What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Patching roms with high resolution textures

Status
Not open for further replies.

snocat

Is there a way to patch roms and replace the old texture with high resolution textures permantely without the need of using rice video plugin?

Im running sixtyforce emulator for mac and doubt windows *.dll file would work on a mac. :plain:

Any help or workarounds would be appreciated!

Nin_10_Dough

Even if the rom could be patched, I wonder if a plugin that was designed for standard n64 textures would load them correctly (if at all)?

n64 rom dumps have remained relatively pure imo. Imagine if people started patching "dumped by" textures. Ugh........

enterthehatrix

Web Developer
I know exactly what you mean. It could wipe out the existing copies of the pure dumps... Still, it would be useful for showing a mate without carrying heaps of files around.

Solar

Kebab?
hmm
would be bad if every one were to patch the roms and share them about
but it would be good if i could patch them and upload them to my flash cart and play them on my real n64
has any one actualy ever tried it ?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Solar, that would be pointless, the real N64 uses a resolution of 320x240 or something like that, definitely below 640x480 if I am wrong so high-res textures is kinda useless in this situation.

Plus the fact of how difficult it is to patch a roms textures since all n64 games are made differently and use different compression and packing methods. Even then the n64 plugins would not expect a high-res texture when running Zelda for instance... it is far easier and better to keep textures seperate.

So.. it would not be illegal if done that way.

As for distrobution of such an idea, stupid as it is... you ever heard of an IPS patch? you get a file which changes a rom that you grabbed yourself and use an IPS patcher to patch that rom to contain the new data.

And snocat: sorry but if there is no Mac plugin that loads hi-res textures... you can't use them, nothing I can say will change that fact.

Clements

I'm fairly certain that this would be impossible. The N64 can only address a certain amount of memory, so the altered rom images could never work.

Jokke_r

i don't think he means to use the rom in an N64, he just wants to put replace the textures inside the rom so he won't have to handle the textures and the rom file separately

Clements

The emulators would not be able to use the altered rom either. It'll be too large, the real N64 did not support games of unlimited size, and nor will an emulator.

OP
S

snocat

Yeah, I just wanted to know if there is a workaround so I can load up high res textures on my mac laptop at work. I guess I'll have to play at home then. Thanks for the help though.

eMONKe

mmm, well ROMS can be accessed while they are in a archive. It would be great if you make it that the textures can be in a folder called 'hi-res' in that archive. The ROM will still be loaded up individually, but it will still be bundled with the textures. Making sure ofcourse that the archive doesn't use compression (don't want to slow things down).

Status
Not open for further replies.