What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Using High Res Texture packs with Surreal 64

supermario19

First off I would just like to say that everything I have seen here is amazing. You guys have done some awesome work on these games and I am dying to play them. Heres my problem though, my computer sucks and running an n64 emulator on it is a no go. I do however have an n64 emulator running on my xbox (I dont know if its against forum rules for me to say that or not, but i think it should be ok here) I am using surreal 64, which is a package of 1964, project 64 and ultrahle. I couldn't find it anywhere on the forums of how to get it working for this emulator, or if it the same proccess. If someone could please help that would be great.
(ps sorry I'm kind of a noob here and this might be the wrong topic to be posting this in)
thanks to anyone who can help me.

El Kameleon

i dont honestly think it will work, since you need to be able to change plugin options. i've never used it on the xbox, but i'm sure it wont allow such a thing... and the plugin is written specifically for the PC, not the xbox.

OP
S

supermario19

Well thats too bad, thanks guys.
Also, I think it was discusses somewhere but I couldn't find it, if there was a way to apply the textures right into the rom file somehow, like some way of just compiling all the textures and plugin settings and what not directly into the rom. But I don't know if that would be possible at this time.

Im Bored

lol@censors
supermario19 said:
Well thats too bad, thanks guys.
Also, I think it was discusses somewhere but I couldn't find it, if there was a way to apply the textures right into the rom file somehow, like some way of just compiling all the textures and plugin settings and what not directly into the rom. But I don't know if that would be possible at this time.
You can do that for Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark I think. The guys over at rarewitchproject figured the compression, so yeah... I dont think it allows larger textures though.

OP
S

supermario19

Well I was gonna go check that out but it seems that rare witch project is down at the moment. Too bad too, I used to go there all the time when I was obsessing over the whole stop n swap deal.

Nin_10_Dough

Doesn't surreal64 run the games at 320x240? If that is the case I doubt the textures would matter much, unless you downloaded one that had a different visual style than the orig game. I've only used the emulator once. I thought that the real n64 looked better, but I didn't have a side by side comparision. Also, using the texture packs ups the system requirements. Doubt the xbox could still run them at a decent rate even if it was compatible.

OP
S

supermario19

I never even thought about that part. Its very possible that the xbox might not emulate it smoothly with all the high res textures, but at the same time it doesn't have windows running in the background hogging up most of the resources either. Well I guess if it is possible it will be made someday by someone who cares enough to do it.

Sirmatto

I've been using Surreal64 for quite sometime (although Surreal XXX beta 4.9 is the best version now) and considering the authors have had to tweak and hack a few things on the emulator just to get games to run at a decent speed on the Xbox (it has 64 MB RAM and a 733 Mhz P3 equivalent), I don't think we'll be seeing hi-res textures on the Xbox very soon, unless it happens to be an Xbox 360. Another reason is that Rice hasn't released the sources of his hi-res versions of his plugins, so there's nothing for the Surreal developers to go on, even if they wanted to port it over.

And as far as the resolution, I play it constantly on my roommate's HDTV through component plugins, and it seems to be higher than 320x240...my guess is 640x480, but don't quote me on that.