What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

RiSiO's Retro Mario Sixty Four

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Risio's Retro Mario 64. Enjoy!
p1.png

p2.png

p3.png

p4.png

Spoiler:
starcarp.png

p6.png

p7.png

p8.png

p9.png

p10.png

p11.png

p12.png

ddp2.png

ddp3.png

ddp4-1.png

ddp5.png

ddp6.png

ddp7.png

p15.png

p16.png

p17.png

p18-1.png

p19-1.png

p20-1.png

basement1.jpg

p21-1.png

p22.png

p23.png

p26.png

p27.png

p28.png

p29.png

p30.png

p31.png

p32.png

p24.png

p25.png

gb1.jpg

gb2.jpg

gb3.jpg

gb4.jpg

Check out the rest of the thread for a step by step look at this packs progress over the years!
Updated Mirrors by MasterPhW (include Starfix and removed thumbs.db):

Direct download
http://adf.ly/Di9EP

Last edited by a moderator:

Weatherton

I like parts of it a lot, other parts are, I hope, just experimentation on a WIP. The castle roof, for example, needs something less busy. My favorite part is the side of the wall going down to the water in picture two :)

takas

I once started a thread about it, asking if someone wants to make sm64 in the style of Yoshis Island(SNES). Your work is simply great:bouncy: I love the coins!
I would love to see you going more in the direction of Yoshis island with your style!!!
keep it up:)

Last edited:

Krackpipe

I like it, but there's too much contrast in some places. The trees for example might look less harsh with dark green and/or thinner outlines, and the path outside the castle could do with the darker squares being less bright, and slighty closer to the colour of the lighter squares.

Anchel

The Xpaniard
I like almost everything about it, but some things like the green plains look way too bright and weird

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
I think what you mean is a more cel-shading style Anchel, but this is cartoony style, it is supposed to look like that. There is a big difference between cel-shading and cartoony you know...

Clements

It's great to see people making excellent creative use of Rice's plugin to make a game have a completely new graphical style. It looks great.

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
Yeah this is sweet! although the trees and coins look like you drew over the originals in MS paint with a black paintbrush lol...

Anchel

The Xpaniard
EmuFan said:
I think what you mean is a more cel-shading style Anchel, but this is cartoony style, it is supposed to look like that. There is a big difference between cel-shading and cartoony you know...

I know that. I never said that I want this pack cell-shaded, there's already a cell-shading pack being created.

But I DO like a lot of things in this pack: the square pattern in the field textures and path textures look really great. They give the game an old school feeling like the Sonic Green Hill stages. But I think that those circles in them make the grass look weird. That's what I said before. The path could also use a little touch.
There are some really neat touches as well, like the big blocks from Super Mario World and the coin blocks from Super Mario Bros. I even like the castle inside walls much better than the sky themed ones from the original. The coins and trees also look impressive. But it's just that some of the textures somehow don't look right.

I might try myself to do my own attempt at this and see what I get (mind you, I'm not an expert at all at graphic arts, so it WILL end up much worse than any other texture pack around)

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Thanks for the comments, especially the Sonic old school feeling one, when I put the textures in for the first time that was my first thought. Oh and the comment about outlineing trees and coins in Paint, it would be pixilated for one, and secondly, I am aiming for the cartoony handrawn Yoshi's Island look, so if you look at some YI screens, you'll notice the same outlines. Lord knows when the first release will be, I am currently working on level 3, just to see what I can do with the snow. I'll have pics up soon!

-risio:)

oh and Anchel please do something different with Mario 64 than what I am doing, innovation is super dee duper!

Last edited:
OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
And also with the extreme contrast in colors, especially on the yellow/orange paths, thats what I am aiming for. Hearing that being pointed out is a Job Well Done for me! Im going for the abstract/SNES/Sonic/Mario/Cartoon look, so why go with realistic color choices? And with the grass circles, same thing, the only problem is though is that I need to up the resolution a tad bit, as they bothered me too. -Risio:icecream: