What's new

Mupen64 0.5 Released

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
well, the easy way, take the tar.bz2 file and do that in your home folder:
tar -xvjf the_name_of_the_archive.tar.bz2

it'll uncompress the files in a mupen64-0.5 subfolder where you can launch the emulator :)

Beed

Hey, since we're talking about the linux version, I can't seem to get any Roms to run. The program just quites. Any suggestions???

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Start by giving us more details on how you installed it and what do you have tried... Do you see any message on the console when it quits ?

Beed

Well, I extracted the program onto my desktop and launch it by clicking onto the executable. Then I open a ROM and I push play, a screen pops up then seconds later the program quits. I also don't have a controller, would that have anything to do with this?

ataribob

Project 64 just got put away.
mupen64-0.5 is nice.
You can save your Video plug-ins for each game..

Nice to test each game.
Gauntlett only one so far that flickers

Kalthare

I just tried dumping textures in Ocarina of Time using the Linux port of the Rice video plugin. The PNGs seem fine, but the BMPs are corrupted. I tried reading them with ImageMagick, xzgv, NetPBM, Nautilus, Gimp, Irfanview and MS Paint -- all say bad header, except Paint which says I don't have enough memory (gg Microsoft, insightful error message as always).

joshk

Mupen64 works pretty well. Though there is one really crippling bug; after stopping emulation and trying to restart it, I hear a huge burst of sound from the speakers and suddenly Mupen64 starts eating memory like crazy and I have to crawl to a shell prompt to kill it. Is this known?

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux unstable on i686. I compiled with gcc-4.0 and I am using the SDL input plugin, SDL sound plugin, and glN64.

Also, the 'pause' button should pause emulation instead of simply SIGSTPing the program. What if I launched mupen64 from a GNOME menu? I would have to killall -CONT mupen64 to get it back! Not a good idea, I think..

Well thanks for a not so bad emulator so far with a few annoying bugs that should be easy to fix ;)

houkouonchi

Anyone know how to get mupen 64 working with dr. mario 64? I can get it working but for someone reason when the game starts the backround is messed up on all the plugins except glide 64, and on all the plugins the vitamin dissappears when mario throughs it in so you cant see where your placing the vitamin, here is a screenshot:

http://www.houkouonchi.net/drmario.png

As you can see the other issue is the fact that the backround image is pushed down a notch, but that isnt really important, you cant relaly do anything when you cant see the vitamins heh

rcgamer

the old guy
nice release hac. ill be testing it for a while . had a strange occurence, i started pokemon stadium without a controller in and a game screen popped up saying no controller . so i plugged in a joystick and configured it. and started it again and got nothing but a black screen. paper mario seems to work pretty well for the little bit i tried it.

Sirmatto

snesmaster40 said:

I meant progress...

Updates...

Whatever...
mupen64 is a one man development team. As far as I know, the guy's a human, so he needs things like rest, food and the occasional "a life." He hasn't said that it's dead, and considering he still somewhat actively posts in the forums, I'm going to go out on a limb that it's still under development. There was a bit more than a year between 0.4 and 0.5, so you could probably expect the same for 0.5 to 0.6.

krimb1

poetic_folly said:
Still trying to use a USB controller with Mupen... please help!

Hey man. Just started on mupen64 on the mac. Works great on intel. You could always use controllermate or usb overdrive to map controls for a usb gamepad for use. I have personal experience with usb overdrive. I use it for Mario 64. Hope that helps man.

Here are the links:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

And actually, I've got a question of my own. Anyone know how to have multiplayer support (multiple controllers) on mupen64 0.5 for mac? I'm running on intel and I'd love to be able to have a few friends over and play mario party or super smash. Thanks!!

-Krishna

Sirmatto said:
mupen64 is a one man development team. As far as I know, the guy's a human, so he needs things like rest, food and the occasional "a life." He hasn't said that it's dead, and considering he still somewhat actively posts in the forums, I'm going to go out on a limb that it's still under development. There was a bit more than a year between 0.4 and 0.5, so you could probably expect the same for 0.5 to 0.6.

As far as I'm concerned he can take all the time he wants. This emulator is very impressive accuracy wise.

One question I do have - it was stated to only use FB notify when nessesary, is there perhaps a list I should be looking at? Sorry if this comment is noobish, but I don't spend much time around here. :unsure:

Katfish

Controller playback

I'm having a problem with the record / playback feature. I'm playing Conker in game and multi-player modes, and during playback the moves I made aren't at all like what they were during record. I've tried using different plugins and they don't seem to make any difference. The same with unplugging all the USB devices (except the mouse and controller).

I'm using:

Saitek P990 USB game controller
Gigabyte K8 mother board with AMD 64 CPU and onboard sound card.

Any suggestions? I do like that record feature (better than any other I've tried), if I can only get it to record my moves accurately.

Thanks.

lolgo13

Zelda Fanatic
And actually, I've got a question of my own. Anyone know how to have multiplayer support (multiple controllers) on mupen64 0.5 for mac? I'm running on intel and I'd love to be able to have a few friends over and play mario party or super smash. Thanks!!

-Krishna
Really kool would be to connect with other people on the internet! :bouncy: :king: