What's new

RDB WIP-download improved files & help test PJ64 game compatibility please!

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Some RDB errors (on the notes for the default plugins):
"Cruis'n USA [video] slow in places" <-- It isn't slow with the D3D8 video plugin.

"Shadowgate 64 [video] slow" <-- It isn't slow with the D3D8 video plugin. In fact it may seem slow during gameplay but it's the game's normal speed. It has some very minor slowdowns in the begining of the "movies" and when you turn the first page of a book.

"Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars [video] (see GameFAQ)" <-- The GameFAQ entry does not report any "problems" for this game (actually the problems were fixed in v1.6).

The lack of Pixel shaders on some video cards results in various problems on some games (Quest 64, Zelda, etc.). Also, some games are slow with the D3D6 video plugin but fast with the D3D8 video plugin. Maybe a note about these should be added in the "Common Questions & Answers" section. What do you think smiff?

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
well, of course it depends on your system! when i say "slow", i often mean the video plugin uses abnormally high amounts of CPU, so the emulator as a whole *could* slow down - i'd rather be safe and say something might be a problem, so people like you have a good surprise (probably you dont 'see the slowdown' because the counter stays above 60fps), than say it's all ok (or not say anything) and have other people complain.. of course if there really is no issue the comment should go, i will check those again.

it's a good point though, i will think about clarifying this somehow, without getting too wordy..

Last edited:

Nekokabu

Please change it to these setting;)

and Quotation from GameFAQ(Hey You, Pikachu!, Pokemon Stadium etc):
The only way to get voice support in this game is to use real N64 hardware accessories (a genuine N64 microphone and a genuine N64 controller) on a genuine Adaptoid using the Adaptoid input plugin provided. Note that this will theoretically work, but has not been tested.
I think that it is not true.
adaptoid support Mempack and RumblePack *ONLY*.
TransferPack, VRU, BioSensor etc... are not supported.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Nekokabu thanks, i will check over those, a few questions please:

Castlevania, why do you set 8MB RDRAM? i know game supports exp. pak, but how does it help? (i couldn't see any benefit to graphics).

F-Zero, why do you enable TLB? we don't think the game uses it.
Smash Bros, same
Zelda, same.
where do these games use TLB please? would love to know!

Last edited:

Nekokabu

Smiff said:
Castlevania, why do you set 8MB RDRAM? i know game supports exp. pak, but how does it help? (i couldn't see any benefit to graphics).
Castlevania - Legacy of Darkness supported Expansion Pack.
because I change it.

Smiff said:
F-Zero, why do you enable TLB? we don't think the game uses it.
Smash Bros, same
Zelda, same.
where do these games use TLB please? would love to know!
please check state file with hex editor.
and search "TLB", if game uses it, it found.
(*state file is using little endian format, you need to convert little endian -> bigendian.. but it is difficult:( )

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Smiff said:
I use the expansion pack too for this game. That's because if you're using Jabo's D3D6 video plugin and set the memory to 4MB there will be some framebuffer related issues on some menus; if you set the memory to 8MB and make the game use the expansion pack then the errors are gone. Weird...

PS: This works only with Legacy of Darkness (the original Castlevania does not support the expansion pack).

Tiger1

I just played Kirby 64 (E), it says core issues in the database, I played through the first 2 missions and didn't see any problems. In the GameFAQ it says that the energy bar is missing, but I can see it. If you don't believe me just look in the attachment.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
right ok, Castlevania2 is going onto 8MB - res detection actually seems to work in both reses, and on both regions.

edit: btw, this demonstrates nicely why you don't mess with things without much care: now gent has to redo all the cheats to work with the exp pak on. being such a nice guy he's agreed to do it but the changeover could cause problems.

edit2: for anyone following this wondering "wtf, of COURSE i want the exp. pak if the game support it!", no that's not obviously right because (a) the graphics are HLEd and if the game *only* raises the resolution, there is zero benefit from using the extra 4MB, you just raise state sizes hence waste space and possibly slow emulation, (b) it often complicates plugin res detection, because now users can choose two different resolutions when they start the game, there's more to go wrong. hope this explains things!

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

Rat Attack : another core issue creating a video problem

you may say why ?

compare PJ64 and 1964:

here with 1964: impossible to get the house with PJ64

DERBY STALLION 64: save problem: sram cannot be created or something like that. Only Nemu is able to do it. YOU CANNOT PLAY IF YOU CAN'T SAVE.

Ide Yosuke no Mahjong Juku (J): the game doesn't boot. it's a core issue.

Use for example 1964 with Jabo 1.6 and you have gfx ...

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine : need video plugin : why the ?: it's a missing ucode. of course it's a video problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
olivieryuyu said:
Rat Attack : another core issue creating a video problem

you may say why ?

compare PJ64 and 1964:

here with 1964: impossible to get the house with PJ64

Attach a .pj save please just before this and also state what region this is if not both

Trotterwatch

olivieryuyu said:
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine : need video plugin : why the ?: it's a missing ucode. of course it's a video problem.

And you know for 100% certain that there isn't some sort of Core issue too? Think Kirby status bar for example - could be just video, could be a combination of several things. The ? is to denote uncertainty.

olivieryuyu

Trotterwatch said:
And you know for 100% certain that there isn't some sort of Core issue too? Think Kirby status bar for example - could be just video, could be a combination of several things. The ? is to denote uncertainty.

hmm right, may be there is some other issues. At least there is sound :).

Unsupported would be better i think so because Need Video plugin with a ? is not accurate as the ucode is not suported for sure: Factor 5 have developed their own gfx engine (in fact for each games they had developed they had created a gfx engine : those guys was the best (and the more crazy) programmers on the N64 !!!)

;)

Gent said:
Attach a .pj save please just before this and also state what region this is if not both

just start a new game. You'll get this issue just before going in game. For E and U version.

Triple Play 2000: some gfx errors (see the stretched in the public) and the background is messing up with all plugins (it's suspected to be a core problem but who knows ?)

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Beta7 added
I guess the most interesting thing about this one is that i seem to have solved some random hanging in Banjo-Tooie (which Gent said couldn't be done ;)). not certain, but i've had it running demo loops on 3 PCs for hours over the last couple of days. of course you'll all test it better :) there should be little change in performance either.

I haven't put in everything suggested for this update because i wanted to get it posted tonight.

update:
if you want to discuss Banjo-Tooie do it here please.

Last edited:

Antroid

I'm new here and all so i can't know everything that was already mentioned here...

DK64 U crashes after the dolby surround logo, but i think this is only my problem... In DK64 J the song and the subtitles were not synced good...

And the main problem i know is with particles. They are often drawn after the polygons or sometching, i mean they can bee seen through the walls. I remember that bug in EWJ3d, rayman 2 and Disney's Donald Duck... And also about the problem of rayman 2 called "lum colour". I guess that most particles are not drawn properly, they keep only their shape but have the colour of the fog (if there's no fog at the moment, they're drawn nicely). This problem is in Rayman 2 and Donald duck at least (may be in more games) so i guess it should be fixed somehow (if it can be fixed of course). Thanks :alien2:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Just to clarify some things... I don't have access to "slow" CPUs these days (only my laptop that can be underclocked) so I cannot perform accurate tests that have to do with the CPU requirements of the emulator. This means that my previous reports had to do with the video plugins and the way they act.

In particular when I was reffering to Cruis'n USA (which indeed needs a quite fast CPU to run fullspeed) I meant that it had slowdowns even with a fast CPU when using the D3D6 video plugin (the VIs dropped to 30-40 most of the time) but it didn't when using the D3D8 video plugin (constant 60 VIs).

About Shadowgate... After some more tests it seems that the "movies" eat a lot of CPU power and RAM. When running the game after running other applications major slowdowns may occur during these "movies" (probably due to heavy page file usage since the HD activity is constant). Better to bypass these movies when your CPU is not fast enough or you don't have at least 512MBs of RAM.

The particular tests were made on my laptop (Specs: 1.73GHz Pentium M CPU, ATI X600 video card, 512MB RAM). The previous tests were made on my Desktop (see my sig for its specs).
I appologize for any previous inaccurate info Smiff...

olivieryuyu

Tiger1 said:
I just played Kirby 64 (E), it says core issues in the database, I played through the first 2 missions and didn't see any problems. In the GameFAQ it says that the energy bar is missing, but I can see it. If you don't believe me just look in the attachment.

right: the bug occured only at the beginning of the game. At the first boss the problem is solved.

RadeonUser

olivieryuyu said:
right: the bug occured only at the beginning of the game. At the first boss the problem is solved.

Nope. This happens later on in the game as well. The status bar comes and goes quite often during gameplay. This is a core problem since the plugins show it perfect on Mupen64. From my testing no core setting helps so that it is why it is keeping its status.

Clements

- Doubutsu no Mori (J) has a messed up Pause menu (see shot) which appears not to be fixed with Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM. So unless this is fixable:

? -> [video] error(s):pause menu

- Turok - Dinosaur Hunter (any version, region) - wall and ground textures messed up in D3D8 1.6 plugin, use D3D6 1.5.2 instead, textures works fine, apart from the map being messed up (D3D8 is fine with the map). Neither plugin emulates the game without problems.

-> [video] error(s):textures

olivieryuyu

Clements said:
- Doubutsu no Mori (J) has a messed up Pause menu (see shot) which appears not to be fixed with Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM. So unless this is fixable:

? -> [video] error(s):pause menu

video error: direct64 is able to show it correctly: it's a huge fb effect.

Mickey's Speedway USA: the lights at the beginning of the race doesn't work correctly. Impossible to know if it's a core or a plugin issue (every plugins ... )

Last edited: