What's new

Direct64 v0.5.03.25

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
What should I do, get an ATI? I'd get one but there are three reasons I can't. Wait, three reasons, 1: Lack of funds, 2: ATIs are very incompatible with many games, and 3: Only the most recent ATIs are actually worth getting (i.e Radeon X800). But, suppose I had the funds, should I get a GeForce 6600 GT series (or whatever the newer ones are called)?

Reznor007

Where did you get the idea that ATI cards are incompatible with games? I've had my 9600 for about a year and a half and haven't had any problems with games I've tried.

The cheapest upgrade for you would be either a Geforce 6600 or a cheap Radeon 9800/X700. Or you could go for the $350 256MB X800XL with TV capture support ;)

OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
dragon_rider (and other nVidia users): Try this, it may help you out with the low performance. It uses half precision values in the pixel shaders instead of full precision (still way more precision than the N64 uses).

dragon_rider said:
2: ATIs are very incompatible with many games, and 3: Only the most recent ATIs are actually worth getting (i.e Radeon X800).
I'll have to disagree with these points. My 9500 Pro has run nearly every game I've thrown at it without a problem, and the few that have had problems I wouldn't call "very incompatible". They were mostly minor issues (that have been fixed in recent driver updates btw). And on point 3: hate to break it to you, but my 9500 Pro beats your FX 5700 on most benchmarks. And the 9800 stomps it in everything. Earlier Radeons are definately worth getting...

Last edited:

Ryusan

Starfox64 show this on my computer (see picture join) , with 1964 and your last plugin (Direct64 v0.5.03.25b)

I have a nVIDIA GeForce ti4200 (64 Mo RAM) with the last driver (forceware 76.10), 512 Mo DDRAM and an ATHLON XP 2000+.

Please correct this bug quickly !! I like your plugin ! :p

amano

Orkin said:
dragon_rider (and other nVidia users): Try this, it may help you out with the low performance. It uses half precision values in the pixel shaders instead of full precision (still way more precision than the N64 uses).
Are there any disadvantages to be expected regarding version b? Additional graphic problems?

Otherwise why don't you suggest it to be used by all (Radeons, too) people?

@ Rysan:

I had severe problems with the series 7x.xx detonators and my Ti 4200 for Rice' and Orkins plugins. Revert back to 66.xx which works great for me.

This glitch doesn't show up for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragon_rider

&#31169;&#12399;&#31452;&#12364;&#22909;&#12365;&#
Sorry about ripping on ATIs, it's just that I've had many problems with their cards. Well, what did I expect with a ATI Rage Pro 8MB? A lot. But now that they have Radeons with 256MB and 6 million vertex/second processing, they don't seem nearly as bad as I thought. I wish I had one, though. I'll try out the beta version and I'll give some feeback.

My response to Direct64 v0.5.03.25b, *ahem*....Best...plugin....ever! This is way more linient on the videocard! Way to go, Orkin! Keep up the good work! I still get freakin' good graphics, and full speed at a higher resolution!

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

This plugin is excellent on a Radeon 8500 (and fast in everything I've thrown at it - in high res, albeit it only uses 1.4 shaders, but hey they seem enough for this :)).

Clements

amano said:
Are there any disadvantages to be expected regarding version b? Additional graphic problems?

Pretty simple really, if a card can handle full precision with no performance hit, then why not use full precision? For me and owners of a decent Radeons there would be no speed gain in our case using a lower precision. Perhaps in the future Orkin may include a selectable Partial and Full precision option in a single plugin.

OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
amano said:

There really isn't much disadvantage as half precision is still plenty for color blending, but GeForce FX users are probably the only ones that'll see much improvement since Radeons can handle floats in PSs much better, PS 1.x compile targets will likely compile down to using fixed point, and PS 3.0 targets can handle the floats without a problem.

I'll probably just leave it at half precision, as there is no discernable quality loss, and it will allow GeForce FX cards to run much better. Depending on how things go I might need more precision in the future though...(you can't do good per-pixel lighting, normal mapping, and parallax occlusion mapping in half precision)

Last edited:

Jokke_r

Got some new bugs for you,

i have v.25, not 25b and i have a radeon9800 pro with catalyst 5.3, Everything works splendid now, no more blinking widescreen edges nor blinking sky in mountain village in majoras mask. But this happens everytime after i'v looked into the bombers notebook (see pic) i always just save and close the rom and reload save when this happens. Also another problem which i don't have a pic for, but everytime in majoras mask when the clocksound starts counting down to night or morning, by every bell clang the screen grows smaller black edges appearing around the image in the top and left side while bottom and right side seems to somehow stretch out the screens last pixels all the way to the edge, this dissapears when the countdown is complete and the screen declaring night or day has appeared.

Last edited:

Reznor007

It won't matter at all on ATI hardware since Radeons can ONLY do full precision in the pixel shader. They don't support partial precision at all(nvidia was the one that wanted that one). If you choose to do partial precision, it will still do the same calculations as full precision.

Jokke_r said:
Got some new bugs for you,

i have v.25, not 25b and i have a radeon9800 pro with catalyst 5.3, Everything works splendid now, no more blinking widescreen edges nor blinking sky in mountain village in majoras mask. But this happens everytime after i'v looked into the bombers notebook (see pic) i always just save and close the rom and reload save when this happens. Also another problem which i don't have a pic for, but everytime in majoras mask when the clocksound starts counting down to night or morning, by every bell clang the screen grows smaller black edges appearing around the image in the top and left side while bottom and right side seems to somehow stretch out the screens last pixels all the way to the edge, this dissapears when the countdown is complete and the screen declaring night or day has appeared.

The proper effect here is the game shrinks it's rendering window at each tone, leaving black borders around the edges.

Noxious Ninja

Orkin said:
I'll probably just leave it at half precision, as there is no discernable quality loss, and it will allow GeForce FX cards to run much better. Depending on how things go I might need more precision in the future though...(you can't do good per-pixel lighting, normal mapping, and parallax occlusion mapping in half precision)

Dude. Awesome. :bouncy:

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

i can get correct coronas behavior with depth render with Jet Force Jemini

you're the first one to do it. congratulations

but afaik the game is likely with depth render option to hang and is still not playable so ...

:(

olivieryuyu

Trotterwatch said:
Olivier, any chance you could upload a state of an area that does the coronas? (or if it's near the beginning let me know) :)

just begin a new game and during the intro threre is coronas that are hidden when they should and that appears when they should too

;)

Ps: after a while it hangs afaik :(

Last edited:

gandalf

Member ready to help
nice, jet force jemini now works fine!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Only the shadows are missed (rice have the shadows working correctly)and i don´t see the coronas because i passed that part
The Frame Buffers effects works fine (when the player gets damaged, in rice you´ll see an black screen instead of the real effect in your plug-in (an red screen and in-game action)

olivieryuyu

it hangs with depth render so it's not perfect for the moment

hmm the hanging is due to the use of clear in n64 color image

without this the game is nice :)