What's new

Is there an Orange Swirl BIOS or it`s just a myth ?!

noflip

I know that after a while I`ll be eaten alive `bout posting this thread but I`m starting to think I am out of my mind or something....Is there really an Orange Swirl BIOS or "Orange" is just another word for "Red" for some people....:huh: ???
I`m a n00b with Chankast itself, but I`m not with emulators as a whole so I catch on pretty quick.
I have the RE: Code Veronica sound bug problem and after reading ALL the posts about this bug I have found the solution to this problem - 640:480 or 800:600 resolution (windowed) on Chankast 0.25a pure version (without Chankast Utilities), Z-Write On, Priority - Above Normal, Capcom Hack - on AND A F@&*in' Orange Swirl BIOS !!! I'm sorry that I am so angry but I have spent the last 48 Hours trying to find a way to play this game without this stupid bug and there are a lot of people who claim that they do not have the sound bug problem when using this particular Chankst Configuration with the "legendary" Orange Swirl BIOS.

Now.. I`ve already hex-edited my own BIOS from blue/PAL to red/NTSC and used it with the recomended Chankast configuration but it didn`t help me at all and I just wanna know is there any reason to continue to search for the orange swirl BIOS or the Orange and the Red are the one and the same NTSC BIOS and it`s just not ment to be.

Note to the Moderators of this forum - I am NOT asking for a link for a BIOS or for someone to send it to me. I am just asking for an advice and if it is posible- for how to hex edit my BIOS so that I could end up with an Orange Swirl instead of Red one ( I guess it is okay to ask for this assuming there was a whole thread for this stuff ).
And another thing - This is NOT the same old question posted over and over again - I`ve searched in all the threads about Chankast and no one ever gave an answer to this particular question.
Thank you in advance.

EDIT - after playing for a while with the Hex Editor and dc_flash.bin I`ve came up with Black Swirl but I can`t start the game with it.

EDIT2 - I have managed to start the game with the black swirl but eventually the sound disappeared again. The funny thing is that the second that the sound stopped, windows poped up a messege "Access to C:\Program Files\FlashGet\flashget.exe is denied !" for no apparent reason. Any ideas ?!

Last edited:

WhiteX

Noflip, i guess none of us never tried to hexedit the bios to achieve this outcome as you saw yourself when browsing our forums.

Last edited:

DreamcastFan

the swirls are different colors depending on the region, PAL, US, JAP etc. If you want different color swirls, download a different region bios. There are only 2 colors, blue and red/orange

WhiteX: All dreamcast bootables are hacked. So I don't see anything wrong with editting the bios splash screen.. you didn't even answer his question..

Last edited:
OP
noflip

noflip

:beer: WhiteX
read this thread :
http://www.emutalk.net/chankast/20733-change-dreamcast-bios-pal-span-ntsc-eng.html
and you`ll see why I asked about hex editing. And I sure would like to play the game but I can`t without the sound - I`ve allready missed the storyline cause I didn`t hear most of the conversations in the game !

DreamcastFan 10x a lot
though I still can`t see the reason for some people to call it Orange - I personaly see it purely red :smurf::beer::party:

DreamcastFan

WhiteX said:
nor did you.
actually I did son, his question was is there an orange swirl. I said there are only 2 colors, blue and red/orange. read the thread next time. Btw, he never said anything about anyone of us not asking to hex edit, so I don't know what you were answering to..
quote: As you said it yourself, when statin that no one never asked for this,
i believe ppl never got to Hex edit the bios for an orange swirl because we like to play the games instead of this, but, who knows?

WhiteX

he said that he was not asking about the orange swirl, he was asking about smth else he wanted to hexedit the bios to make the swirl orange instead of the red one we call orange.

I am NOT asking for a link for a BIOS or for someone to send it to me. I am just asking for an advice and if it is posible- for how to hex edit my BIOS so that I could end up with an Orange Swirl instead of Red one se, not the same thing that was asked to death,

This is NOT the same old question posted over and over again - I`ve searched in all the threads about Chankast and no one ever gave an answer to this particular question.

So he did asked:
1 - is there a orange swirl?
2 - if not, how to Hexedit it in order to make one?

I tend to overreact when it gets on copyrighted stuff, and i apologise to noflip for that one and will edit the post for the better understanding of what i meant to say without the bitterness.
Now dreamcastfan, i shall not engage you because you get a little more personal then it should, son.

OP
noflip

noflip

That`s okay WhiteX
Actually all I needed to know was if the "Orange" BIOS is any different from the US and JAP NTSC Red Swirl BIOS because it was a part of the only working configuration of RE:Code Veronica`s sound and now that I know that the Red and the Orange are the one and the same version I... well :) I know that even with the working configuration I still get the sound bug :) but it`s a kind of relief because now I can stop looking. :)
And as for the hex editing - I only did what was recommend in the thread I gave link to and just experimentet a bit with the 211Dreamcast value.
MiretanK.O I sure will but I`ll do it tomorow after school cause It`s almost 1 am right now and I got to go to the uni in the morning.
It`s pretty easy actually if you tried the switching from PAL to NTCS trick really ...the first digit is for the region : 0-Jap, 1-US, 2-PAL and from 3 to 9 - I have no idea :) but I get the Black Swirl
I guess it means that there is no region assigned to the BIOS but when I set it to "8" the game starts.
That`s it for now tomorow I`ll post a screenshot ;)
Goodnight everyone :party:

OP
noflip

noflip

Okay, here`s the deal
I can`t upload the screenshots anywhere cause I don`t have an account in any free server...I actually don`t know any :)
Well I do have but these servers are blocked for non-Bulgarian users ... they are literaly FREE and you can find anything there from mp3 and software to games and movies ( WhiteX don`t freak out :p ) and for that particular reason they are not available for you guys (Internet Policy I guess....).
So MiretanK.O if you really want them PM me your e-mail and I`ll send them to you asap :)
And after that If you want - post them so that the others can see them .
Btw sorry about my bad english but I`m a bit wasted right now :beer:

life_247

There is another colopur of bios from the hello kitty Dreamcast i think. It may have a different swirl.

I can't wait to get my new tv so i can play my little white wonder again.

END-TIME-X

Alpha & Omega
So, all you have to do to get black is hexedit the bios, and change the regional code to 8? Games still work okay? What about the audio? are you still having problems with it? I'd love to try this, and see if setting it to 8 will make the bios regionless, and therefore remove the task of switching between bios files.

EDIT: Nvm. I got it :D

Games still run the same. Thanx for posting this noflip!! :D

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
man, I gotta do this too! :D The black swirl looks much better than the red/orange and blue ^^. (also combines better with my winxp theme ^^)