What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Cloudscapes' Super Mario 64 texture pack thread..

OP
cloudscapes

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
Excellent! I didn't know about the recursive folder searching. Very useful!

Off-topic: how does one edit the title of a thread? I tried the Edit button and tried editing it there, but on the forum it stick with the old one.

Last edited:

_Ombra_

Rice: i don't know if this problem is related to the z-buffering but probably it is. When you play with DirectX there are a lot of problems like that, especially if you use hi-res textures. Everything gets messed up once in a while. One object gets on top of another and textures too. With OpenGL i didn't noticed any problem.

Orkin: Awesome font, it looks really good

cloudscapes: Tried your pack and the game looks way better. Nice work with keeping the textures as close as possible to the original ones. Keep it up!

Rice

Emulator Developer
Ya, I have just found the same problem. It is a minor bug regarding the z coordinates in DirectX. I will change it back.

GIR

Hi all, I've modified a few sm64 textures, I'm taking this "project" very slowly one texture per day, at this rate I should be finished in 30 years :D

hizoka10

I remake some textures to, let me know if find them nice I'll continue.
If you agree cloudscape, I could start this long work from the end of the game to save time.
Some textures don't always load don't know why, if someone could help me it would be great.
Cloudscape, as I say it in my read me, don't give both _all and _rgb/_a it takes place for nothing. only _rgb is required for textures that doesn't have a mask. Really grat work.

OP
cloudscapes

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
Hi hizoka10,

Yeah I found out about only needing the _rgb a few days ago. I didn't update the zips in this thread because I intend on only doing weekly updates. Thanks, though.

You're free to upgrade SM64 textures, but I think I'd rather continue up till the end for my pack (except maybe the text or character textures). I want to stick to a certain "painted" and slightly grainy style. Your textures don't really fit with that.

Little word of advice, some textures don't need upgrading at all. I noticed you upgraded the butterfly and star (on the doors) textures, but these are so small in-game that it doesn't make a difference IMHO. Also, you might want to add a little detail to blown up textures, like brush strokes, lines, and slight grain. A lot of your textures are nice, but (i hate to say it) some others look like they were only scaled up with bicubic filtering, maybe a bit of median (like the metal rusty door for example). In my opinion, it's only worth upgrading textures is actual detail is added, much like your pretty green marble-like texture, turquoize glowing pebbles, and others.

OP
cloudscapes

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
Friday, March 4th, 2005
SUPER MARIO 64 - TEXTURE PACK v.003

And I just realized that I forgot inside the volcano for lethal lava land. No worries, it'll be done for the next friday update. Enjoy!

(I'd so edit the thread title to include the update but I can't seem to do that here, unless I'm missing something?)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
wow, excellent work.

When you're done, I would love it if you would work on Banjo-Kazooie in the same way, that is Mario 64's only real competition in the platform department.

Last edited:

Poobah

Is there any chance that you could make the red carpet throughout the castle, and the grass used in bob-omb battlefield smoother? The grass texture just contrasts with itself too much...it doesn't really suit the game's 'cartoony' feel, and the same with the red carpet.

TerraFrost

i think comparitive screenshots would be neat (ie. a screenshot of one scene with the high res. textures and one without) :)

regardless, the pics look good! :)

OP
cloudscapes

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
ScottJC: Thanks. I don't know if I want to do Banjo Kazooie though, as I don't really own the game. Also this type of full-game conversion is a lot of work. I did it for SP64 because that game has a close place to my heart. :) But I've never even played Banjo Kazooie before. I've seen screenshots though and it does indeed have a nice style!

Poobah: I find the red carpet to be perfectly fine as it is! After-all, the main perpose to upgrade textures is to add grain and detail. :) You may be right about the grass though, I may decide to tweak it.

Rice/optimus$prime/_pm_: heh, thanks! :p

spork9: You probably need the US rom of the game. Did you read the readme included with the plugin?

TerraFrost: Thanks. Yeah I might do that, it's just they take up so much space on the page here, especially if I want to include screenshots of most of the sections I worked on for that update.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
I was wondering if the background textures (i.e the stalagmites/stalagtites in the Bowser level, and in others), could be upgraded in hi-res? Is it not feasible for those textures? Well, I was just wondering about that possibility, saying as the default background textures look way too bland and pasty IMO.

OP
cloudscapes

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
dragon_rider: As noted in my readme file, I'll probably wait before I upgrade those, if I upgrade them at all! The problem is that most levels use so many textures for these backgrounds,almost as many as normal environment textures in some cases. Also, I wouldn't be able to use my time-saving tricks as much on them (like for grain and cracks). I'd have to go and repaint them (using the original undernieth as a template). It's possible, I've done that for other environment textures in the game (like the bowser puzzle tiles in lava land) but it's much more time-consuming. For the moment, I'll concentrate on the foreground where all the action happens.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Figured out how to make a texture load in the plugin, I took the number 6 and resized it to 400% of its original size (including the mask), then drew a line in it so i could tell the difference. now i intend to redraw it, if i can that is!

My art skills sux0r's ;)

Last edited: