What's new

Glide64 WIP status update :)

OP
ggab

ggab

Emutalk Member
Gonetz wrote:
More RE2 WIP screens. This is what you have been waiting for years (call me genius, if you want ;) )

1. Conker's Bonus sshot (Glide Power! :) )
2. F-Zero : Awesome!
3&4. and Mpeg decompression is working! Gonetz, u rock man! :p

PS (answer): Yes, with N64 & Glide you're a true Genius :D

Last edited:
OP
ggab

ggab

Emutalk Member
1 & 2- The Peach/Bowser portrait's transition
3- Paper Mario, one special effect

rcgamer

the old guy
wow, he's really on a roll. just wish that hardware framebuffer was working for non voodoo(wrapper needed) cards. or that gonetz would move to opengl or dx.

OP
ggab

ggab

Emutalk Member
@rcgamer:
good news to non-3dfx users

Another good (openGL) wrapper to try:
zeckensack wrote:
I've just released version 0.82b of my Glide wrapper, and it now works reasonably well with Glide64 07me SP8. There:
http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

Things to note:
1)"Thread policy" should be set to "use render thread" for PJ64&1964/Glide64. This is already incorporated into the premade config, so if you install that, you're set.
2)The fullscreen toggle is still broken. The (all black) render window will stay on screen. F12 or F4 (End emulation key) works properly.
3)The wrapper doesn't support multitexturing atm. Some effects will be missing or glitchy (e.g. Zelda:OoT flames, sky, ground detail textures etc).

Hope you like it :)
Motion blur & some framebuffer effects works:

rcgamer

the old guy
ggab said:
@rcgamer:
good news to non-3dfx users

Another good (openGL) wrapper to try:

Motion blur & some framebuffer effects works:

yeah i knew about that wrapper for a long time now. I actually posted about it in glide forums before zeck came around to post. it still doesnt have very good framebuffer support yet. yet.

Last edited:
OP
ggab

ggab

Emutalk Member
1 & 2 & 3- Gonetz has added possibility to watch video in its native resolution, without quality loss.
4- New fog implementation for a lot of games. (F-Zero for example).

PS: Amazing ;)

rcgamer

the old guy
Emu_Lover said:
Excuse me rcgamer but what exactly does framebuffering do? Sorry I'm sort of clueless with this technical stuff. :p

someone with far more knowledge than me can explain the technical aspect. all i know (and all i need to know) is that it is needed to create many of the effects that are missing in the plugins we have now. the effects can be motion blur, shadows , the puzzle pieces you should see when you start a game in banjo, reflections, etc.

rices plugin does have the capability but the performance hit is pretty bad when you have to use settings like write back every frame.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
aprentice said:
nice, are there plans in the future to port this plugin to another api? :p
Indeed, as olivier said, the wrappers should do the work. Gonetz has released no plans to port glide64 to another api. And I actually doubt he's going to do it anyway.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
rcgamer said:
someone with far more knowledge than me can explain the technical aspect. all i know (and all i need to know) is that it is needed to create many of the effects that are missing in the plugins we have now. the effects can be motion blur, shadows , the puzzle pieces you should see when you start a game in banjo, reflections, etc.

rices plugin does have the capability but the performance hit is pretty bad when you have to use settings like write back every frame.
A framebuffer does exactly what the word says. It saves frames (graphics). N64 saves frames in order to make them appear without the need of re-creating them. Due to the different way that the PC works this process cannot be emulated fast through software (where the "frames" are saved in/loaded from the main RAM of the computer). If the "frames" are saved in/loaded from the RAM of the video card (hardware framebuffer) then the "frame saving and loading" proccess is much faster but it may lead to other problems.
Since my knowledge on how the N64 framebuffer works is very limited (this means that I don't know xD) I'm not able to give more detailed info. An author of a video plugin is the best person to ask for this kind of information :)

EDIT: Yes, it was in the manual (I've never read it). The rest of my post is useless unless you want to learn the very basics of what a framebuffer is.

Last edited:

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Emu_Lover said:
Excuse me rcgamer but what exactly does framebuffering do? Sorry I'm sort of clueless with this technical stuff. :p
RTFM. For example, Glide64 readme.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
aprentice said:
nice, are there plans in the future to port this plugin to another api? :p
Sure, it is planned to do. I did few steps in this direction. However, currently I have no personal motivation to do this job, so it has lowest priority.