What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

_pm_ Super Smash Bros.

optimus$prime

Federlli said:
How are you working with CI textures? I can't in photoshop, not without changing the palette.

if you want to save it in photoshop it works the same. but when orig palette is loaded you have to copy it then paste it in paint on the original one and save it.
you can't save it in photoshop

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Federelli said:
I don't know how to export a palette, neither is the option anywhere to be found :(.
Sorry, I don't have Photoshop, so I can't confirm if it has an option to import/export palettes. :(

Anyways, you can do what optimus$prime "tried" to say: (sorry optimus) :)

1) Open the ci texture with both Paint and Photoshop.
2) Edit the texture in Photoshop as normally.
3) When you've finished, copy the entire image (from PS) and paste it into MS-Paint. You should be able to see a less-colored version of your improved texture. If you think it's okay, save the image in Paint. Also, this is rather obvious: If you want to keep a copy of your truecolor texture for later usage, use a different filename and/or location, or you'll overwrite the texture you saved before. :plain:

If for some reason that doesn't work, you can use IrfanView to import/export the palettes.

Last edited:

optimus$prime

1.save the palette of the original one (choose Image, Mode, Color Table)
2.for improving switch to rgb mode (try to work with palette colors)
3.when finished choose Image, Mode, Indexed Color ->CuSToM and reload the original palette; play with dither to get the best result u like.
4.copy the entire image and paste it onto the original texture in ms paint and save it

that's it!

Last edited:

Vkar

What do you guys think?
I used photoshop for making the picture and the gimp for repairing the palette (grrrr)
Update:

Last edited:

optimus$prime

Vkar said:
What do you guys think?
I used photoshop for making the picture and the gimp for repairing the palette (grrrr)
Update:

nice textures :bouncy:

if you like to retexture a whole stage i would suggest you to work on another than "castle hyrule" because _pm_ is already working on it. i'm working on "planet zebes". so please work on another stage...

this is the fastest way finishing all stages

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
optimus$prime said:
if you like to retexture a whole stage i would suggest you to work on another than "castle hyrule" because _pm_ is already working on it. i'm working on "planet zebes". so please work on another stage...

this is the fastest way finishing all stages

Nice textures Vkar!

I can't wait to see a full retexturize of Zebes. :)

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Finally, I added some shadow to the LCD text in the training mode indicators. It may be fairly noticeable, but I'm afraid about blurring the text if I add too much shadow. :plain:

Also, I corrected the shadows in the damage indicator numbers and aligned all training mode menu text.

I realized that the targets from the bonus stages I did before sucked, so I remade them from scratch and now they keep their original appearance, with better quality :)

I don't care if somebody is working on the same textures than me, my textures have details that some people may like, but others don't. However, optimus you are right, there are LOTS of textures to work with, it will take a while to "retexture" the entire game :huh: Good luck with Planet Zebes' textures!! :)

Last edited:

optimus$prime

nice work on the lcd text!
if u don't like it that blur try to sharpen the texture when finished
do plan to improve the background texture of the castle hyrule stage?
creating a total new that looks like the orig one is almost impossible;
improving the orig one is difficult -> i would never paste details on background-textures
and i also know that it is cut in many pieces.....

working on planet zebes is really fun
i'm not at home for next 2 days so this means no retexturing :blush:
but maybe this helps me to get new ideas into the project

Last edited:

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Nice _pm_!

Are you going to release the training text soon? It looks awesome, I've been playing Smash Brothers a lot more because of these textures. ^^

_pm_

Pathetic Member
optimus$prime said:
nice work on the lcd text!
if u don't like it that blur try to sharpen the texture when finished

Thanks, I'll see if sharpening the textures helps. Maybe i'm being a bit picky, but it seems that the text looks better without the extra shadow (take a looks at the first screenshots and compare yourself). It's a matter of taste anyways. :plain:

optimus$prime said:
do plan to improve the background texture of the castle hyrule stage?
creating a total new that looks like the orig one is almost impossible;
improving the orig one is difficult -> i would never paste details on background-textures
and i also know that it is cut in many pieces.....
It would be nice to improve the background texture. :p Yes it's annoying the fact that they are cut in more than 30 pieces, but I think it would worth the value. Anyways, I have no idea what to put on it... If you guys have a decent landscape which I could use to replace the original one, please let me know. The original backgrounds are 300 pixels wide (don't know about their height, I didn't count the pieces, maybe around 200 pixels in total).

optimus$prime said:
working on planet zebes is really fun
i'm not at home for next 2 days so this means no retexturing :blush:
but maybe this helps me to get new ideas into the project
Ok, we'll be waiting for you (and your textures, hehe) :)

Vile324 said:
Are you going to release the training text soon? It looks awesome, I've been playing Smash Brothers a lot more because of these textures. ^^
Thanks for your comments :) The file below is an update which includes all the training text (including the training menu), the damage indicator numbers I corrected today, some Pokémon, a modified Hyrule Castle texture (the green one, I figured it had some glitches so I remade it) and other stuff (including the circle that rounds your character when you are offscreen, lol :)), 98 textures in total. I hope you like them.
EDIT: Removed

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Well, I picked an image at random and applied on Hyrule Castle's background to test if replacing the background with a 4X image was possible. It seems that it can be replaced without any noticeable problems (I have no idea if these enhancements "eats" your video cards, working fine here).

It would be nice to find/make a decent replacement background as close as the original as possible. I post the original one if for some reason someone can improve it or find a decent replacement.

Anyways, I'll continue with the regular textures for now :)

EDIT: I figured that the background is missing the top and bottom textures. I'll upload the correct dumps later :huh:

Last edited:

jdsony

That looks great. Be nice to see a remake of the original but it's good to see anyway. I didn't realize that the backgrounds were one image. I assumed they would be tiled images which is always so much more work. I'm definitely going to get into this retexturing and put my skills to good use. I'll start on something else though that doesn't have people working on it yet.

_pm_

Pathetic Member
jdsony said:
That looks great. Be nice to see a remake of the original but it's good to see anyway. I didn't realize that the backgrounds were one image. I assumed they would be tiled images which is always so much more work. I'm definitely going to get into this retexturing and put my skills to good use. I'll start on something else though that doesn't have people working on it yet.
Actually, they are tiled 300x6 images which I joined with a lot of patience :(
If you want, I'll give you the filenames, there are about 40 textures in total.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Joining tiled images could be a common and annoy thing to do. I don't think it is a good idea to join images in image processing softwares like Photoshop by cutting and pasting.

If you have MATLAB, it could be much easier. In MATLAB, you can load the images as arrays. You can then join the array easily to a big array, and you can then save the big array to an image.

I think you basically need to use a command line utility to perform such tasks. Command line gives you the ability to control the image joining exactly, not just cut and paste, and try to move the pasted block with your mouse when you are pasting it.

Splitting an image to tiled images could be done similarly in MATLAB.

Btw, we probably don't need to 4 times enlarge a background image if the image is already large. Enlarge it by 3 times or 2 times could work just fine.

(I probably should allow to use JPEG image files for large images. JPEG is lossy compression, but its file size is significantly smaller than lossless PNG for large images.)

Last edited:

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Well, would it (the good SSB background implementation) overtax a videocard with 256MB DDR400?

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Rice said:
Btw, we probably don't need to 4 times enlarge a background image if the image is already large. Enlarge it by 3 times or 2 times could work just fine.

(I probably should allow to use JPEG image files for large images. JPEG is lossy compression, but its file size is significantly smaller than lossless PNG for large images.)

Would it decrease the loading time? Even in the 800x600 resolution, my processor is almost maxed emulating it. Any bigger a resolution and the speed drops tremondously to about 35FPS.

I don't mind the size of the files, just the loading time.. if it can be decreased, it would be extremely appericiated.