What's new

I rarely post, but this was so damn funny...

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
ScottJC said:
Why don't you both run Doom 3 & half life 2 and show us your FPS to put this argument to bed once and for all and prove who is better already? ;)
Because currently, I have a bottle neck in my video card. In order for this to be a fair battle, the test would have to be based on CPU performance only.

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
And for those that don't think that an 800 bus makes any difference, you shoud note that this makes all the difference: 2 logical processors. Clements, it seems that app will only utilize one of my logical pprocessors.

Last edited:
OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
generalplot said:
Clements, it seems that app will only utilize one of my logical pprocessors.

As do all other apps that are not written for HT ;)

Clements

Try it with and without Hyper-Threading then.

SuperPI is not optimised for one architecture, hence it is fair.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Well then Redhar, still have that old AXP? I'm up for it. I'll run it and post a screen shot, how about you? Oh, and I want proof that you're running it on an AXP, not an A64, so an entire screen shot including the app's results and also have your system properties open in the same screen shot.

Last edited:
OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
generalplot said:
Well then Redhar, still have that old AXP? I'm up for it. I'll run it and post a screen shot, how about you? Oh, and I want proof that you're running it on an AXP, not an A64, so an entire screen shot including the app's results and also have you system properties open in the same screen shot.

Sure thing, I'll have to hook up the XP though. Want to do all the tests? I'll give you the AthlonXP and AMD64 results. Perhaps I can even find the 2500+ and try it on that as well.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Redah said:
Sure thing, I'll have to hook up the XP though. Want to do all the tests? I'll give you the AthlonXP and AMD64 results. Perhaps I can even find the 2500+ and try it on that as well.

Sounds like game time to me. :) Oh, and no doctoring the screen shots, let's make it fair, ok? And yeah, all the tests.

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
generalplot said:
Sounds like game time to me. :) Oh, and no doctoring the screen shots, let's make it fair, ok?

Let's both supply the checksum of the 1MB test then? Then you can check the checksum on the SuperPI website, to see if there's been any cheating.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Here you go, validate the checksum. And you'll note from my system properties that I was running at CPU default speed. Come on in cooliscool, the water's just fine ;)

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Even my laptop was better than that. 48.032s for 1M calculations... Pentium M at 1.73GHz, 533FSB, 512MB RAM

I was also running some programs that eat a lot of CPU power...

Clements

You may have Redah beat there, and you are at stock.

To give you an idea of rough performance, my barton CPU is overclocked to 2.3GHz and is not much faster than the 2.4C. Note: My memory is not so good:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Clements said:
Note: My memory is not so good:
Mine neither, It's at a latency time of 3 clocks (2 is best I believe).
And this is from an overclocked XP 3200+? Your screen shot I mean Clements?

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, I know I'm outside the boundaries of the game, but just for comparisons.

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Redah said:
If you're going to diss someone's PC... at least make sure you yourself have a decent rig... a Pentium 4 2.4GHz ? Geforce FX 5200 ? Come on, that's just as crap as a 533Mhz Celly...

I don't know about you guys, but when I first read this I thought, "Haha, he's using a crappy GF 5200 FX on a plain vanilla P4 2.4. That does suck." :p

Now, I know that you have the much faster P4C with HT, but it was a good joke to me. Comparing to Celeron + Rage was a nice touch, suggests that putting in that 5200 would devalue the P4 itself. :D

which is why i'm kind of puzzled how you guys chose to argue over the CPU. Paired with that RAM, his P4 is pretty good. but they're not THAT different, neither will run circles around the other, etc etc. I say show the GPU-limited benchmarks!!

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
zAlbee said:
I say show the GPU-limited benchmarks!!
I'll be happy to once I get my GeForce FX 6600GT. ;)
Oh, and I'm only about 5 seconds behind an A64 3200+, I'd say that's pretty damn good for a 2 year old rig, wouldn't you?
Update: it's been 2 hours since I posted my screen shot, Redah is online, and he's viewing this thread right now, but I haven't seen a screen shot from him yet. What's taking so long? I'm dying to see the resluts.

Last edited:
OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
generalplot said:
Redah is online, and he's viewing this thread right now, but I haven't seen a screen shot from him yet. What's taking so long? I'm dying to see the resluts.

I was watching this thread all the time. I had to actually install a new PC to test the XP 3000+, it wasn't in a machine. So while the Windows disc was installing I also tested my laptop, this machine (AMD64) and the even older 2500+.

But to give away a hint, there's 1 second difference between your results and mine :)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Redah said:
But to give away a hint, there's 1 second difference between your results and mine :)
Then it would seem to me that I would have a "decent rig" afterall, huh? 1 second is like next to nothing. I'm going to disable my HT in the bios and see what happens.