What's new

Better n64 netplay idea! (sorry if theres a duplicate of this)

E

emuguy

OK, im no coder but i kinda just thought of an idea that might make netplay nice and stable. It would be a lot of work on the users side as absolutley everything would need to be preset, but i dont think the application itself would not be much work at all. Anyway, the idea is this. Why not have an external app that can transfer gameshark codes into the emulators/games memory on the fly. So, say you want to play goldeneye over the net with a friend. You preset all the codes that need to be updated so they can be updated x ammount of times per second just like in any other online game. So, to play goldeneye, you would need to set up all the codes for the specific map that you would like to play, such as player location, player health, player inventory, player rotation, weapon state (is it picked up/isnt it picked up), weapon position, time till next weapon spawn, health for each prop, position for each prop. doors opened or closed?
So, for example your playing facility. Player 1's location is set at the memory address 80012345, his health is set at 80054321 and the fact that hes carrying a pp7 is set at 80098765 and his ammo count for the weapon is set at 80065748. So before you start the game, you decide what map you want to play and input these codes into the external application which will send out updates of them many times per second to the other players. Obviousley the only player code that would be sent would be the location of your own player. All other player locations will be determined by the info from the other players. as for firing, i think it would be updated frequently enough for eveything to stay consisten since it will be updating faster than the player can actually fire a weapon. Like i said the application doesnt really sound like it would be much work at all, as all it will need to do is update memory and be able to have codes set within it. Altho maybe an external app wouldnt be wise, maybe a plugin would be better? Let me know if this idea is feasable or at least possible? Thanx!

Cönker1

When they said think outside the box, they didn't mean get drunk and lose it.

Last edited:
OP
E

emuguy

Cönker said:
When they said think outside the bow, they didn't mean get drunk and lose it.

:O, its not far fetched lol. just probably a long and tedious job.

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
It is actually possible to sync the memory in order to force play. But, unlike what you said. The app itself along with the syncing and finding every single code to map would be hard to do. Just take a look at www.mtavc.com. MTA uses the concept your thinking of, by syncing memcodes in order for GTA3 and VC online play. It is a tedious job, and the final result isn't as good as you'd think it would be. But they have in fact created a new version that is still a WIP, but it is almost like professional multiplayer should be. They completed this after YEARS of work..

Now, in order to do this with the N64.. Just think how hard it would be.

vleespet

The decent one
And you know that you also can get stoned, and everything will go its way as you want to see it.

OP
E

emuguy

all the codes are already found actually. its just a matter of forcing em to update. Theres codes for just about everything in most games now. Item modifiers, item location codes, player location codes for spawn points, codes for what weapons a player has, even down to the point where you can modify the weapon to how you see fit. If someone was prepared to do this i wouldnt mind taking the time setting up games to run with it.