What's new

I rarely post, but this was so damn funny...

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
It all started with this post on the Dolphin forum...

generalplot said:
533mhz celeron,8gb seagate hdd,integrated ati rage pro turbo,96mb pc100 sdram,w98se,22 inch nec multisync FE1250+ flatscreen crt

This may be off-topic, but this setup makes me feel really sorry for you. I hope you're not trying Dolphin on that dinosaur

First off, I *love* getting in discussions with people. Especially if those people think they're better than others. I love putting them back in their place. So, I decided to reply in the thread, even though it was locked.

Redah said:
If you're going to diss someone's PC... at least make sure you yourself have a decent rig... a Pentium 4 2.4GHz ? Geforce FX 5200 ? Come on, that's just as crap as a 533Mhz Celly...

And that was that. You'd think. But no, what did my mailbox say? "You have a new private message on Emutalk". Oh goodie! Haven't had those for a loooong time, since I barely hang out here anymore. Here's the message:

generalplot said:
You can't be serious? There's no way to compare a 533Mghtz Celery chip to an HT P4. And not that your system is much better, I mean an Athlon XP? What's your bus, 533? I'm doing 800. Hope you have fun with your budget chip.

Ooo! Fighting time! Budget chip? When I bought the AthlonXP, it kicked the butt of all of the Pentium 4's in its class. But that doesn't matter, the AthlonXP was never a budget chip. Duron = budget, AthlonXP = high-end. Ofcourse, when the AMD64 arrived, the AthlonXP became the budget chip, but at that time, I didn't even -have- an AthlonXP anymore.

But seeing as I haven't been on Emutalk for a long time, I never got the chance to update my system specs. So I did. And I replied. Ofcourse trying to stirr up a discussion :)

Redah said:
Dude, you really know jack shit about computers eh :) A 533MHz FSB on an AthlonXP? 400MHz was the max, on the later Barton Cores (which I happened to have).

Now, just for you, I've updated my systems specs thingie. Seeing as my current config is an Athlon64 3500+ with 4x 512MB (that's 2GB, or 2x 1GB in DualChannel), two nice S-ATA "Generation 2" harddisks in a RAID-0 array with another two S-ATA "Generation 1" harddisks in a RAID-1 array, and a system bus of 1000MHz (thank you HyperTransport).... I can confidently say that it will blow your silly Pentium 4 from here to eternity.

And a Geforce FX 5200? Oh come on, that's the cheapest and worst card ever made, even a GeForce4 can beat it...

The only point I'm trying to make is: Don't critisize people about their system specs if your own machine is an old dinosaur as well. And even then, don't critisize people over it. Perhaps he doesn't have money for a faster rig, or just doesn't want one. Simpel as that.

I have the money. I want a fast rig. So yeah, I have every right to make fun of you.

So there we have it. Perhaps this person just doesn't have a job or is trying to make payments for his house. What gives 'generalplot' the right to critisize him? And it gets even worse if your own PC is a slow ass machine (my old AthlonXP can beat his Pentium4, and his GeForce FX 5200 gets slapped in the face by the even older GeForce 4 Ti4600). It's like saying "haha, you have to walk!" when you yourself are rollerskating instead of riding a bike.

Ofcourse a reply. This was about the point that 'generalplot' got a little ticked off, I think :whistling .

generalplot said:
Well, I don't use AMD and I'm waiting for the P5 before I upgrade. There are too many AMD whores out there. When P5 runs circles around those A64's, I'll be sure to return the favor then. Also, my PC is only 2 years old, hardly a dinosaur.

AMD whores! I'm an AMD whore! Well duh, because as vampireuk stated it on IRC:

(vampireuk) AMD are still making processors? :eek:
(vampireuk) curse us amd whores for paying less for faster processors

That just about sums it up, so again I reply :)

Redah said:
Well ofcourse, as soon as the P5 is out, AMD will stop making CPUs... and they will never ever ever be able to beat Intel again. Duh, why didn't I think of that!

Wake up, smell the coffee, stop ordering at Dell.

Uh-Oh... I used the D-word. That just about ticks any Intel owner off. They refuse to accept that Dell is the only reason Intel is still in business. Ofcourse I get a reply:

generalplot said:
LMFAO, I don't order at Dell, I build my own PC's. As a note, I don't give a shit about AMD enough to keep up with their cheesy specs (this explains my not knowing what your bus speed was). You need to stop ordering at newegg. Just wait for P5, you'll see what 64 bit is really all about.

I didn't realise newegg shipped to The Netherlands. But then again, what do I know? I was always under the impression that the AMD64 could do 64-bit. But apparently I'm now working on fake 64-bits (maybe they're 32-bit bits dressed as 64-bit bits!), because when the Pentium5 is out, I will see what 64-bit is really all about. Silly, silly me.

But wait, a few minutes later, a new reply, even though I didn't send anything back. He must be pissed, seeing as the title of the reply says "Your weak chip won't last forever". I know it won't last forever! I expect it to burn itself to pieces when I overclock it at a later stage.

generalplot said:
I don't buy my PC's from Dell, I build custom rigs. But you need to stop ordering from newegg. As a note, I don't give a shit enough about AMD architecture to know what the bus speed would be on an AXP, just as you may not know that the bus on the P5 will start at 1.6 Ghtz and go up from there. So chew on that.

See? The D-word always does the trick. He again needs to remind me that he doesn't buy his stuff at Dell. And again, I should stop ordering from Newegg. And blah blah.

update! Apparently, 2 users here seem to sort of agree with our Plotting General. Good for them :) Got a new private message, labeled "Check out your thread, looks like it backfired":

generalplot said:
Aren't you glad you started this? Perhaps you should check out the thread again. People don't support your theory as much as you were hoping they would. You'll note the majority of users in there disagree with your saying that an AXP can beat a P4.

Ain't that sweet? This whole thread wasn't about AMD vs Intel in the first place (even though AMD is clearly holding the crown since 2000 or so) but to make fun of generalplot. Which succeeded :D
Well, long story short: I rule!

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Moral of the Story, Redah has too much free time on his hands. ;)

Nice job Redah, it pisses me off to when people think that their processor is their penis. :D

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Nice post! btw, is there by any chance announcements of a Pentium 5? I don't think so, but what do you know?

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Well, I'm sorry, but when anybody is crazy enough to compare a Celery chip to an HT P4, I have to say something. And for those that can't understand this guy getting involved in something that was none of his business, well, this all comes down to one thing: I honestly do feel bad for that user. Nothing personal against him, but anyone who is seriously into the emulation scene would not use a system with such ancient specs to run emulators on. Also, I should note that this guy Redah is 7 years younger than I am, and just has a bad attitude about the whole thing. I've noticed one thing about certain AMD users (not all of them) they tend to justify spending less money on a chip by giving intel less credit than it's due. Redah, grow up. And as a note, Intel did have a press conference on a technology channel that probably most are not aware of, in which they show some pretty impressive figures. I don't think my system is old enough to be deemed as a dinosaur, as I built it only 2 years ago. An HT P4 is pretty far from outdated. Bottom line: nothing AMD users say will convince me to convert to their religion.
P.S. This is a pic of my rig, does this look like a Dell to you Redah?

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
An Athlon XP 3200+ is hammered by a 3+GHz P4 w/ 800MHz FSB.. the P4C/E are simply faster chips than the AXPs. The 3200+ was designed to combat the P4 3.06, which was a 533MHz bus CPU, and that it did. Once Intel moved to 800MHz, the AXP architecture was beaten.. Netburst finally able to flex its muscles. His 2.4C w/ Dual Channel DDR would easily fight a 3200+, and in a lot of cases, win.

S939 A64s are a different story. :p

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
cooliscool said:
An Athlon XP 3200+ is hammered by a 3+GHz P4 w/ 800MHz FSB.. the P4C/E are simply faster chips than the AXPs. The 3200+ was designed to combat the P4 3.06, which was a 533MHz bus CPU, and that it did. Once Intel moved to 800MHz, the AXP was beaten..

S939 A64s are a different story. :p

And this is why I don't understand people saying that HT was overhyped. The only way to get an 800 bus on a P4 is to go with HT. And I can notice a very big speed improvement with apps that are multi-thread optimized. For instance, videos converting in TMPegEnc that used to take an hour and a half to convert can do the same conversion in about 50 minutes when I have the HT feature turned on in the app. Whether most want to admit it or not, an 800 bus DOES make a difference.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Although i'll agree that the AMD64 is a better choice right now, i'm still happy with my P4 3.2ghz :D - Also, you can't compare a celeron to a p4 just because they are made by the same manufacturers, the Duron is by AMD so should I assume all AMD's are shite?

