What's new

I rarely post, but this was so damn funny...

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Lol, love your new private message. So one or two users agree with you, so I am 7 years younger than you, and you build systems (you claim, yet you spell Cellery and MgHtz).

Fact: I build 1 or 2 systems each and every day. Never, but I mean never, have I seen a Intel Pentium 4 beat a AthlonXP. And this is for normal usage. Yeah, HT turned on, and applications actually using it, that makes a difference. But for normal day to day usage there's no Pentium 4 that can beat an AthlonXP.

Pentium4 2.4 GHz vs AthlonXP 2400+ ? AthlonXP wins
Pentium4 3.0 GHz vs AthlonXP 3000+ ? AthlonXP wins

It's as simple as that. I don't hate Intel, I've built systems with Pentium's with Overdrive on it, I've seen them rule. But once AMD started their spark with the Thunderbirds, Intel was doomed.

And no, can't say this thread backfired, we on #Emulation64 all had a great laugh about you :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
cooliscool said:
S939 A64s are a different story. :p

Hehe, thanks for talking me out of the 754 cooliscool, I owe you. But, I must brag where bragging is due (I'll get over this "new PC high" eventually), my new PC pwnz all of you :p.

Last edited:

Branz_mf

I DOUBT IF THIS MEDIOCRE atolon xp CAN BEAT MY P4 2.4ghz. :whistling
Even if Amd wins, Intel will always make a comeback against AMD.

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well, my FX5200 is my bottleneck, I admit it ;) But I'm upgrading to a 6600. But in my opinion Cooliscool, yor processor would beat mine in multithreading, but when using a PC with only a main program (for example a heavy game), they will work in avery similar way. By the way the competition would not be fair because your processor is 3.2 Ghz and mine is a 3000+ :p

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Redah said:
Lol, love your new private message. So one or two users agree with you, so I am 7 years younger than you, and you build systems (you claim, yet you spell Cellery and MgHtz)
In case you can't tell the joke behind the name I use for the Celeron "Celery", it's to suggest that this chip has no beef and is strictly for the rabbits(just like the vegetable, BTW, other users on hardware forums call it the same thing). But we've all had a laugh at you in here. BTW, I should also note that I possess a Bachelor's degree in computer science (which I got at the University of Washington in Seattle, Seattle is Microsoft country in case you didn't know). Not to mention that I am also A+ certified in both hardware and software. So I'm pretty sure I'm more qualified to put up an arguement than you thought. And that 7 years difference means I was building my first 386 machine when you were in 6th grade. And I wrote my first program on a Commodore 64 (in BASIC) when you were barely out of diapers.
cooliscool said:
Anyway, (what board do you have?) your BIOS should have FSB adjustment options.
cooliscool, it's an Abit IC7, had the highest review of the i875 chipset boards when I bought it, and I've generally always liked Abit. Anyways, there's a softmenu setup on the bios for adjusting cpu clock, voltage and also dram voltage and ratio (5:4 and 3:2, 1:1 is the default, but I'm probably better off at 5:4 I take it?) I've never actually taken this system over it's factory defaults, so I'm not sure where the safe limits are. Matter of fact, I haven't OC'd since my old Coppermine P3 about 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
generalplot said:
(which I got at the University of Washington in Seattle, Seattle is Microsoft country in case you didn't know).

You should know that aligning yourself with Microsoft doesn't help your argument any.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from Texas State University which is one of the top computer science departments in the nation. I have an ABET engineering acredation and I'm also A+ certified. I also have multiple Novell certifications and a VB6 certification. I think AMD is better, does that make me more right than you? Probably not, I think its all up to personal preference.

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Well, the UW has a pretty well known repuatation as one of the nation's most formidable schools to study computer science. I'm not saying TSU is any less of a school ( I do know the new silicon valley lays in Texas now), but when some idiot calls my P4 as crappy as a 533 Celeron (you like that I called it that Redah?), you can understand why I would say something, wouldn't you? Also the intention was not to align myself with M$, I don't even own an Xbox (simply because they make it). If Linux was as compatible as WinXP (seems everything under the sun is compatible with XP) I'd only run Debian, instead of using a dual boot system. My point was that the PC industry is big there, that's all.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
generalplot said:
Well, the UW has a pretty well known repuatation as one of the nation's most formidable schools to study computer science. I'm not saying TSU is any less of a school ( I do know the new silicon valley lays in Texas now), but when some idiot calls my P4 as crappy as a 533 Celeron (you like that I called it that Redah?), you can understand why I would say something, wouldn't you? Also the intention was not to align myself with M$, I don't even own an Xbox (simply because they make it). My point was that the PC industry is big there, that's all.

TSU! Tennesee State University? How dare you insult me like that! Just kidding. Seriously though its Texas State or Texas State University, TSU was already taken when the renamed the school a few years ago. It used to be called SWT or Southwest Texas State University, but they felt that it was to location specific because they wanted to spread out like UT and A&M.

dukenukem

lord freiza
Ok now the man with the crap specs now begins,You call this crap but it's good crap,i will not bother with next gen emulators.i wouldn't mind seeing a thread with this title though:) "let's give money to this man's new pc" :).Hell i originally was gonna buy a new pc with my credit card but alot of other shit came up all at once and fucked me over insuring that wouldn't happen.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
I would happily take out a charity organizaion for you if I could. Call it the savedukenukem foundation or something. ;) Maybe we should start a thread like that, with a paypal account and everything? You might get a enough for a new rig by the time this day is over.
Eagle said:
TSU! Tennesee State University?
Sorry about that dude, no insult intended. :)

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
dukenukem said:
Ok now the man with the crap specs now begins,You call this crap but it's good crap,i will not bother with next gen emulators.i wouldn't mind seeing a thread with this title though:) "let's give money to this man's new pc" :).Hell i originally was gonna buy a new pc with my credit card but alot of other shit came up all at once and fucked me over insuring that wouldn't happen.

I understand that. Honestly I think Redah was wrong this time. I just recently got off of my Athlon XP 2000+ with a Geforce 3 Ti200 and an SB Live Value. It was a decent PC considering it had a GB of ram. Still my PC did fairly well on N64 emulation and even newer PC games like WoW. generalplot's specs are kick ass in comparison. I dont know why Redah would think that your computer is as bad as a Celeron.

dukenukem

lord freiza
Genralplot that would be a good idea:),last time i brought something like that up in an irc chatrom they told me to fuckoff and banned me:(.Also if your not sure about overclocking your pc you could also askk for help at extremeoverclocking.com.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
I appreciate your backing Eagle. When I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but seems that Redah just has too much pride to do that. If you're ever bored and feel like talking pc's, just drop me an IM or a PM (I'm always in the mood to talk techie). BTW, I've been down there once, to Nacogdoches, Texas is great country.
dukenukem said:
Also if your not sure about overclocking your pc you could also askk for help at extremeoverclocking.com.
Yeah, it used to be overclockers.com had great specs to check out for certain projects, but boy has that place changed.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
generalplot said:
I appreciate your backing Eagle. When I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but seems that Redah just has too much pride to do that. If you're ever bored and feel like talking pc's, just drop me an IM or a PM (I'm always in the mood to talk techie). BTW, I've been down there once, to Nacogdoches, Texas is great country.

I'm actually just north of Nacogdoches now. I live in Tyler at the moment, working for a company called Ferguson Beauregard that makes Plunger Lift systems for gas and oil wells. I'm a programmer there. Of course East Texas is nothing like the rest of Texas. East Texas is all green and pretty much reminds you of Mississippi. If you ever went to San Marcos its all plains until you actually reach the San Marcos area and then its all hills and valleys around the most beautifull rivers you've ever seen.

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Sounds like I should head south next winter. ;) There's a great school there in Nacogdoches (I met a girl online named Jammie a few years ago that was there). I'm not sure if you're into him at all, but I know one of these days I gotta see George Strait live in his home state.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Not really much of a country fan, which is odd for a Texan. Stephen F. Austin is a great school for Music students though, I think my sister will be attending there when she finishes TJC. I've been there a couple of times, but you should know that Nacogdoches is rumored to have the largest concentration of paranormal activity in the United States. There is even a ghost named Chester that haunts the auditorium on the campus. You cant see him with your eyes, but he occasionally shows up on film. Of course the more scientific minds would tell you is humidity concentration from the location that the auditorium was built, but thats not as much fun as the ghost stories. There is actually a historical trail that the Boy Scouts run in which you can visit the many "haunted" places in Nacogdoces.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Well, Jammie never told me about Chester. Guess she did want me to stay after all. I can't say he'll keep me away though. Anyways, yeah, I'm a big country buff, but actually, I'll listen to any music, so long as it's good. Rock, country, even Jpop (my av is Ayumi Hamasaki's logo). And a large portion of my site is about her. Anyways, maybe Nacogdoches should be the setting for the sequel to Area 51 (which is an excellent game by the way). :p

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
There is in fact a photo of a scene in a play where although nothing was seen by the observers, in the photo as clear as day there is a large smoky figure of a person lying down arms crossed in the burial position. This photo has been analyzed by Kodak who sent the picture back with a letter that said, whatever was there, was indeed there, there had been no doctoring to the photo.

Another instance where Chester has shown himself was when a young female student snuck into the building to study, after hours. She says she was studying when she felt a cold breeze go by her, and saw a face rise out of the wall. The face stopped, and themouth opened and she says mouthed the words "Leave or die, NOW!" although no voice was heard she took it to heart and started to leave the building. As she was drawing near the exit, the lights went off. The young lady was frightened but determined to get out of the building. She says she was locked in and just as she was about to break the glass to the door, it opened for her. She ran out, and would not go back into the building, and she switched schools and majors shortly afterwards.

The last story I will convey to you happened to a Professor of the Theater Deptartment. He was working late one night, and heard sounds of someone screaming in the dressing closet below the stage. Quickly he ran downstairs, to see if he could aid the victim of whatever heinous crime was being committed. As he was running a hammer fell from the rafters of the building. He noticed it was his hammer, but he had not been up there this day. Puzzled he continued to the dressing room. He arrived at the door and it was locked, odd becaus it had no lock. Undiscouraged he kicked and beat on the door, the screams getting louder. He burst through, and to his astonishment, there was no one in there. Shaken and worried, he thought to lock the door back, only to find there was no lock. Very nervous he decided it was time to leave. On the way back upstairs in the same place, the exact same hammer, his hammer, fell down again, this time it grazed his back on it's fall. The Professor left, but to this day refuses to go in to the Drama building.

Most of these stories were taken frommy father Larry Standridge's book The Ghost's of Nacogdoches

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Redah said:
Pentium4 3.0 GHz vs AthlonXP 3000+ ? AthlonXP wins

You might be right with 2.4 vs 2400+ but not the other one. The speed at which your processor works depends greatly on many factors, not just slappping in anything and expecting it to be super-duper.

I've seen loads of shite P4 built pc's, they are all in theory at a faster clock rate than my old pc, but. my old pc was faster, you know why? because I had better hardware supporting the processor. So I build a PC with my current hardware, new ram, new motherboard, new processor [A complete overhaul, if you will].

Guess what, that leap of faith worked. besides, I still don't see why it matters which manufacturer you buy from matters, I do care when people talk crap, though.

If you say the AMD64 kicks the P4's ass then I might agree but not a crummy Athlon XP. In any case, I'm happy with what i've got despite the fact of being possibly "owned" by pathetic AMD Fanboys.

Call me an Intel Fanboy if you want, but at least I give AMD the credit it is due. Plus as long as my PC can play all games with high settings with a high framerate, I don't really give a toss if your "Processor Size" is bigger.