What's new

Mupen64 0.5 Released

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
How should i use it ? Aren't icons only used by desktop shortcuts on linux ?

zekant

yup, good point :D
So my suggestion is to put it somewhere in the UI, maybe in the "about" information window ?
And for the windows version, you should be able to use the icon for the executable

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I've uploaded a 0.5.1 version for windows. It should fix the problems with glide64's "Get FrameBuffer Option". Enjoy all the nice framebuffer effects ! ;)

Tillmann

Whatever
whow!!!
Fantastic!!!
Tanks man you'r great and the emulator it's sweeeeeetA

linux users are happier now.. :) HAHAHAHAHAH

Felipe

Brazilian Translator
YOU MADE A HORRIBLE THING IN THESE 0.5 VERSIONS HACKTARUX....

you put 2 translations to brazilian portuguese in the emu :p

Belegdol

Hacktarux said:
How should i use it ? Aren't icons only used by desktop shortcuts on linux ?
You can use it as an app icon, so it will be displayed in upper left corner of mupen64 window, instead of an X.

roushimsx

Awesome, I'm loving this release. (Hell, I registered just to let you know I love it)

Can't wait to get down and dirty with the AVI recoding function (only played with it briefly last night; going to grab some videos from Mystical Ninja and Smash Brothers later).

A little bummed Stunt Racer 64 doesn't work, not because I want to play it but because I'm tired of trying to tell everyone how awesome it is and no one being able to see for themselves (other than through my screenshots and videos I record). :(

But yea, great release, and thanks again for continuing to work on Mupen64 :)

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Nice. Everything works perfectly now..err..well, almost. Glide64 0.8 doesn't seem to like either Banjo game, it flipped out at the Rareware logo on Tooie and during the opening cutscene of BK. It stopped emulating and flipped between two frames rapidly. It is a very odd glitch, happens in PJ64 without FB notification too. So I can still rant about Glide64 even if FB notification works. I'm really kidding about the ranting, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has this problem.

smcd

The only trouble I've had so far also involved Glide64... I'm beginning to believe it might be due to using a wrapper. Originally I was using zeckensack's then tried Hacktarux's and the gui seemed to be responsive after closing a ROM... but sometimes it still messes up.

Sometimes the game list will be white (only country flags showing) and nothing works even clicking the close button.. it'll close the window but it still shows in task manager as running. This only seems to happen with Glide64, and since I don't have a reall voodoo card to see if it's a wrapper issue well...

Anyhow, another weird issue is when initially starting the emulator for the first time you have to go to the Options->Settings and close the window before being able to click on the configure menu items for the gfx/sound/rsp/input plugins and get the dialogs to appear.

This has only been tested by me on Windows XP SP2 using mupen64 0.5 and 0.5.1

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Hmm..reading your post made me try Zeckensecks wrapper, and it eliminated the flipping out I had before...very strange.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
I've got to say I'm impressed with the new framebuffer option. Previously, framebuffer effects always meant going to to 45 V/Is. Now, full speed.

Unfortunately, a series of problems marred the intro in Banjo-Kazooie when I tried it out with Glide64.

1) The plugin can't seem to decided which polygons go in front and which go behind, causing flickering and wrong priorities all over the place.

2) It also seems to give up at some points and just gives me a blank screen.

3) The sound seems to be going at the right speed, but the video must not be as they lose synchronization very fast and the sound managed to get ahead of the video by about 5 seconds before I just gave up with it.

I'm not sure what's causing this to happen, but I guess I'll just have to mess around with stuff until it's fixed. Still, good framebuffer effects anyway.

Edit: After this, the whole program went insane, ran all games at 1 V/Is, and left seven unclosed instances of itself in Task Manager for me to hunt down and close. After that, I decided to delete the program lest it should try to destroy my PC.

Are you sure you didn't introduce any critical bugs with version 0.5.1?

Last edited:

CF2

Pretends to make sense
I think the problem is Glide64 0.8. Try it with PJ64 (you should have the same problems), or try it with zeckensacks (less problems?) glide wrapper.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
CF2 said:
I think the problem is Glide64 0.8. Try it with PJ64 (you should have the same problems), or try it with zeckensacks (less problems?) glide wrapper.
Well I couldn't replicate the exact settings (since Project64 doesn't support the 'Get frame buffer info' option) but aside from the fact that it couldn't auto detect the microcode for some reason (manual selection got past this) it seemed mostly the same. The synchronization issue appears to be unrelated as Project64 got everything right on that though.

Also, I'm somewhat out of the loop with N64 emulation and have no idea what you're talking about with regards to zeckensack's Glide wrapper. I normally avoid Glide64 altogether anyway as I prefer video plugins that work natively with my ATI video card.

Edit: Well, falling back on Jabo's Direct3D 8 plugin appears to have solved all stability issues and graphical problems for now. But the synchronization issue is definitely Mupen64. The video is running positively sluggishly compared to the sound and falls behind quickly. The V/Is stays stable at 60, but the FPS falls from 30 on the logos to 20 in the actual intro. I don't know what if anything this has to do with it, but something obviously goes horribly wrong at some point.

Edit2: Didn't work well, giving up now, forum software is horribly bugged with Firefox for some reason, lost my last edit due to confusion with this. Leaving to play Banjo-Tooie on Project64. May or may not return.

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

As i beta test glide64 fb notification with Mupen, here was i can say:

- the glitch on Rare logo is due to a Glide64 bug

when you're using fb notification the frame rate can descrease a bit when a fb effect is used. (but not a lot).

Sometimes the screen size can be sometimes not exactly correct with the fb effects.

And when you're using glide64 with fb effect there is a strange issue: the flags after finishing a game and Mupen.exe running in process.

it's extremely recommended:

1) use fb notification only when needed (check compatibility list)

2) click ctrl+alt+suppr and kill Mupen process after each use of glide64 fb notification.

To see the possibilities of glide64 fb notification ,check the small videos i made on the glide64 website here (not RE2 and Paper Mario)

http://www.emuxhaven.net/~glide64/videos.php

:)

Last edited:

smcd

Thanks olivieryuyu. Aside from the Glide64 oddities it is showing up to be a GREAT release. Nice work hacktarux & all the testers ;) When I get some $ I'll chip some your way & pj64's as well.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I should have warned about this, sometimes when using the framebuffer function, the emulator stays in memory when closing it. Just kill it in the task manager. I don't think the problem is in the core as i've added many checks inside the framebuffer functions, so currently i believe the problem is inside glide64 although i can't be 100% sure it's not my fault ;)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
And I was wondering why my PC almost stopped responding after using Mupen xD

This is a far better release than I though. Good speed, almost 100% synced sound, compatibility increase, FB effects on almost every game without major speed hit (Mario Kart and Yoshi's story look amost perfect).
Apart from the buggy GUI everything looks and feels perfect. Amazing work Hacktarux :D