What's new

Mupen64 0.4 OSX Test Build

lamer0

This is a temporary/test release of mupen64 0.4. I currently don't have much time to work on mupen64 with finals and all; so the version, which I wanted to originally release with bundle support and new interface needs to wait. While I work on the final release you can go ahead and grab this build to play around with. This build has the 0.4 interpreter core + bug fixes and speed optimizations that I have added.

So enjoy. Please post if you have any runtime problems with the binary. I would also appreciate a consensus of how much of a performance improvement you might be getting with this build.

http://mupen64osx.lamer0.com/files/Mupen64_0.4.dmg.sitx

Hacktarux, I would not add this build to your main page since its only a test build and not the final product which I was planning to release originally. I would like to get my code into the main branch for 0.5 if its OK with you.
Keep up the good work, your emulator rocks.

-Vic

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
yea, we should work something out for a 0.5 OSX release. I'll contact you in a few weeks when i'll be less busy ;)

OP
L

lamer0

I hate to say it but you should really upgrade to 10.3 at least. You can possibly get that build working by relinking which SDL framework to use with install_name_tool. The SDL framework I included is most likely not backward compatible all the way down to 10.2.

Here is an example on how to do it:

install_name_tool -change /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/SDL @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/SDL build/Mupen64.app/Contents/MacOS/Mupen64

Good luck. The people that have used this build say it runs too fast. :happy:

besson3c

Is there source code available for the various plug-ins? I'd like to test this build with sound and input.

If there is source available that will compile within OS X, does this build even support plug-ins?

The video for the games I tried seemed to work flawlessly!

besson3c

damnit... I just can't get these plug-ins to compile. Here are some of the errors I get:

jttl_sound:

gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -ffast-math `gtk-config --cflags` -DUSE_GTK -Wall `sdl-config --cflags` -c -o main.o main.c
main.c: In function 'InitializeAudio':
main.c:581: warning: format '%i' expects type 'int', but argument 2 has type 'long unsigned int'
gcc -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic `gtk-config --libs` -lpthread -lm `sdl-config --libs` -o jttl_audio.so main.o
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0: unrecognized option `-shared'
/usr/bin/ld: unknown flag: -Bsymbolic
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [jttl_audio.so] Error 1

mupen-sound:

gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -ffast-math `gtk-config --cflags` -DUSE_GTK -Wall -c -o main.o main.c
main.c:9:29: error: linux/soundcard.h: No such file or directory
main.c: In function 'AiDacrateChanged':
main.c:39: error: 'SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:39: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.c:39: error: for each function it appears in.)
main.c: In function 'RomOpen':
main.c:317: error: 'SNDCTL_DSP_RESET' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:320: error: 'SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:322: error: 'SNDCTL_DSP_STEREO' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:326: error: 'AFMT_S16_LE' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:327: error: 'SNDCTL_DSP_SAMPLESIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:330: error: 'SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'RomClosed':
main.c:345: error: 'SNDCTL_DSP_SYNC' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

I need to disable this flag just to get this far:

-mcpu=athlon

Any idea what I ought to do?

Reallynotnick

hey thanks alot for the conversion! The only problem is that sound is not even an option (not that it works on most games). Keep up the good work and hope to see .5 comming to mac too.

BountyJedi

Exuse me, but how do you compile plugins for mupen under OS X.
I just got a mac and I'm a bit confused as how to comple them, do I need GTK+? Then how do i get GTK+?

I'm used to Linux and Windows, I have the dev tools needed for compiling stuff but I'm still a bit confused.

Help appreciated.

besson3c

BountyJedi said:
Exuse me, but how do you compile plugins for mupen under OS X.
I just got a mac and I'm a bit confused as how to comple them, do I need GTK+? Then how do i get GTK+?

I'm used to Linux and Windows, I have the dev tools needed for compiling stuff but I'm still a bit confused.

Help appreciated.

Once you've installed XCode, compiling is the same process as it is in Linux.

I wasn't able to get very far in compiling the plugins, but if you want to try you can compile the GTK via Darwinports (http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/). Darwinports is very similar to FreeBSD's port's system.

Keiton

Yet Majora's Mask works pretty well, except one thing that makes the game unbeatable: the Lens of Truth makes illusions disappear but does not show invisible things such as platforms you have to jump on... Putting you in a very awkward situation in the Snowhead Temple.

Still searching for someone who could give me some screenshots of the platforms in there...

besson3c

Keiton said:
Yet Majora's Mask works pretty well, except one thing that makes the game unbeatable: the Lens of Truth makes illusions disappear but does not show invisible things such as platforms you have to jump on... Putting you in a very awkward situation in the Snowhead Temple.

Still searching for someone who could give me some screenshots of the platforms in there...

HOw did you get Majora's Mask working in the OS X build of Mupen? I haven't been able to compile the plugins.

besson3c

Keiton said:
Just get the prerelease :)
http://mupen64osx.lamer0.com/files/Mupen64_0.4.dmg.sitx

But be aware, there are a few random bugs when you load an area, so save very often... And after some time, the Start menus will freeze, but srangely, you'll still be able to leave it by pressing B or Start, and, as I said, the Monocle of Truth won't show what should appear...

What good is it without plug-ins? Are you using the plug-ins from the last release?

Keiton

I'm using this release, and even without the plugins, it is able to run Majora's Mask. That's about all you need to know, isn't it?

There are also some minor graphical gliches...

I also downloaded the source, but I can't build the app...
You can get my builded plugins here, but I'd rather not use them much - I got about 20 warnings while compiling them... If you could somehow upload the app somewhere, it would make a complete mupen64 cvs nearly-working build. :D

besson3c

Keiton said:
I'm using this release, and even without the plugins, it is able to run Majora's Mask. That's about all you need to know, isn't it?

There are also some minor graphical gliches...

I also downloaded the source, but I can't build the app...
You can get my builded plugins here, but I'd rather not use them much - I got about 20 warnings while compiling them... If you could somehow upload the app somewhere, it would make a complete mupen64 cvs nearly-working build. :D

Cool! Mainly, I just want the sound working... I'll play with your precompiled plugs and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!