What's new

I read Soul Calibur doesnt run ... Screens Inside

1031.nu

I wanted to see if i could get SC to run, I love the game and just wanted to see it for kicks. I got it to load and run, i got 11 FPS during the begining stuff, and around 6-2 ingame. What I wanted to know was when I enable "Use Dynarec" My frames shoot to 50-60, and the game runs SUPER SMOOTH, rite upto the the character select screen and craps out. Or when I do weapon select, when it looks like it will go to battle, it freezes. No error, just emulation seems to stop or halt for what ever reason.

The yellow numbers on the top left hand corner are from a program called fraps which will overlay my screen with the current FPS of any ap using D3D or OpenGL.

The green bars are to determin how much of the program is using SLi. The green line on the bottom determins how much of which video card is doing the processing. In this case Dolphin doesn't support SLi, so its only the first graphics card.

BTW to the Dolphin Coders ... GREAT JOB ... this impressed me alot. Can't wait to see what you guys come out with soon.

On with screens....

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

sc4.jpg

sc5.jpg

Toasty

Sony battery
GC emulation hasn't matured enough yet for 3D games to be playable (at a reasonable speed). Sorry. Beautiful screenshots though. :)

OP

1031.nu

Toasty said:
GC emulation hasn't matured enough yet for 3D games to be playable (at a reasonable speed). Sorry. Beautiful screenshots though. :)

What I'm tring to understand is what that option enables ... and also why at the SAME POINT the game locks up. On my machine, this looks like it may be playable with tweaked settings.

Whats odd is, the guy who made the post about the updated ini file, said the game was not playable at all, all he received was a black screen. It ran on my computer, so I wonder if games may run on certain computers due to hardware congfigs, drivers, sse2, etc...

DOGG

Dynarec uses shortcuts to emulate the code whereas interpreter is a direct translation of the GC's code. Think of it as emulating the emulator. It's speedy. But currently it's buggy, which is why the game crashes.

Cyberman

DOGG said:
Dynarec uses shortcuts to emulate the code whereas interpreter is a direct translation of the GC's code. Think of it as emulating the emulator. It's speedy. But currently it's buggy, which is why the game crashes.
Dynamic Recompilation takes the existing code and recompiles it for another platform. Interpretor reads each code one at a time and executes it like the original machine. The difference is that Dynamic Recompilation is faster simply because it's running as a native application directly on the hardware. Interpretors are inherently slow because they perform the same functions as the original hardware reading and decoding the data one opcode at a time.

Dynamic Rec is very complex to do, first you have to generate code that's equivalent to the original games code. THEN you have to recompile sections of code if the code is self modifying (N64 had a number of games that did that).
Of course after generating the intermediate code, you might want to do optimizations of the generated code as well.

Anyhow the Dynamic Rec's output executes as a native application. Whereas the interpretor does not. The process is much slower therefore.

Cyb