What's new

~-: Warning :-~

smcd

I find that to be the most ironic thing ever. Spyware/adware/whateverware that installs itself then advertises cleaners to remove such software.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Heh, if you were worried about that download the program Eraser, its free and isn't spyware... I despise spyware...

Eagle

aka Alshain
Raise your hand if you allow your friends to go mucking about on your hard drive looking for deleted files.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
lol, you know how hard it is to find erased data on a harddrive sometimes?? Its in shambled, binary code half the time

Fact:
The FBI uses WDClear or an equivalent, 7 times before they get rid of their hardrives, guess its useless for me to look through their garbage now.

smcd

tye stik said:
lol, you know how hard it is to find erased data on a harddrive sometimes?? Its in shambled, binary code half the time

Fact:
The FBI uses WDClear or an equivalent, 7 times before they get rid of their hardrives, guess its useless for me to look through their garbage now.

You should read Peter Guttman's article regarding just how much effort it *really* takes to remove data to the point it becomes pointless to try to recover it - it's far more than DoD spec.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

dogdogwoof

Part-Time Coder/Sleeper
or if you really wanna make sure nobody has access to your hdd, sit a magnet on it :D problem solved, just need a new hdd :p

OP
Malcolm

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Actually, average house hold magnets can't do shit to hard drives, you need a very powerful magnet to effect hard drives; floppies are a completely different story.