Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sadly enough, Dell has gone the way of Comcrap and IBM, with the use of a proprietary design. Plus, you get more for your money by building your own system, and it's fully upgradable with anything on the market. I will note that my last laptop was a Dell Inspiron however (only because you can not buy universal parts to build a laptop like you can for a desktop).

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4 Ghz | 6 GB DDR3 RAM in Triple Channel | GeForce GTX 285
    2.5 TB Hard Drive Space | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Official betatester of PCSX2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can say that it was my first purcahse so not too much shame there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let me put it like this: if I don't build it myself, and if I was going to buy a prebuilt system, I would make it a Dell. They still make a better system than Comcrap/Hp or IBM. So your decision to get a Dell is not a bad one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    All these hardware techies, touting their machines, it's almost childish.........

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=851160

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I know is that in the present A64s beat any P4. Pure and Simple! Let's not even talk abot the A64x2!!! I'm waiting Marty to come back and finish all Vbulletin tweaks to see my A64 shining on my specs again
    "Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not really Torek. It's not nearly that simple. My P4 could easily put up a fight against your A64 3000+, beating it a lot of the time, not to mention the P4's superior multitasking capability over a (single-core) Athlon64, on the other hand, the A64 obviously, has 64-bit addressing capabilities, which depending on the rate of growth for 64-bit software, may or may not be benefitial to you.

You have an A64 with an FX5200.. haha.

The FX-5x on the other hand, eats any Pentium up with ease.
    Last edited by cooliscool; July 11th, 2005 at 23:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And what I know is that Redah used a bunch of false theories to make my chip look like ****. And my point is still the same: a 533 Celery chip with 96 megs of ram with an Integrated ATI graphics card and 8 gig HD is still a joke in today's emulation scene. But my system can still handle the new stuff pretty well. And it's 2 years old!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, you have a sweet rig general_plot. Get a new GPU and OC your CPU past 3GHz, and you'll really be in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks cooliscool. I liked that inside shot of your rig (I've never seen a cooling fan/heat sink look like that before, is it liquid cooled or something?) I am thinking of getting a GeForce 6600GT, but I still want to research it a little, 'cause I'm starting to take a second look at ATI.
    BTW, any suggestions for some good OC'ing apps that won't wear out my chip?
    Last edited by General Plot; July 12th, 2005 at 00:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My system is completely air-cooled.. don't have the confidence for water cooling. The fan is designed to look like a Jet engine and with its blower design, pushes a lot of air.. but it's insanely loud. http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/coo...ermaster_jet4/

Currently the 6600GT is best price/performance.. ATi has nothing to combat it in that price range. You should definitely pick one up.

Anyway, (what board do you have?) your BIOS should have FSB adjustment options. The 2.4C cores usually are simply higher end silicon with lower multipliers, which makes them very easy to OC with little to no vcore increase. You should be able to hit 250FSB (3GHz, 1000MHz FSB) with little to no effort. For starters, though, try setting your FSB up 10MHz, test a bit, repeat. If you get errors or instability, increase CPU voltage +0.1, repeat until stable.. try not to go over 1.7V (P4C default is 1.55).. Northwood doesn't really like high voltages, and 1.7 is a good safe limit. They don't run too hot either, so even if you have stock cooling, you should be fine.
    Last edited by cooliscool; July 12th, 2005 at 01:02.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast