What's new

Help with SSF 007 Alpha R9

bootleg42

I am new to Saturn emulation. I heard this is the best emulator out there now. I am having trouble though. When the BIOS loads and when the game Nights loads, these black lines show across the screen as shown in the picture. My specs are Pentium 4, Windows XP, 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, and video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. Will someone please help me?

OP
B

bootleg42

Trotterwatch said:
If there is an option for it, turn off scanlines.

THANK YOU. My Saturn broke this week so in order to play my Saturn games now, I need a good Saturn emulator. Looks perfect. Thanks. Now time to test this with my other games.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Emm... Why wanting to turn the scanlines off after all? It looks more like the original thing (and less pixelated) when turned on, especially when swiching to fullscreen. Unfortunately scanlines look like sh*t when stretched to the resolution of LCD monitors (fullscreen). Wonder if the author is going to support other resolutions in the feature... :\

OP
B

bootleg42

Also it seems not all the games work 100%. I tried out the game All-Star Baseball '97 Featuring Frank Thomas and the in game graphics were not good. But I will test more. So far this seems to be the best Saturn Emulator though. If anyone knows how to fix these graphics, please do tell.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It's a matter of taste actually. I just like the "original" look... Or the "filtered" look when available (ie:2xsai) :p

bootleg42, try to enable (or disable) the "use Direct Draw" option of the emulator.

OP
B

bootleg42

Trotterwatch said:
And it is pretty much a guarantee that not all games work 100% :)

Why put the happy face??? I only pray that one day the guys at SSF can get 100% emulation or at least to the level ePSXe 1.6.0 is in the PS1 emulation scene. I will test some games now and put them up in the screenshots area. If I need some help, I will ask, thanks.

Trotterwatch

Why put the happy face???
I put the happy face, because it was a statement that wasn't actually negative - a friendly reply if you will.

You can not seriously expect the emulator to run at 100% compat, or anything close. It is after all only an alpha.

The Saturn is a bit tougher AFAIK to emulate than the PS1.

OP
B

bootleg42

PsyMan said:
bootleg42, try to enable (or disable) the "use Direct Draw" option of the emulator.

It didn't work. I guess this game just cannot be emulated. I'm gonna have to patiently wait till the next release. Meanwhile, I'll play around with this game and see what I can do.

OP
B

bootleg42

Ok I'm trying Nights and people have told me that it works very well. For me it is SLOW. When I move it is slow. The music is at normal speed but the game is slow during gameplay. Anyone know how to fix this because as I read, this runs normally on SSF oo7 Alpha R9.

deathace

dude, I have an athlon64 3000+ OCed and a geforce fx5900 and it still runs slow. As far as I know, games that are 3d rendered are slow, while 2d sprite games are mostly full speed. I guess the Saturn's 3d hardware is really complex.

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
^^
*agrees*
Are the people who have ssf running fast got very powerful pc's, or are there things that can be changed to make it run fast?
Also, can Joytokey be used with ssf?

Acorn

SSF will recognise keypresses sent from JoyToKey, but it works fine configured with every gamepad I've tried so far.

SSF will run fullspeed on most games (some skipping/slowdown on intense parts of PDS) for me with an Athlon64 3200.

deathace

Full speed if you dont count the huge amount of frames being skipped. Just running around in an open area with little to no 3d objects being rendered aside from your character is still choppy. If you want to see how smooth a real saturn runs it, disable "automatic field skip", but then the game looks like its running in slow motion. Bottom line, a game running at normal speed with frameskipping does not mean its running "fullspeed". Fullspeed would be as smooth as a real Saturn and keeping up with actualy game speeds.

Acorn

Like I said.... fullspeed, with either skipping (field skip enabled) or some slowdown (field skip disabled) when you are in intense areas (PDS has slowdown, PD does not). However, its very playable for most games, and worth the lack of trouble/extra compatibility over GiriGiri hacked.

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
Acorn said:
Like I said.... fullspeed, with either skipping (field skip enabled) or some slowdown (field skip disabled) when you are in intense areas (PDS has slowdown, PD does not). However, its very playable for most games, and worth the lack of trouble/extra compatibility over GiriGiri hacked.

Ah. Since I'm trying to play SFIII, that explains it. I got my pad working too. It was my wingman software that was the problem, once I deleted that, it woked fine ^_^ . As opposed to locking every selection to one button.