Bottom line, Celerons suck ass. Personally people put too much love towards companys, AMD is just a powerhouse company that wants money yet people get emotionally attached to it, as with Intel (I was the same recently until I realized how silly that was). It's like getting angry when someone says Coca Cola is better than pepsi.

Intel and AMD will give you a brilliant PC so I don't see what the fuss is, just buy what you think is best. Plus even mentioning a 500mhz pc in the context of a GC emu is just plain retarded. - rant ends

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
HT in itself is very useful, not overhyped in the least. It definitely does nothing to single-thread aware apps, but Windows itself (multitasking is most certainly faster) and most highend multimedia apps are designed with 2 or more CPUs in mind.

The 800MHz FSB is what makes most of the difference here. You can't compare a P4C to an AthlonXP.. it's no contest.

edit: Ya, I love my P4 3.2C too. Running at 3.73GHz (933 FSB.. my chip's max completely stable OC :() with my DDR @ 466MHZ CAS 2-2-3-5, a force to be reckoned with. :D

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=28151

Rig pics? Yeah!

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
My athlon xp 2400+ rig is at least two-(three sometimes) times slower than my current P4 rig.

TheImpaler

Alas I got screwed by dell, (had to pay 300 euros extra) cos I had made changes to my order, I should have got quoted there and then not half way after I sent the cheque, okie rant over, may I ask though for a definative "why dell sucks" or "you should build your own computer"? sos if this is off topic.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Sadly enough, Dell has gone the way of Comcrap and IBM, with the use of a proprietary design. Plus, you get more for your money by building your own system, and it's fully upgradable with anything on the market. I will note that my last laptop was a Dell Inspiron however (only because you can not buy universal parts to build a laptop like you can for a desktop).

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Let me put it like this: if I don't build it myself, and if I was going to buy a prebuilt system, I would make it a Dell. They still make a better system than Comcrap/Hp or IBM. So your decision to get a Dell is not a bad one.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
What I know is that in the present A64s beat any P4. Pure and Simple! Let's not even talk abot the A64x2!!! I'm waiting Marty to come back and finish all Vbulletin tweaks to see my A64 shining on my specs again :)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Not really Torek. It's not nearly that simple. My P4 could easily put up a fight against your A64 3000+, beating it a lot of the time, not to mention the P4's superior multitasking capability over a (single-core) Athlon64, on the other hand, the A64 obviously, has 64-bit addressing capabilities, which depending on the rate of growth for 64-bit software, may or may not be benefitial to you.

You have an A64 with an FX5200.. haha. :p

The FX-5x on the other hand, eats any Pentium up with ease.

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
And what I know is that Redah used a bunch of false theories to make my chip look like shit. And my point is still the same: a 533 Celery chip with 96 megs of ram with an Integrated ATI graphics card and 8 gig HD is still a joke in today's emulation scene. But my system can still handle the new stuff pretty well. And it's 2 years old!!!

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Yeah, you have a sweet rig general_plot. :) Get a new GPU and OC your CPU past 3GHz, and you'll really be in business.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Thanks cooliscool. I liked that inside shot of your rig (I've never seen a cooling fan/heat sink look like that before, is it liquid cooled or something?) I am thinking of getting a GeForce 6600GT, but I still want to research it a little, 'cause I'm starting to take a second look at ATI. ;)
BTW, any suggestions for some good OC'ing apps that won't wear out my chip?

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
My system is completely air-cooled.. don't have the confidence for water cooling. ;) The fan is designed to look like a Jet engine and with its blower design, pushes a lot of air.. but it's insanely loud. http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/coolers/coolermaster_jet4/ :)

Currently the 6600GT is best price/performance.. ATi has nothing to combat it in that price range. You should definitely pick one up.

Anyway, (what board do you have?) your BIOS should have FSB adjustment options. The 2.4C cores usually are simply higher end silicon with lower multipliers, which makes them very easy to OC with little to no vcore increase. You should be able to hit 250FSB (3GHz, 1000MHz FSB) with little to no effort. For starters, though, try setting your FSB up 10MHz, test a bit, repeat. If you get errors or instability, increase CPU voltage +0.1, repeat until stable.. try not to go over 1.7V (P4C default is 1.55).. Northwood doesn't really like high voltages, and 1.7 is a good safe limit. They don't run too hot either, so even if you have stock cooling, you should be fine.

Last edited: