What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Beta version 6.1.1 beta10

TallgeeseIII

yeah, i have the same problems in OOT with link's forearm gauntlets and the stretched texture for his belt (the buckle is a seperate texture, it works, the texture going around his body doesn't) all ci textures that don't change pallettes.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Federelli

Are you using beta 10? Palette CRC value for beta 10 is different. If you dumpped the texture with beta 8, you may want to use the debugger to dump it again with beta 10 in order to get the new filename.

Why not just use the "allciByRGBA" solution, without the palette CRC?

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Federelli, I think there is a relation between your problem and something strange I found using extremely wide textures in SSB (a good example is the DATA Tab in the Data Section of the Main Menu): Either they are ignored, or they get corrupted when displayed. If that's the case, this is an old bug (which I forgot to mention), not new in beta10.

Some comments about this:
1) The texture I want to replace with is a 4X.
2) I tried on beta10 today to confirm if the bug still existed, and found that apart from not being displayed, the bug affects other textures as well (2nd screenshot).
3) In the earlier betas (and 6.1.0), that seemed to happen only with DirectX, OpenGL didn't have any bugs EDIT: I added two more screenshots to confirm it (#4 for DirectX, #5 for OpenGL, sorry for the amount of images). Apparently, the same happens on both renderers now. Sometimes, the rightmost portion of the tab appears at the left, with wrong size.
4) My textures are RGBA, not CI.
5) The RAR includes the hires texture, in 4X and 2X versions.

Federelli, as a workaround, try reducing the image to 2X, it worked for me (third screenshot). Compared with 4X, the sharpness loss is really noticeable at 1024x768 and up, but your texture might work fine this way, and it's still better than 1X. :) I've never used 3X, anyways, I suggest you try with a 2X texture first. (Btw, looking great!)

Rice, sorry about not reporting this before. I forgot due to the workaround. :plain:

Last edited:

TallgeeseIII

whew, the bug reports keep on coming, i found some new proof of the problem with certain textures in zelda (and probably other games but zelda's the only n64 game i'm playing lately)

the textures for the forearm of link's gauntlets, belt, and hair are shown in the first picture below. these are the textures i've been having a problem with.

what i discovered is that, even though your plugin doesn't dump textures over again if they're already dumped, it does do it for these 3 textures. not for any of the other ones, i think it's a problem with the naming system or something, i believe that the plugin doesn't see these textures in the dump folder or the hi res folder, therefore it doens't load them when i replace them, and it redumps them everytime. i included a rar with the 3 textures so you can analyze them yourself, i'm sure this bug is wider than just these 3 textures.

what's interesting with the hair is that the it get's replaced in the front, but not in the back and also has the redumping problem, it's the only hair texture that get's dumped so why would it load in one place and not in another when both use the same texture...

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
_pm_

There is a problem with extra large textures. I have limited maximum texture size to 1024 for both width and height. It is not a problem if hires textures are not used. It is now a problem. I will reconsider it.

Federelli

Beta Tester
TallgeeseIII, i think that even though both hair textures are the same, they are named differently in the game.

Rice, the texture in dispute is only 512

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Federelli said:
Rice, the texture in dispute is only 512
He was talking about my 4X texture, which is 1088x84. Looks like your problem is different :(
Btw, are you sure that your PNG has an alpha channel? If not, try adding one. If the alpha channel dissapears after you reload the image, try tweaking it a bit (although this shouldn't be a problem in Photoshop). If you want, check if the attached texture helps. (Rice, just a comment, for some reason I still need to do that with some non-transparent CI textures in PSP, even with the "Load...from alpha channel option" you mentioned before enabled)

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
_pm_ is right. 1088x84 is wider than 1024, so that texture won't be load. I will do something about it later.

Regarding alpha channal with Paintshop Pro 8/9, I have beening reading a PSP ebook for two days. I have learned that you can:

- load mask from alpha channel, or
- open the *_a.png file together, then load mask from the opened image (Create new mask layer from image...), or
- create mask layer from current image (from a different choices)

Before you save the file, you want to delete the mask layer. When you delete the mask layer, PSP will ask you if you want to merge the mask layer to the layer below, you need to answer "yes". Then the mask layer (the alpha channel we call) will be merged.

You can also try to "Save mask layer to alpha".

By doing something like this, I don't have probably with the alpha channel anymore.

bestbiz

File address error?

Game : SMASH BROTHERS

Different file name..

[old] -> applied.
SMASH BROTHERS#29BF0FC7#0#2_rgb.png ->

[beta10] -> not apply.
SMASH BROTHERS#84F66DC8#0#2_rgb(all).png

etc....

SMASH BROTHERS#10B9DD4B#0#2_rgb.png -> SMASH BROTHERS#84F66DC8#0#2_rgb(all).png

Also wrong another file name..

'SMASH BROTHERS#38805D71#0#2_all(rgb).png' is no match name..

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Rice said:
_pm_ is right. 1088x84 is wider than 1024, so that texture won't be load. I will do something about it later.

Regarding alpha channal with Paintshop Pro 8/9, I have beening reading a PSP ebook for two days. I have learned that you can:

- load mask from alpha channel, or
- open the *_a.png file together, then load mask from the opened image (Create new mask layer from image...), or
- create mask layer from current image (from a different choices)

Before you save the file, you want to delete the mask layer. When you delete the mask layer, PSP will ask you if you want to merge the mask layer to the layer below, you need to answer "yes". Then the mask layer (the alpha channel we call) will be merged.

You can also try to "Save mask layer to alpha".

By doing something like this, I don't have probably with the alpha channel anymore.
Thanks Rice, deleting the mask layer didn't work for me, but using "Save mask to alpha channel" does. :)
Btw, I dedicated some time to investigate it a bit more, and found a slight different way to do the same:

1) Make sure that "Load and save transparency to/from alpha channel" is enabled (File/Preferences/File Format.../PNG).
2) Make sure there is only one layer (Raster or background). If not, merge all of them.
3) Click "Mask Show All" (the icon with a mask)
4) Save Mask to Alpha Channel (Layers Menu, Load/Save Mask).

This way, you create the mask you need with a single click and you don't need to delete it before saving.
Images with transparent areas don't actually need such tasks, and they seem to be easier to handle with "layer transparency" save mode.
Btw, I think that a PSP script might help in automating these tasks a bit.

Well, enough off-topic for now, sorry about that :plain:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
bestbiz said:
Game : SMASH BROTHERS

Different file name..

[old] -> applied.
SMASH BROTHERS#29BF0FC7#0#2_rgb.png ->

[beta10] -> not apply.
SMASH BROTHERS#84F66DC8#0#2_rgb(all).png

etc....

SMASH BROTHERS#10B9DD4B#0#2_rgb.png -> SMASH BROTHERS#84F66DC8#0#2_rgb(all).png

Also wrong another file name..

'SMASH BROTHERS#38805D71#0#2_all(rgb).png' is no match name..
Bestbiz, the first two are working fine here.
The last one is not 38805D71, it's 21A79548!! :)
You need to make a redump of the non-matching textures. :plain:

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
_pm_

In the current beta release, OGL render works for wide textures. There is no texture size checking with OGL.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
TallgeeseIII

I guess the game is using different texture replication for different part of the hair. If you have followed the texture replication problem with SSB64, you will understand that there are difficulties to deal with such texture replication usages.

To verify it, you can use the debugger versioni. You need to step to the point where the hair is rendered, then manually dump the texture. Not only base textures are dumpped, but also the replicated textures are dumpped. The debugger will open the replicated texture for you. You can then compare it to the base texture.

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Rice said:
_pm_

In the current beta release, OGL render works for wide textures. There is no texture size checking with OGL.
Rice, if you mean the beta10, it looks like something got broken here (first screenshot, using OpenGL): the tab shows but it is not placed correctly, and you need to switch characters pressing left or right to make it appear for first time.
OGL was working fine before, with the same settings, that's why I posted a 6.1.0 screenshot in my previous messages (the 6.1.0 shot is just to show it was working fine, you know that I can't use 6.1.0 due to all the replication bugs).
I wanted to help, so I tracked the problem myself trying with the old betas, and found that the bug started after beta6 (the second screenshot is from beta6, as you see, the texture loads and shows correctly). Beta8 has the bug, and I couldn't test beta7, so I guess the problem is with something you changed between beta6 and beta8.

Talking about OpenGL, I have random flickering textures with OGL renderer when playing in a stage (for example, playing Hyrule Castle in VS Mode). I couldn't take a screenshot of this, the textures seem to dissapear and reappear only for a frame. The same happens with hires textures disabled.

bestbiz

non-matching textures

_pm_ said:
Bestbiz, the first two are working fine here.
The last one is not 38805D71, it's 21A79548!! :)
You need to make a redump of the non-matching textures. :plain:

Only Ricevideo6.1.1beta10 dumped non-matching textures.

EX) Karbi's Dream Land of SSB64

*Old dump(~beta9) --> texture applied
SMASH BROTHERS#A8439CF7#2#0#02B81408_ciByRGBA.png

*Redump beta10 --> not applied..
SMASH BROTHERS#F688A184#2#0_ci.bmp
SMASH BROTHERS#F688A184#2#0#02B81408_ci.bmp
SMASH BROTHERS#F688A184#2#0#02B81408_ciByRGBA.png

EX2) Yoshi's Island of SSB64

*Old dump(~beta9) --> not applied..
SMASH BROTHERS#525CA7B7#2#0#161AA6FA_ciByRGBA.png

*Redump beta10 --> texture applied
SMASH BROTHERS#525CA7B7#2#0#8871E7DA_ciByRGBA.png