What's new

Super Smash Bros Melee topic

Knuckles

I'm not usually the one that will make a thread only for one game, but I like this game and while still testing over the released version of dolwin, I found out some awesome stuff.

First of all, you already know about the patch I did to make the game to boot (US GALE version)

Next thing is while "trying" to find a fix for the bug where it hangs if you don't change language (like in dolphin) I noticed that I didn't changed it and it went ingame with no problem.... I tried again, no luck.... I played with the debugger to see if it was smth I jumped or anything, not luck again, I had some crashes tho.... Now the great thing, after playing with the CPU settings of Dolwin, I found the PERFECT settings, the game runs almost as fast as on dolphin (around 6fps) but it's REALLY stable!

-NO random crashes
-NO need to change language , means you can play and clear 1P modes.
-NO wrap from a place to another in the level

Now what you need to do:

-Be sure you have the US version of SSBM
-download and put the patch for the game in dolwin
link : http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=257633&postcount=5
-----If you have a GALE ID with another number than 74, just rename to patch to the number of your game, but IT MUST be the id GALE.
-modify your GAMES.INI to those:

Code:
[GALE74]
alttitle=Super Smash Brothers Melee (USA)
comment=Playable with patch (remove mem cards)
cf      = 8
delay   = 3
bailout = 2
//arenaLo = 0x80403100
//arenaHi = 0x81600000
//loadrun = data\SSBM.s
//lnfo    =

-remove BOTH memcards (otherwise the game won't start at all)
-start the game

Now you should be able to play for the time you want. Here's an "accelerated" video (FRAPS 1.90) of ~3 mins of gameplay (for the real game)

codec: xvid
lenght: 2:56mins
resolution : 636x478 (yeah, weird, not 640x480 but close)
Size: 10.2MB

DOWNLOAD HERE

EDIT: sry for the places I pause or I don't move, I was talking on irc at the same time :p

enjoy!

Last edited:

txOjO

MDKEiToR
ufff! Impresionant!
It's the most advanced progress i can see in the last weeks :)
Thank's for the video.

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

UPDATE!

After some hard debugging on 2 computers, comparing games for missing CARD stuff, I managed to fully modify the .MAP file for SSBM and now, you can load/save on mem cards! :D The only problem found is the ingame timer not working (played time, power time, etc.) everything else works like a charm :)

see attached shots for proof and the map itself is attached too.

How to install:
simply extract the GALE74.MAP from the zip and put it in your dolwin/data/ directory, overwrite if it already exists.

WARNING!: I found a bug while testing (Posty reported a similar problem but I think that's that one I've got) the game won't load if all the 4 gamepads aren't enabled 9it will stay at a grey screen)!! You NEED to enable them all to boot the game, I dunno to what it's related but I'll prolly find a way to fix that one day. I'm not sure, but anyway, who cares, you can play like you want and save :) Even with 4 players! :)

SIDE NOTE: the image I have is shrinked, if by all I said you can't make it work, it's prolly why, just report, I will try to get it back and don't shrink it, then make back the patch and the map.

Last edited:

spyro32

SSBM and Kingdom Hearts fan
man thats some cool progress.to bad my ssbm id is GALP.oh well ill jus have 2 wait :bouncy: :whistling :saint:

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

I'll prolly try to get the PAL version too, I know most of your got it so I'll make one for that one too (if I find it of course).

Also, if anyone with the US version can test it, can you report if it's working or not plz?

_Chrono_

aka Chrono Archangel
Knuckles said:
I'll prolly try to get the PAL version too, I know most of your got it so I'll make one for that one too (if I find it of course).

Also, if anyone with the US version can test it, can you report if it's working or not plz?

ill test it out today :) nice job Knux :icecream:
how much time did it take you to fix all of the memcard instructions? lol

Federelli...i checked out GALP version but its weird. if knux doesnt have time, ill try to look deaper into it this weekend.

EDIT: Success!!! I got GALP to work! ill post patch soon. no need to enable all controllers for PAL version and Memcards work(me thinks) without any modifications to the .map file.

EDIT2: Ok here's the patch. For some unknown reason the C-stick is stcuk in the Down/Left position. Either the Digital or analog pad is also stuck in the Down (possibly Down/Left also) position. But still, the game is playable. No need to change language for it to go ingame. and...well thats it...

ohh yeah! it does take about a minute before it actually starts/displays something...its going threw code that i have no clue what it does. just let it run, and fter a while youll see either memcard screen or the green screen(intro video) which you can skip by pressing A or Start.
Also, use the same 8-3-2 settings

Last edited:
OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

good work, but you didn't have hard work to do :p

SSBM US was the main problem...

Last edited:

_Chrono_

aka Chrono Archangel
Knuckles said:
good work, but you didn't had hard work to do :p

SSBM US was the main problem...

indeed. basicly same skip as yours...(just finding it was a bit of a pain) but still :p

aniway i g2g, hope it works ofr others. tty tonight

Fool

Me
I can not play it on dolwin. I think I do everything correctly and I see only black screen all time. I have GALE version. HELP !!!

habieru

Knuckles Whats your GFx Settings?
I do all you said and when i choose a player, the game stop and video is 0.0

crazyd

I got one hell of a problem! every time I try to open this game, I get a Gekko CPU error with many many numbers! what should I do?
tnx!

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

omfgman said:
everytime u enter game u have to change language no matter wat ur current language is

it shouldn't, it works fine here without changing language (look at my video)

habieru

Knuckles said:
it shouldn't, it works fine here without changing language (look at my video)
Then,what´s the problem?
the game stops when i choose player or place(video 0.0).
P.D:You play fast (ftp?)

crazyd

crazyd said:
I got one hell of a problem! every time I try to open this game, I get a Gekko CPU error with many many numbers! what should I do?
tnx!
won't any one plz help me?? here is how it looks like:

Fool

Me
I had the same problem. Just download Dolwin again. do not use source !! It makes games don't work ! (for me)