What's new

Week 3: Still not working. HELP!!!

Final_Badass

Magic Knight Rayearth fan
It's been three weeks since I've gotten Magic Knight Rayearth (Bin/cue/iso) for Sega Saturn now, and I have been slaving at the computer with no results.

All I want to do is play the damn game! Why won't it work!?! AAAAHHH!!

Well, so far, I've done this:
-Recieved Magic Knight Rayearth in bin/cue form
-Gotten both GiriGiri and Cassini (Seperately, then together). I use them to play the game... or what appears to be playing the game
-Gotten the BIOS
-Tried Satourne, Saturnin, Yabuse, SSF, Hyperion, SSE, and A-Saturn. They don't work... at least for what I want to use them for...
-Installed Daemon tools and 120%Alcohol (And used them correctly)
-Read these forums (And found absolutely no help)
-Tried converting the bin and cue to an Iso, but that only makes it worse.
-Tried mounting the iso to a virtual drive

The game opens up alright, and the english intro plays. After that, the speakers blurt out some static for a split second, and that's it. I find myself banging my head against the monitor for 10 minutes hoping for SOMETHING... ANYTHING to show up, but I get nothing but a whole lot of blank screen. Why must it toy with me!?

Please help me. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! :happy: Thanks in advance!

rcgamer

the old guy
well depending on where you got it from it could be corruption(dont say where you got it because it is against forum rules.)
there is a program called cdmage that will check iso(or bin /cues cant remember wich one it supports.) for corruption.

also have you checked to make sure the game is supported by the emulators?

OP
Final_Badass

Final_Badass

First and foremost, thank you for helping me.

I used Cdmage to scan my Bin/Cue file for corruption and it's clean.

Secondly, I've already looked for the games Cassini/GiriGiri can support, and Magic Knight Rayearth is supported.

Any other Suggestions?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
When you run the game on GiriGiri does it start or you get an error or something?

Pumster

Well, I agree that it's hard to actually get these ROMs and Emulators to work correctly, but rest assured, they (eventually) play the games. I'd recommend buying the actual CD of the game and creating your own BIN/CUE in CDRWIN. After all, having a "clean" BIN/CUE file doesn't mean the files actually contain the game. In addition, it feels much better to know you've always got a hard copy. Since Magic Knight Rayearth isn't as popular as some of the other rare Saturn titles, you could probably get it for about $10-20.
If you don't want to spend money, try investigating more with the emulator and BIN/CUE. Personally, I prefer using Giri-Giri Gav and "gentoc.exe" (Downloaded separately.) to get the BIN/CUE's working. Also, take RCGamer's advice and check an available compatibility list. (Cassini's is pretty close, if not identical, to Giri-Giri Gav's.)
By the way, is the BIN/CUE for the US or Japanese version of the game? (Assuming there is a US version - I'm not familiar with this series.)

OP
Final_Badass

Final_Badass

To Psyman:

Nope. I used to get a "Disc is unsuitable for system" error on the Saturn music disc screen, but after experimenting with it a little, I got the intro to play. Besides that, I don't get any errors that I am informed of (Blank screen) Just so you know, the "classic" blue sega logo comes up before the intro movie.

To Pumster:

Yeah, you're right about the stuff you said, but I'm not going to spend $10-20 on something that I will probably (and hopefully) get to work. (Sigh) I probably should just buy the damn game. Only problem is: I'm only 16, and I've got no credit cards. My parents aren't going to buy if for me (even though I say I'm going to pay them... with interest...) and my older brother is a biatch!! Man, I hate him. Anywho, regarding the region, it's US. I know because I use G-saturn tool (or something like that) and it tells me so... also, what's GiriGiri gav?

Any other suggestions..? Anyone..?

OP
Final_Badass

Final_Badass

Oh, yeah... in case I somehow convince someone to get me the game, can anybody tell me where to buy the actual cd of Magic Knight Rayearth? (for Sega Saturn, in case anyone's wondering)

But that doesn't mean I still don't need help getting the one that's on my computer to work! ...thanks.

OP
Final_Badass

Final_Badass

... and I would also like the price to be low. (Sorry for all these posts) I'm sure I'll decide to say something else 2-3 minutes later.

Pumster

Hahaha, good job with the quadruple posting - Next time, though, you should use this:
edit.gif

However, I don't think it matters - EmuTalk has lost most of its fanbase so very little happens here these days. :down:
Anyway, I highly recommend eBay or Half.com to find a copy of the game. Maybe you can convince your parents to create an account on one of the two sites so you can bid on one. (Read the title and description carefully before bidding or buying, my friend.) Other than that, I have no idea where you could get a copy of the game. Even places like GameStop don't bother with obscure consoles like Saturn or Sega CD. (But they'll charge you $60 USD for games like Shining Force II.) I've dealt with ROM's, ISO's, etc. and I've found that people don't always make the most stable copies of their games when they're planning on putting them on the Internet. In addition, bigger games, such as GameCube or PS2 titles, are almost guaranteed to be faulty downloads. (Especially CD-Based games.) That's why I recommend buying a hard copy, but, again, make sure your emulator supports the game before you spend any money.
Giri-Giri Gav is, supposedly, the original version of Giri-Giri before it was modified into Cassini. Personally, I think Giri-Giri Gav makes it slightly easier to load up games than some of the alternatives.

OP
Final_Badass

Final_Badass

I need to pay attention more. Thanks for that whole editing bit. Also, My brother (who, if you were paying attention, is a biatch), has an ebay account, but won't let me bid with my own goddam money. Anywho, I'll try half.com tommorow, and I'll get back to you guys with more info.

The smilie says it all: :yawn:

OP
Final_Badass

Final_Badass

It wasn't on Half.com. It was on ebay, though. Only problem is- they are only holding auctions for the japanese version of the game. Why would I want a japanese version?

Anyway, more suggestions on how to get the Bin/Cue game to work, or where to get the Magic Knight Rayearth (english version) at a cheap price will be greatly appreciated :happy:

1-15-04 10:12 PM Update:

You know, with all due respect, I'm not talking to myself...
(Getting frustrated)

1-16-04 9:54 PM Update:

I'm going into the 4th week...:cry:

Don't tell me that nobody's helping me because of my signature...
(Sigh) Sorry... It's just that I'm not getting any less frustrated.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
If I remember right there is only a Japaneese version of the game.
You may be able to make it run if you change the settings of the game from the "games.dat" file which is placed in the same directory as GiriGiri. The setting that affects compatibility most is "vsync" but you should also try changing the others.
For more info on how to edit the file visit this thread: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=20550

If you still cannot make the game run it may be because of a "bad" ISO image or the emulator may not be able to run it.

PS: It's nothing wrong with your signature but you should avoid making more than one post if no one replied to you (use the edit button as you did on your last post).

OP
Final_Badass

Final_Badass

Here's the thing- It was nearly impossible to get the copy I have now. I had to search for 5 straight hours. It's like Pumster mentioned: I should get a hard copy of the game at e-bay. E-bay is holding auctions for the japanese version of Magic Knight Rayearth, but what if what you said doesn't work? I'll be $8 dollars poorer. I know it's not that much, but I don't want to risk that much money on something that has such a low chance of working. And by working, I mean working in English. I also found auctions for the english version, but they all have alot of time left, and they've got 4+ bids on them. I don't have a very good chance of winning them with the money that I'm willing to spend ($15.00).

Also, the thing you said about changing the vsync... it's pretty hard to change it when you can't even find the game there. More than half of the listed games are in what I think is japanese. I know the game is supported, because Magic Knight Rayearth is listed in the compatible games list on GiriGiri's website (when it was still up).

Suggestions, anyone..? :huh:

11:04 PM 1-18 Update:

... I'll check back in a week... :getlost:

7:20 AM 2-5 Update:

Go here:
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?p=257112#post257112

Last edited: