What's new

SZS file format explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
thakis

thakis

Here's an updated viewer. It should now support the thp files which were previously reported not to work, and .mth files should work as well. I hope there are no regressions...get it here:
www.amnoid.de/gc/thpplay1.1.zip

Knuckles reported that this version plays back videos too slow but the old version had this problem as well (I guess that is because the windows timer has a resolution of only 18 millisecs and my timing code is not very clever [= not existent]).

I've been looking at sound support, but not much progress until now...

OP
thakis

thakis

This is the collision data of the first level (note the big wall around the level...). Collision data is stored in .col files (no big surprise :p ). If anyone is interested I can upload a viewer for the collision data (about 200 lines if you don't count the framework stuff).

Ninjaro

some shots from mario kart DD :bouncy: incredible program :w00t: :)

Mario Party 6 Works :)

Last edited:
OP
thakis

thakis

This shows different collision groups in different colors. I don't know (yet) what the different groups are used for, I guess they have different collision behaviours associated with them (unk2 = 0x0800 probably means "start falling" for example)...

oh, and btw, please don't post more than 2 screenies of one video if it's working alright...they produce so much scrolldown :saint:

Last edited:
OP
thakis

thakis

One of the more boring status reports: I extracted the movie subtitles (and all other strings in the game...again some in japanese, but only a few), here's the text to openinga.thp (the numbers above the strings are: offset of string in data block, start frame and end frame of text in hex, type flag, start and end frame of text in dec):

Read INF1
unk: 10100, node size c, 9 strings
1 262 29e 45000000 (610, 670)
"What happened?"

10 3b6 401 45000000 (950, 1025)
"What's this icky, paint-like goop?"

33 404 427 45000000 (1028, 1063)
"It's...moving!"

42 42b 45f 45000000 (1067, 1119)
"Now now, boys! Don't touch that stuff!"

69 5ba 5f1 45000000 (1466, 1521)
"Um, excuse me, but.."

7e 6ba 6dd 45000000 (1722, 1757)
"I am most concerned with the "

9c 6dd 73a 45000000 (1757, 1850)
"well-being of the princess in
this dreadful heat."

cf 73f 755 45000000 (1855, 1877)
"Master Mario, if you would, "

ec 758 7bc 45000000 (1880, 1980)
"cross over to that shore and find
some assistance.

"

Read DAT1

Not too interesting...but easy to do ;)

OP
thakis

thakis

I'm currently working on the font files (.bfn)...a lot remains to be done, but I already have the image data of one of the fonts :sorcerer:

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
You on a mission to disassemble every single Gamecube file for us to view/understand? XD

Btw, nice work ;) Keep it up. Maybe some of these findings will help gamecube emulators progress, who knows XD

dagush

Col information...

Dear Thakis:
being a programer myself, I would love to be able to study a little how they did the collision detection stuff, so I think your colored viewer could be quite interesting... could you post it?
BTW, how's the geometry/animation/texturing part going? It's been a few days since you said you almost had it...

thanks and congrats on your GREAT WORK!!!!

dagush.-

OP
thakis

thakis

The colviewer is attached. Controls:
w - wireframe
d - show some info for each tri

uiojkl - rotate view

arrows and pageup/down - move
shift/control - move faster/slower
enter - "pause"
Will only work if you associate the program with .col files (or drop a .col file on the exe).
To access the .col files, you have to deyaz0/derarc the szs files (see one of my first posts on this thread on how to do that).
Tell me if you have an idea what all the unknown numbers could mean ;)

Lomax

I think I have an idea about the collision groups - they may be a way of limiting where the enemies can go. From what I can remember, the enemies in that level stick mostly to the grey area, they may chase Mario into a green area, but won't go into the red...

OP
thakis

thakis

.blo files store layout information for ui elements (the images used in the ui are stored in .bti files, and sometimes .blo files reference fonts in .bfn files). Here's a work in progress shot of the main hud:

(edit: lomax: sounds like a good idea :canadian: )

Last edited:
OP
thakis

thakis

I got ZeldaWW yesterday :sp_canada: , and quite a lot of files are identical to supermariosunshine files. The global file layout system is a bit different, though: In sms, there are a few yaz0-compressed szs files which contain rarc archieves. In zww, there are a lot of different files, but every one of them may be yaz0 compressed. Zelda's .arc files are rarc archieves (can be unpacked with my rarc unpacker at the start of the thread) (but they may be yaz0 compressed, just like every other zelda file). Zelda's models use a file format that's (almost?) identical to Mario's, but the file extension is .bdl instead of .bmd for some files. bti (image), bmg (messages), jpa (particles) and blo (screen ui layout) are used by both games, but in Zelda some of these files are yaz0 compressed. Zelda uses palettized images, mario does not use them (if you're familiar with yagcd: zelda uses all formats, mario doesn't use formats 6, 8, 9 and 10 [is there a format 7 btw??] - see tpl description in yagcd). Here's a shot of link and his walk animation (you can see that my material support sux by looking at his eyes ;) ).

yaz0r

thakis said:
you can see that my material support sux by looking at his eyes ;).

The eyes are very tricky and are rendered in multi-pass, especially to have them beeing draw "on top" of the hair (check in game to see what I mean).

Status
Not open for further replies.