What's new

Adding and replacing files to a PSX ISO for a game hacking project.

sb iq

I remember awhile back on the romhacking.com forums (before it got shut down) that Cyberman recommended a program for adding and replacing files to a PSX ISO for game hacking projects. However, I cannot for the life of me remember what that program was called.

What was that program called and where can I download it? My game hacking project has come to a screeching halt because of this.

It seems only CloneCD can rip a PSX ISO correctly with the audio tracks intact. I tried using WinISO to add and replace files to the ISO but WinISO does not support the .ccd (CloneCD) format.

Cyberman

sb iq said:
I remember awhile back on the romhacking.com forums (before it got shut down) that Cyberman recommended a program for adding and replacing files to a PSX ISO for game hacking projects. However, I cannot for the life of me remember what that program was called.

What was that program called and where can I download it? My game hacking project has come to a screeching halt because of this.

It seems only CloneCD can rip a PSX ISO correctly with the audio tracks intact. I tried using WinISO to add and replace files to the ISO but WinISO does not support the .ccd (CloneCD) format.
Ehhhh hehehe Romhacking I guess gave up the ghost however Pixel is still out there somewhere. Pixel is the one who recomended this tool he made for hacking ISO's. You should visit Pixels Webthing sometime as there are other things there as well.
Cyb

Cyberman

sb iq said:
Thanks a lot! I'm skimming through the readme right now and I was wondering, if I want to add and replace files do I just open the ISO with the command line:

cd-tools.exe -f "location of ISO"

Then do I use regular DOS command lines to add and replace directories/files? Sorry if I come off as n00b, I haven't used command line based programs in years. T_T
I don't recomend skimming it uses a language to perform the operations. I believe there are a few examples included. Can't remember completely but hey my brain is barely functioning.

NO you can't use DOS commands that's not how it works though.

Cyb

OP
S

sb iq

I found a program called UltraISO that is supposed to add/replace files in an ISO. UltraISO is incompatible with the CloneCD format so I ripped an ISO in the Alcohol 120% format (.mds/.mdf) and the game worked.

Here is when things get weird.

So I have a folder from the game CD called "DATA" and saved it somewhere on my HD. The "DATA" folder is unmodified. Nothing is changed. I use UltraISO to overwrite the "DATA" folder in the ISO with the "DATA" folder I had saved to my HD from the CD.

I run the ISO, and the game no longer works. But I virtually changed nothing!

So now I'm beginning to suspect that either it is my computer or the Windows environment that will not let me add/replace anything to an ISO.

Does Linux have an ISO editor?

Cyberman

There is no Linux ISO image editor I'm aware of.

As for changing things, did you consider the game did not use the actual ISO9660 disk structure to operate? Also did you consider that the ISO modifying program modified the structure of the image as well?

Cyb

smcd

There are commandline tools for making ISOs and such, mkisofs for example. It's rudimentary but can be done to make basic changes to ISOs (mount the ISO, copy out what you need, modify accordingly, use mkisofs to remake an ISO of it)

bcrew1375

Wouldn't that change the structure? Even if PSX games have files, everything has to be exactly where it was, and exactly the same size, unless you modify the executable. Can the program construct the ISO putting each file into a certain sector.

Cyberman

Most PSX games do not use the actual ISO structure that's part of the problem. For example FF7 and Xenogears respectively do not. Xenogears hides the data in it's own file system leaving just enough ISO compatible files for the game to boot up and read the hidden ISO files.

FF7 uses absolute locations of files within the ISO system although the ISO system isn't missing like in Xenogears.

FF8 and FF9 do the same thing only the cluster the entire data chunk into an Image and some File system 'stuff' :D

Perhaps it's time I actually made a few new tools :doh: or something ;)

Cyb

bcrew1375

That's what I'm saying. They don't just read files like a PC game would. An ISO constructing program would more than likely change the layout of the data. Even if all the files are there, they may not be in the right positions. The positions are hard-coded into the executable.

Cyberman

bcrew1375 said:
The positions are hard-coded into the executable.
I know for a fact Xenogears files are NOT hard-coded. I believe the same is with FF7 FF8 FF9 (all square made). They have a hidden non ISO file system that is read at absolute sector locations instead. Chrono Cross does the same thing (just so as you know).

Goto this link for an example of what I'm talking about and click on File Structure for details. You will notice offsets are 3 bytes. This is Minutes: Seconds:Fraction
minutes are 0 - 80
Seconds 0 - 59
Fractions are 0 - 74
Length is in bytes
So if you WANT to change things around you might be able to if you can find FF7 for the playstation hidden file data. It's likely in 'unused' sectors someplace knowing Square.

Cyb