What's new

.cms files?

Dutchbest

Hello, I'm new to the forums so I'm not quite sure if this question is allowed...but here goes.

Since a few days I've been extracting files from a .gcm file and there are 2 main types of files I need to open/extract, which are .tpl and .cms files. I managed to view the .tpl files thanks to a tool found on these boards, but does anybody know how I can open/view/extract the .cms files and or what they excactly are?

Thanks in advance!

~Dutchbest.

thakis

What rom are these files from? What do you expect that they contain (geometry, texture, ...)? How large are they?

DOGG

Although filext has a listing for .cms, the gc files could very well be their own format which for which there is no public program

OP
D

Dutchbest

thakis said:
What rom are these files from? What do you expect that they contain (geometry, texture, ...)? How large are they?

Fire Emblem: Path of the Blue Flame (english name , not released yet)
Fire Emblem: Sôuen no Kiseki (Japanese name, the .gcm I have)

They are mostly between 15 - 50 KB and contain most likely 2d graphics, although I could be wrong.

DOGG said:
Although filext has a listing for .cms, the gc files could very well be their own format which for which there is no public program

That is indeed one of the possibilities, in that case there will be no way to open it.

OP
D

Dutchbest

Yes, the zip contains a file named IKE.cms, but I think I can conclude that this is a file type specificly designed for this game or just an encrypted file and it will be impossible to open?

Thanks for your answer and time.

thakis

It *is* probably a file type specificly designed for this game, but just because of that it's not impossible to open. If you have a good idea what's in there (e.g. image data), chances are you can find out how the file format is organized (if you're a programmer, that is ;) ).