Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SZS file format explained

Hi,

I've written a program that extracts all data from .szs files (found in supermariosunshine for example), get it with source and documentation from

http://www.amnoid.de/gc/szstools.zip

Post to this thread if you find out what's stored in all the files that are generated from the szs/rarc files :-) Some wild guesses by me:

.bmg: Messages/Subtitles. Contain lots of text.
    .bmd: 3d model data?? Contains "VTX1" blocks which could stand for "Vertex". However, most of these files are not too big. The "map/map" subdir of the szs files in "data/scene" contains a map.bmpd which is quite big (nearly always > 1mb), this could be the main level model.
    .jpa: Texture/Image??
    bmt: Material??

Bye,
    thakis

[edit: fixed link :-O ]
    Last edited by thakis; February 13th, 2005 at 19:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good Work, and Welcome to the EmuTalk Forums!

Just to let you know, the yaz0 compression in the SZS files is also used in the REL files on Wind Waker. I suppose it's highly possible that its been used in other games as well, just with different extensions!

Cheers,
    Fox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Status update

Hi,

I've managed to extract most of the texture data from the .bmd files (currently only s3tc1 compressed data is extracted, but most textures are in that format. It seems that the format byte has the same meaning as in .tpl files, so I hope I can extract the other formats soon, too). I will post an exe for it when I managed to extract the vertex/face data as well (it's stored in the .bmd files as well).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bmd texture extract tool

Hi,

here's a tool to extract textures from .bmd files:
    www.amnoid.de/gc/bmdview.zip
    (see included text file...)

Cheers,
    thakis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Status update (first mario level):

Master of the Emulation Flame MasterPhW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NICE! Really nice...
    The Future of Emulation: Emulate a High End Computer on a Low End System
    Main: Intel Core i7 (Lynnfiled) 860 (@3.802Ghz) | 8 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI XFX HD 5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device | 256 GB SSD + 3 TB Internal SATA2 + 4 TB external | Windows 7 Professional X64 SP1 MSDNAA
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015PEM | Intel Atom Dual Core N550 (1,5GHz) | 2GB DDR3-1066 | Intel GMA 3150 | 250GB HDD | Win 7 Starter
    Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As you can see, tristrip loading kinda works now, too. I managed to decode which kind of data is stored in the model (colors, texcoords, normals, ...), but the viewer has not yet been updated to use this additional information, so the tris are grey...

Things still missing:
    - I don't know how many normals/texcoords/colors are stored in the file. I could let the program count them, but it's gotta be stored somewhere in this file as well...
    - There are different kinds of tristrips in a single model: some tris have only normals while others have normals and texture coords. I don't know at which boundaries tristrip types change - so only the first "type" is displayed right now (that's why not the whole scene below is triangulated).

I'll take a creative break tomorrow, I hope I'm able to display textured, lighted and colorful models this weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dude, this progress is amazing, excellent work!

I know this maybe a stupid question, but would there be any possiblity of a guide to reverse-engineering file formats? I would love to help you out, but I've only ever reverse-engineered settings files (e.g. DAT files) so this is VERY different!

Cheers,
    Fox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hm, basically I open a file in a hex editor, look at it until I see what some of the bytes could mean, write a little program to test it my assumptions work, and if it works for about 5 different files I assume that my guess was right and I move on to the next block.

When I've finished decoding the vertex data, I'll post a document that describes the .bmd format and another one that describes which of the files helped me most to understand the format and what I learned from which file. Hopefully this weekend... :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds great! Remembers me of Sanik, he was hacking the Sonic Adventure models.

Well, good luck.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast