying to make a samus model

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

I suppose, I take shots at every big jump of progress : )
Speaking of which, I got the normals implimented. Now I have the entire mesh loaded (all manually though, still working with the header)
The next thing on the list is (should be that damn header.. < .<) UV's : )

Lightningxce

:eek:! Sexy!

Falcon: No, impossible because of the many types of 3d applications usable.

Eg: I can export as a 3ds from 3DS max, or use Deep Exploration to save it..it's still the same mesh.

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

I know the answer however. They use a combination of "tools they made" as well as Maya and C++ ; )

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Well, your right in the sence that you cannot tell the tools they used just by looking at their files, I had to read interviews and other little tid-bits of information to aquire that knowledge.