What's new

RELEASE: F-Zero X Expansion Kit Patch

BGNG

Greetings! The news has been around in another thread that I cracked the F-Zero X level storage data and began work on a level editor.

Now, before I go on: I am not in any way encouraging the use of piracy just to make use of what I'll present to you here in a moment. Downloading ROMs is strictly illegal and I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm telling you it's a good idea to do so. (Generic disclaimer. It shouldn't be an issue in this forum)

With that out of the way, here's the sparkly goodness:

The level editor programming is not yet complete, but there is a little feature you may be fond of. If you've heard of the F-Zero X Expansion Kit, then you know that there's a course creator/editor out there as well as two new cups full of official tracks that are competed in via online tournaments.

Well, the level editor isn't done, but I do have for you a patch that will let you play the Expansion Kit courses!

This program is a self-contained Windows executable that can load any version (North American, Japanese or European/PAL) of the F-Zero X ROM in either format (byte-swapped V64 or normal binary Z64) and allow you to configure the cups to your every whim; including the ability to add the Expansion Kit tracks in for play.

Both the DD-1 and DD-2 Cups from the Expansion Kit are included, and the classic four cups are also in there. Additionally, the classic extensions are included, which consist of Death Race and GP Ending. You will be able to play these courses in GP mode and Time Attack, now.

So without any further ado: the download:

Evil5.zip - F-Zero X Expansion Kit Patch

Please post your comments and complaints here.

And of course, the obligatory screenshots:

This is a picture of the utility itself. Enjoy its majesty.
Evil5.jpg

This is a picture of Big Foot, one of the courses from the Expansion Kit.
BigFoot.jpg

This is evidence that you can fully configure the cups in the game. Jack 6, which is usually Port Town, has been replaced with Big Blue 3 from the Expansion Kit.
Customize.jpg

minkster

Wow, this is surely great news! I did try your program, but I do get this error, which causes me to close out of the program. :icecream: Hopefully this will get fixed sooner or later. Keep up the good work!-minkster

OP
BGNG

BGNG

Peculiar... It's an extremely rare problem that is supposedly caused by a bug in Windows. You're the second person this has happened with, though, so there's something a little odd going on.

Here's Microsoft: Q293631

OP
BGNG

BGNG

Those tracks aren't in the ROM already. I had to recreate them using data from a real Expansion Kit.

Also, I've attached an alternation of the program to this post. It may or may not correct the error.

minkster

Hmm..I still have a problem, even with the fixed version. That is strange that only me and someone else is getting the same error. If you want my computer specs to see if its similar to the other person that has the same error here it is: Pentium 4 2.8ghz OS:WindowsXP SP2, Memory: 446MB RAM, DirectX version 9.0c, and a Radeon IGP 345M (and btw I'm using a Sony Vaio laptop) Well I hope this helps in any way. Thanks-minkster

OP
BGNG

BGNG

Okay, attached to this post is an edited version of the patch that removes the 3D display. There should no longer be any troubles using it, but, of course, the 3D preview isn't there.

minkster, I've also attached the VB6 runtime update for Windows. It's a small download and instant install. Try it and see if it fixes the problem for the other 3D preview version of the program.

minkster

Thanks BGNG :) I downloaded the VB6 runtime update and tried the program with 3D and recieved the same error. But then I tried it without the 3D and it worked with no errors ;) keep up the good work, the program works nicely now.

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
how the hell did you get the data of the tracks out of the 64DD disk?i thought there is no way to extract that! -because of that there are no 64DD images/roms! Or am i totally wrong?!

OP
BGNG

BGNG

The course editor in the Expansion Kit, in addition to allowing you to create your own courses, also lets you edit any course in the game. It gives you access to all the coordinates and decorations and such, so I just had a couple of guys with the exapnsion kit write down all the info and e-mail it to me. I then reconstructed it for use in the ROM and patched in the data.

ggab

Emutalk Member
thanks a lot!!!!! i have been wanting to play more tracks in this super greeat game ;)

PS: thanks for sharing this nice gift with us ! :)

koopask

hi everybody, I got just one question, is anybody just try on a Dr v64 or Z64?

I just wanna know if it is possible technically to run 64DD games on a simple N64...
thanks in advance ;)

OP
BGNG

BGNG

This is just a simple level edit of the normal game. It would work on a real N64.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
koopask, you will not be able to play any 64DD game using this method on your N64. You are missing the point. It's no different than a level editor (as BGNG said in the previous post). It really doesn't have anything to do with the 64DD except the information used to make these new tracks was taken from the expansion kit editor. I hope that clears it up for you (and anyone else wondering the same thing).

BTW, nice job with the level editor. I am always happy to see new developments for N64.

ggab

Emutalk Member
it does not work with more than 1 track for me...... (the error is when i select GP RACE, Novice, then the music goes on, but no car selection.......) :(

i have done:

* i click from available: DD1 > Silence 3
* i click from detination: Jack 1
* i click "Patch"
* i click from available: DD1 > Sand Ocean 3
* i click from detination: Jack 2
* i click "Patch"

rom: North Amer. V64

PS: if it is changed only 1 track everything is OK. weird, no?

OP
BGNG

BGNG

The program has had many reports of odd errors that occur for no known reason. The patching utility is likely messing up in the funky shell tricks I used to pack it all into one file.

A new Expansion Kit course patching utility is planned to be released, so the existing one will not be fixed.

ggab

Emutalk Member
ok thanks :)

just a question, anyone was succesful changing more than 1 track / in which fzero rom?