What's new

Paper Mario Emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jihad

Okay so here's my problem. I have been messing around with all of OUR(and I do mean everyone in this forum) favorite plugins for project 64. Trying to find some way to play paper mario with out any problems. I mean, you know you can't have exactly perfect quality but most plugins are pretty damn close. Jaboos plugins work perfect except the fact that they flicker and its not repairable.

Rice 6.1.1 for some damn reason never wants to fix itself with paper mario because once you get the flicker problem solved, you get graphics problems like discoloration in the images. Or Translucent issues. And also you have the infamous background problem wanting to show through everything. Rice just doesn't work.

Then there is Glide64 v.08 wonder is truly a wonder.
The game doesn't flicker and it runs the special effects graphics i.e: the fortune tellers globe has 3 little balls that come out and do a little circle before he gives a fortune. :plain: However when entering and leaving houses and screens (such as menus) it is HORRIBLY sluggish. Also battle sequences load slow and show minor graphic faults. I.E. text popping up in different areas. This is a hwfbe Hardware Frame Buffer Emulation issue. Which brings me to my last plugin.

GLN64 v0.4.1is also a very good plugin but heres the big problem...although we get rid of the sluggish menu and battle entering issues. This plugin will not play the special effects graphics(those little ball things at the fortune teller) which i think is some kind of alpha issue. Instead you get 3 black squares that are apparently trying to render themselves and then the big damn kicker. The flickering is back to the point you can't see mushroom kingdom.

Can anyone please tell me how I can get the great quality of Glide64 and the excellent speed performance of gln64 together so I can finally enjoy PAPER MARIO. If you use the hwfbe in Glide64 it takes away its ability to render those special alpha effects ball thingys I've been talking about and it doesn't buffer well. I'm just so frustrated. I await wisdom.

kahncrane

All that and no system specs. Well off hand I would say check your cpu usage when using the wonder plugin and paper mario that should be the only thing slowing the game down. Try playing it on a beefier machine. Although your system specs would really help:)

OP
J

Jihad

kahncrane said:
All that and no system specs. Well off hand I would say check your cpu usage when using the wonder plugin and paper mario that should be the only thing slowing the game down. Try playing it on a beefier machine. Although your system specs would really help:)

Theres the specs. Can you help. :plain:

da1writer

You almost have the same specs as i do, but i have what is called a beefy machine... whatever...
Anyway, did you grabbed the newest Glide64 (version 0.8), if so did you update your gfx driver. I have the same gfx card as you (though mine is an overclocked version) but my driver is 78.01...

OP
J

Jihad

Okay so I need to download this driver78.01 Does your paper mario game work good?

smcd

Doomulation said:
Hwfbe effects are slow if you don't have a real voodoo, unfortunaly.

Yeah, like driving the Mushroom cup in Mario Kart 64 and running off into the dirt/grass and watch the dirt kick up - and your framerate plummet ;)

OP
J

Jihad

paper mario

da1writer said:
You almost have the same specs as i do, but i have what is called a beefy machine... whatever...
Anyway, did you grabbed the newest Glide64 (version 0.8), if so did you update your gfx driver. I have the same gfx card as you (though mine is an overclocked version) but my driver is 78.01...

So does this game run perfect on your system?

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Jihad said:
Can anyone please tell me how I can get the great quality of Glide64 and the excellent speed performance of gln64 together so I can finally enjoy PAPER MARIO.
Currently you can't. No one plugin can run this game perfectly and without slowdown, including Glide64. PaperMario has slowdowns with Glide64 on voodoos too, because many special effects does not work with Hardware FrameBuffer Emulation.

da1writer

same as the guy above... there is slowdown in some instances and some gfx glitches here and there with Glide64 but not as much as the other plugins. It will just have to do until it is perfectly emulated right... the game is still very playable to the end :)...

xZAOx

I've found Direct64 to be the best for me. I'm not getting any flickering (yet), and no slowdowns or anything (which were rampent in Glide 0.8).

Rapidgorgon

I played Paper Mario with Glide64 v0.8 Wonder and when the cutscenes (the very, very slow ones) hopped in, I made a quicksave and rebooted the rom with another plugin (and again to get back). Not the easiest sollution, but it was fine for me.

Shaunathan

Actually, I had this same problem and it REALLY Bothered me because I love Paper MariO. So after googling for a few hours and trying various plugins I went into the Task Manager and switched the priority to high, because I remebered in the past setting it to Real Time crashes it and doesnt improve performance at all (for me) but I was soo suprised. I switched it to High and ran it with ......dammnit, whatever the newest graphics plugin is that comes with P64 and it got rid of a lot of the flickering! I mean it didnt completely perfect all the emulation in certain parts of the game it still can flicker, but it rarely flickers in open areas and even in most town areas! I honestly haven't read about it anywhere else so when I figured it out I was like "I NEED TO TELL SOMEONE" but I didnt like the thought of registering because I'm lazy but since this place seems rather descent and this post seemed without an answer I decided I should just join for the hell of it :3 Anyways sorry for the boring story but yeah, hope this helps somewhat

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well the last post here was over 4 years ago shaunathan. Theres been updates to some plugins since then.

I doubt anyone in this particular thread is still looking for an answer but you can still check out the newest version of Glide64 and see if that improves your situation any. http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/

Undercover410

Hello I Know this post is very old but if you want to know how to perfect emulate paper mario or any game I have the solution:

step 1

Download Nintendo 64 Project64 2.1.0.1 the dowload link is in the description of the video

extract the file and open the emulator

step 2: now go to the settings menu (ctrl+t) and go to the plugins tab
in Video (graphics) plugin select: Glide64 for pj64 2.0.0.1 then click aply and close the settings window.

Step 3: now go to options tab ans select configure graphics plugin select show texture enhancement options and click ok, open the
configure graphics plugin again and go to thextecture enhancement tab, In presets Select any of the two options best performance or best texture quality Click ok and test it

Good Luck and Have Fun

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
We recommend only downloading emulators from home pages or on site mirrors provided.

This thread is Ten Years old.
/Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.