What's new

Project64 1.6 crashes on my system

ShawnShey1

Hi,

I recently installed Project64 1.6, but it crashes in every game I try it with. When compared to 1.51 (or whatever the last version is) the graphics are better. Goldeneye on the previous version ran at like 30 FPS on my system, but when starting it now it plays near 60 FPS.

But in all games I've tried (Goldeneye, Mario Kart, WWF No Mercy) the game starts out playing fine, then a few minutes later the framerate drops tremendously and ultimately results in a crash.

The last version of Project64 worked fine for me, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Specs:

Celeron 2.3 GHZ
256 MB RAM
Intel 82845G integrated video (latest drivers + latest DirectX)
Project64 1.6 - default plugins

When it is running, Project64 also reports as taking up roughly 65 MB of RAM in the Task Manager.

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
S

ShawnShey1

Trotterwatch said:
Have you tried running PJ64 using the other graphics plugin (the D3D6 one?)

I just tried it using the D3D6 plugin.

Mario Kart performs the same as it does in PJ64 1.51 (no crashes). Ditto for Goldeneye (only plays at 30 FPS).

I'm just trying to figure out why the D3D8 plugin works so good for like the first 10 minutes of a game, and then the emulator crashes.

I can't play Goldeneye with the D3D6 plugin as 30 FPS is way too slow.

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
I have very few problems with any games with this emulator version. Well done guys AWESOME WORK!

Thanks

ArgJuli

Argentine emutalk-tennisplayer
I have the same problem with my sistem......Pentium 4, 264 MB Ram, S3 Prosavage DDR, DirectX9.0c, Project64 1.6-default plugins.....Bye!

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
ArgJuli said:
I have the same problem with my sistem......Pentium 4, 264 MB Ram, S3 Prosavage DDR, DirectX9.0c, Project64 1.6-default plugins.....Bye!

Spot the problem with your system? Its the bit that reads S3 Prosavage DDR. Sigh UPGRADE

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
This thread is about crashes not performance drops. Video cards however crappy don't tend to cause crashes.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The savage does, though. Or so at least it did in previous versions... the savage is a bad, bad card.

Clements

Yep, Savage cards are known to crash with Jabo's plugins. In this case I'd strongly recommend an upgrade, preferably to a FX 5200 or above to fully support Jabo's D3D8 1.6. There is not a way around the issue besides using other plugins.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I agree that Savage owners can't use Direct3d8 1.6 though they can always use the older plugins.

ArgJuli

yep.....but why LinktheHero can play games with Project64 1.6 with a S3 Prosavage??? he has the same sistem that I have....

jamesyfx

I can play most games with a ProSavage card. Even Conkers BFD and Donkey Kong. The ony one I have problems with is Yoshis Story, but thats not exactly one I'd want to play. :p

I wouldnt really like to spend money on a video card when you could simply buy the real console for less. :( Thats what's always put me off.

ArgJuli

and what is you Project64 configuration????

Edit: with Direct3d hal the emulator and the CPU hangs in every game.....and with RGB Emulation I can play (excellent graphics) but the FPS are low ( 6-8 FPS ingame; 20FPS in menu)........If many people can play with a S3 Prosavage Why I can't play with it???? maybe because I don't have DirectX9.0c or another program or something???? :huh: ......

Last edited: