What's new

Project64 cannot synchronize audio to video for any rom on my two fast computers why?

synchronic64

Dear EMUTALK Forum Members,

Hello!, I am at the end of my rope here in getting audio and video to syncronize in Project64 v1.5+SP1.

I have every rom under the sun for Nitendo 64 that I downloaded in a 25GB Torrent file which got me suspended for a week for going over my monthly limit.

I spent over $200USD on ebay for a Nintendo 64 Collection of real games for myself over the past 6 months.

If I compare any real game to one being emulated in Project64, the audio is off by a second or two for all roms on both of my powerful computers. *I mean power *9800Pro card/6800GT 3200+/3800+ cpu. Sound blaster Audigy 2 and nforce2 soundstorm cards. no lack of perfection in hardware here! :devil:

From Mario Kart 64 Rom to San Fancisco Rush Extreme Racing, sound delays, you will know what I am talking about if you go into the menu and move up and down you will hear a delay in sound *easiest way to tell * or your driving and hit something then hear the sound 1-2 seconds later :yucky:. To Goldeneye 007 gun firing with a delay that you can tell when playing the real game side by side.

I am sad to find out this is how emulating is with Nintendo 64 roms. I spent $60 for two adaptoids last week too :blush:. Now I feel stupid for wasting the money and my time for getting these roms but I really wanted the better resolution in games and I still do but if the audio is not going to be in sync with video I will have to go back to my console and put up with the poor resolutions.

I am getting a steady 60FPS*NTSC and 50FPS*PAL when running my games in low-high resolution. I turn on/off *sync audio to game* but that does absolutly no good.

Unless somebody here specifically knows what I am talking about by sitting down and testing the delay in audio in roms please do not comment on this as you may be fooled other wise in some games like Goldeneye 007 and Conkers where it can be very hard to tell whether your audio is in sync, though if you own the real game you will be able to test them side by side and come to a good conclusion.

Conclusion:

Case in point- Audio trails video in Project64 Emulator on two different Powerful computer configurations with sync to audio option on or off.

Anyone with experience fixing audio synchronization problems please give me hand, it would mean the world to me thank you dearly.

EDIT: *note* Both of my computers are using 74GB Western Digital Raptor 4.2MS Access time Hard Drives freshly defragged with steady Transfer rates of 70MB/s+. Computers have been burned in to ensure stability and run through numberous 3d benchmark runs and neither system is overclocked. I run windows XP SP2, Norton Antivirus and windows stock firewall. I also have Adaware which I use to scan my computer with once in awhile.

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

Last edited:

loopsider

I did have that for some games, which I just used Sync game to audio. I get no delay so try different sound plugins as well. There is a regular delay of about 100 ms, but I believe you get that on a regular n64 as well.

OP
S

synchronic64

Dear Loopsider,

Hi, I tried that already, switching to the other audio plugin included (Zilmar's audio plugin) but there was still the same synchronization problems.

loopsider said:
but I believe you get that on a regular n64 as well.
Please reframe from posting unless you know for a fact what the real game is like compared to the emulated rom for synchronization. :whistling :saint:

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

OP
S

synchronic64

Dear smd4420,

Hi, You bet I did, I tried;

-UltraHLE *requires a 3dfx card, so it was a no go.

-1964 *corrupt video images in all games, so it was a no go.

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

Allnatural

Most (if not all) audio plugins buffer the audio. That's where your delay is coming from. Some plugins allow you to adjust the buffer, but I doubt you'll ever get it low enough to completely remove the delay.

OP
S

synchronic64

Dear Allnatural,

Hi,

Allnatural said:
I doubt you'll ever get it low enough to completely remove the delay.

Perhaps you are right :blush: I was surfing the internet and found Azimer's Audio HLE Audio 0.30 Rev 2.2 and it is much more synchronized but it is not perfect but when compared to Jabo's audio plugin's 1-2 second delay Azimer's gives a 300-500ms delay when on the lowest buffer possible, which is better but not quite to my liking :plain:.

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

Trotterwatch

synchronic64 said:
Dear smd4420,

Hi, You bet I did, I tried;

-UltraHLE *requires a 3dfx card, so it was a no go.

-1964 *corrupt video images in all games, so it was a no go.

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

UltraHLE will work with a wrapper.
1964 will work fine if you swap the graphics plugin for another

Whether those will fix your problem remains to be seen.

OP
S

synchronic64

Dear Trotterwatch,

Hi,

Trotterwatch said:
UltraHLE will work with a wrapper.
1964 will work fine if you swap the graphics plugin for another

Whether those will fix your problem remains to be seen.
I knew that about a wrapper but I was lost when trying to find one for my 9800 Pro video card. Can you help me locate a wrapper please?

I will try 1964 with Jabo's video plugin if possible. Seeing as Project64 lowers my Frame Rate from 60FPS to 40-45 when using the sync audio to game feature of Azimer's Audio HLE Audio but perhaps it drops the frame rate to sync the audio up:ala:.

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

The wrapper is included with the download of Glide64 - it is in a seperate directory in the .rar archive.

http://www.emuxhaven.net/~glide64/

Things you may wish to try btw, is change the CF to 1, sync game to audio and enable the frame limiter.

Just been testing Mario Kart on PJ64 side by side with it on the actual system - I didn't notice any audio discrepancies between the two. Will dig out Goldeneye tomorrow to test.

San Franciso Rush did sound like there was a very slight delay though - certainly not in the 300-500ms range though.

gandalf

Member ready to help
Hey man! you spent a lot of money to play perfectly any N64 game, and you are complaining about the sound that delays "A LOT"?!?!?!?!?!?!.
The sound only delays 0.30 seconds i notice that.
I´m happy with this emulator and this great sound plug-in and both aren´t PERFECT.
The emulation is very hard, specially with N64 that took a lot of time of every autor of any emulator,and they make an great job.
So, play games with pj64 and enjoy.
HF

Knuckles

Just use Azimer's LLE audio 0.50.2Beta

It works for most normal games, don't use it for games like Perfect Dark or Conker BFD. the plugin was made to be the most sync with the game possible. the ONLY problem is the reversed stereo (azimer works with inversed speakers).

Last edited:
OP
S

synchronic64

Dear Knuckles,

Hi, Can you post a link to that audio plugin, I have been scouring the internet for the past couple days without success please? :bouncy:

Or if you wish you can send me the plugin to my email account! [email protected]

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

Last edited:

Knuckles

dear synchronic64,

hi, I think you should stop posting that way. it's kinda annoying for most people, please use the normal way to post, this isn't a place to send letters to people.

Yours Truly,
Knuckles.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
What exactly is the big deal here? Emulation is not a perfect thing, its perfectly normal for there to be differences between that and the real thing.

If you are being picky with sound, you're in for a shock when it comes to video plugins, there are many games that do not run perfectly with that, there are few that have perfect emulated graphics, in fact even the simplest of games (Mario 64) has small graphics missing from almost every graphics plugin available.

The painting transition for one, and the warp effect in the first world. I can't really name one that doesn't have a video issue.

You should really have done some research before going off and purchasing equipment, it is quite frankly, your own fault if you are disappointed.

That and the Letters thing like others have pointed out is not suitable at all for web based forums such as this, knock it off.

Trotterwatch

Dear Mr Super Clever

If you look at his first post he states he has spent a lot of money on an N64, but wanted more than perfection so embarked upon his long and traumatic journey through the land of Emulation. Once there he found that the grass wasn't quite as green as he had imagined it. It was then he chanced upon this forum in the mistaken belief that we gave a shit :p

Yours lovingly,
TrotterW

loopsider

synchronic64 said:
Dear Loopsider,

Hi, I tried that already, switching to the other audio plugin included (Zilmar's audio plugin) but there was still the same synchronization problems.

Please reframe from posting unless you know for a fact what the real game is like compared to the emulated rom for synchronization. :whistling :saint:

Yours Truly,
Jason.(synchronic64)

I will "reframe" (refrain) only when I for a fact dont know something. I remember playing zelda on the 64 and slashing the sword and hearing a delay from the sound and the action. As well as playing the ocarina. Therefore I know what the real game is like and there is no use in me "reframing".

Clements

<p align="right">6th February, 2005</p align>
Dear synchronic64,

I also noticed the slight delay when using Jabo's Audio plugin. It doesn't bother me, but I found that by using Azimer's Audio 0.40 Beta 2 with the settings pictured below, the delay was gone.

Yours Faithfully,

<font size="+6"><i>Clements</i></size>

Last edited: