What's new

Xbox 360 controller, Xinput, with Project 64

Dj Noop

Brand New
I just first want to say to all the people who are getting rumble to work for the 360 controllers: You guys are geniuses, thanks for your time and work!

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth buying this controller. I use a lot of different emulators, but the ones I'm using most are Project 64, psx and dreamcast emus. I have some decent controllers, but I want to know if the 360 one is really versetile or not. Are the joysticks anywhere near as precise as the 64 analogue stick? (Would I be able to look around in Zelda or aim in Goldeneye properly? Controllers really can define how fun a game is, 64 was a living testimony)

Basically, is this a good controller to invest in for computer gaming and emulation? I don't like all the gas on it in websites trying to sell/endorse it. Thanks for any advice.

Oh yeah.. what signal type does the wireless 360 controller work through? Bluetooth perhaps? (I know it doesn't work yet, but if it is bluetooth I just want to know if there's a future possibility of it working without a seperate reciever.)

Last edited:

DevilMayCry

Controllers really can define how fun a game is, 64 was a living testimony
:D N64 pad was a living crap, worst that that is difficult. I wonder who da f*** authorized that thing to be manufactured but getting back to the topic.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth buying this controller. I use a lot of different emulators, but the ones I'm using most are Project 64, psx and dreamcast emus.
You can use the plugin in this topic for rumble support on Project 64.
For ePSXe rumble you need to use XBCD with the modified driver, followthis guide but beware that this is a experimental driver and there are some issues with it (some I've reported myself), also the dude who was developing them is nowhere to be found so don't hold your breath on it.
Finally note that rumble emulation on ePSXe is far from perfect, if the rumble sucks it might also be ePSXe fault.
As for dreamcast I dunno, I've never emulated it.

I have some decent controllers, but I want to know if the 360 one is really versetile or not. Are the joysticks anywhere near as precise as the 64 analogue stick?

I dunno but I bet XBox 360 controller is by far a lot more precise than N64 analog stick so you should have no problem at all.

Basically, is this a good controller to invest in for computer gaming and emulation? I don't like all the gas on it in websites trying to sell/endorse it. Thanks for any advice.
Well if all the sites say the same maybe they are right? :D This pad is excelent there is no better gamepad for PC than this no matter how much you look for (and I've looked a lot) there are only 3 problems:

- The rumble support: DirectX never had rumble what it has is Force Feedback that is used to apply force in driving whells and joysticks, so if you turn your plane or car in a game your device will have a resistance when you try to manipulate it, that why it's called Forece Feedback. There has never rumble so what gamepad manufactors and game coders did was using Force Feedback as a rumble substitute, now MS has a real rumble API for the 360 pad called XInput and obviously no game will make 360 gamepad rumble unless it's patched to use it or the game already supports it (like all new games probably will). For rumble support in old games you'll need XBCD modified driver.

- Deadzone: The driver has no configurable deadzone, this might be a problem with badly coded games. This is not really MS's fault, games should define their own deadzone even if using DirectInput, so shame on them.

- Profiler: There is no keyboard/mouse profiler (used to play with a gamepad games that wont support one) from MS so you'll have to rely on a 3rd party profiler called Pinnacle Game Profiler but that crap is a resource hog using up to 60% of CPU during the game and stealing 20Mb of RAM. To make things worse I'm almost sure that crap was coded in Visual Basic 6... gaming is a very time critical task and using VB6 to do such application is nuts, the coder is a moron. When I've found that my game was running slow due to that shitty software I went to the dude's forum and insulted him, not the nicest thing to do but I really felt like doing it :p
I think that 1st party profilers (like Logitech's Wingman profiler) do some driver level tricks so that the pad send real keyboard/mouse signals and does it without (much) performance loss.

Oh yeah.. what signal type does the wireless 360 controller work through? Bluetooth perhaps? (I know it doesn't work yet, but if it is bluetooth I just want to know if there's a future possibility of it working without a seperate reciever.)
The XBox 360 gamepad uses proprietary radio frequency at 2.4 Ghz, so no you won't be using a wireless pad until MS says so :(

Dj Noop

Brand New
To DevilMayCry,

Dude, thanks for that s*** load of info, no joke, I do appreciate it.

I know what you mean about the 64 controller, but you can't deny how sick the joystick thing was when it first came out. Mario 64, Goldeneye, pretty much ever 64 game: Don't they feel different without that weird looking 64 controller? (The 64 joystick didn't have much room to move so instead you had to get used to being careful and precise with your thumb. It also had a small bit of resistance to movement due to it's plastic parts it was made out of (furthering precision), the spring inside that centers it, and if you've ever opened one up, it has mouse wheels inside, that's why it doesn't jitter and picks up every movement (so your precision skills aren't wasted by faulty hardware). I know at least the PSX joystick stucked because of it's short shaft, large area of movement that stretched the thumb and it's lack of precision. I've used other joysticks from Gamecube to XBox, but none of them have the old qualities 64 had. I'm not defending it's shape or button layout AT ALL.)

That bit about what force feedback is, I didn't know that so thanks. This new system that XBox 360 controllers have.. is it possible to come out with drivers that translate force feedback into XInput? (I'm no programmer, just a fan of them.)

If you search for information on Google, you usually get a crap load of sites trying to sell you stuff. Microsoft is a HUGE company with strong influences, trying to find dissenting voices on the XBox 360 controller is like trying to find serious critism of President Bush on TV. Everyone said the 50 Cent album was going to be crazy good, then it came out, sold 11.4 million in the first 4 days, and turned out to be one of the worst garbage albums put out by any rapper. I'm glad I only burned one copy instead of wasting valuabe cdrs. All this stuff that seems incoherent - it all relates to XBox 360 controllers being gassed up.

I've heard a lot of stuff about it, so I've got a pretty good picture of what this controller is like. I do plan on getting it someday, the only question I have is when, meaning, is it worth buying right away or waiting till I have 30 dollars lying around on the floor. Also, if it's worth buying that or an adapter for existing console controllers. But then again, that's a whole area of crap right there, adapters are the biggest headache to research, especially since you can only get them online (in my area at least).

There is a good chance of better drivers and such coming out for the 360 controller, right? And because the controller is coming from Microsoft, a lot of quality support from other parties and programmers, right?

As critical as you are about 64 pads, thanks for all the info.

Last edited:

DevilMayCry

First I was refering to N64 layout, not the analog stick itself, that 3 point pad is really dumb and yes the PSX pad suck a$$ but that's besides the point.

That bit about what force feedback is, I didn't know that so thanks. This new system that XBox 360 controllers have.. is it possible to come out with drivers that translate force feedback into XInput? (I'm no programmer, just a fan of them.)

That would be great... but I fail to see how without either:
- Patching DirectX thus destroying Force Feedback for everything else so I'm not seeing MS releasing such patch, ever, maybe a 3rd party but it would be difficult.
- With a rootkit like application that would intercept the Force Feedback and call a equivalent XInput function.
- And the best of them all and somewhat more probable (but barely), MS releasing a new driver with Force Feedback compatible rumble as a registry tweak.

The problem here seems that the game may try to call both XInput and Force Feedback thus over rumbling, maybe the drivers could discart Force Feedback calls whenever XInput is started?
As of now there are few solutions and those that exist aren't that great.

I've heard a lot of stuff about it, so I've got a pretty good picture of what this controller is like. I do plan on getting it someday, the only question I have is when, meaning, is it worth buying right away or waiting till I have 30 dollars lying around on the floor. Also, if it's worth buying that or an adapter for existing console controllers. But then again, that's a whole area of crap right there, adapters are the biggest headache to research, especially since you can only get them online (in my area at least).
This pad is very good, but if you are happy with your current pad maybe you should keep using it. Anyway this pad price won't drop, ever, you probably know this already but if you notice while console prices drop gamepad/memory cards/cable prices never drop in any console be it Nintendo, Sega (used to be), MS or Sony so it's really up to you.
As for adpaters you can get one for every console over the internet but watch the price since you have to buy: Console pad + adapter + shipping cost + taxes, buying a 360 pad out of the stores clears all these aditional costs. You can also buy a XBox controller S and use it with XBCD but I guess that going back to the starting point.

There is a good chance of better drivers and such coming out for the 360 controller, right? And because the controller is coming from Microsoft, a lot of quality support from other parties and programmers, right?
I sure hope so but with MS you can never be too sure :D

DraGoNsLaYaZ22

Dj Noop said:
I just first want to say to all the people who are getting rumble to work for the 360 controllers: You guys are geniuses, thanks for your time and work!

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth buying this controller. I use a lot of different emulators, but the ones I'm using most are Project 64, psx and dreamcast emus. I have some decent controllers, but I want to know if the 360 one is really versetile or not. Are the joysticks anywhere near as precise as the 64 analogue stick? (Would I be able to look around in Zelda or aim in Goldeneye properly? Controllers really can define how fun a game is, 64 was a living testimony)

I have heard that there will be a receiver for xbox 360 to make it wrong on the PC. I doubt it will be bluetooth since the wireless controllers are not bluetooth. They are likey to be using some radio frequency.

Honestly, I really like the controller. I have set up the second analog stick as the C buttons, so in games where you can look with one stick and move with the other it makes it very nice; Goldeneye is one of these games. I even use this controller to play PC games. I mainly use it to fly jets in Battlefield 2 when I'm not using emulators.

DevilMayCry

I have heard that there will be a receiver for xbox 360 to make it wrong on the PC. I doubt it will be bluetooth since the wireless controllers are not bluetooth. They are likey to be using some radio frequency.
The source is ExtremeTech review for this controller

Update: We have heard from Microsoft that it plans on supporting the big Guide button, along with the Xbox 360 wireless controllers (using a wireless receiver dongle) in the future. There's no ETA for these updates at this time, but it's good news nonetheless.

Obeydelmejor

Xbox 360 owner
- Profiler: There is no keyboard/mouse profiler (used to play with a gamepad games that wont support one) from MS so you'll have to rely on a 3rd party profiler called Pinnacle Game Profiler but that programme is a resource hog using up to 60% of CPU during the game and stealing 20Mb of RAM.

Naw theres A better one called Control
MK http://www.redcl0ud.com/controlmk/index.html
from the makers of XBCD
One more thing, Control Mk is active only when running in the background. Meaning it wont conflict with the control use in other games when its not active

really small download too use it

Last edited:

frickinN00B

yes im a loser n00b

thus the name

okay so i don't really understand anything that this whole post has stated

if sum1 wants to take the time to explain what to download (with links?), where to put it, and wat the hell that i'm exactly doing to use my 360 controllers.

i will take a punch in the face for it.

:flowers:

mortymcdeathfac

Here's my plugin DLL with rumble strength working. Choose Xinput rumble for xbox360 controllers. Known bug is that xinput rumble controllers must be first.

I downloaded this version of the plugin and put it and the xinput9_1_0.dll file that Crizzle posted in the plugin folder, but I still get an error message that it cant find xinput9_1_0.dll, am I doing something wrong?

WOW! I just realized that this topic is really old! Is there a better way to do this now?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Raking F

hey guys...i know this thread is like three years old...but i need all of those .dll's that were once on rapidshare but no longer. could anybody send me all of the .dll files i need? i want to run a 360 controller on project 64. ive read through most of this thread, so i understand what to do. just need to plugins

actually..i think i found them in the attached zip files by crizzle and luc

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberman

The original thread is over a year old, wouldn't it make more sense to have created a new thread? Hijacking old threads that have had nothing added to them for over a year is not a good idea (and it can be rather confusing to people who contributed to it). Please start a new thread.

Do not double post, if you need to add something edit your last post instead please.

Cyb

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i really would like to see Xinput and wireless support in the XBCD drivers,... its unfortunate that no-one has stepped up to it, i sure as hell have no time to learn all that crap, and keep the installer, inf and registry changes up to date...