What's new

Problem running the emulator, systematic crash

totatis

Hi all,

I've tried unsuccessfully to run the emulator. I have followed the FAQ, installed the linked ASAPI drivers, upgraded my graphic drivers, but the emulator always crash with the following message "Instruction at 0x00000000 uses memory address 0x00000000. Memory can't be read." as soon as I use the "Run" command.

Here is my configuration :
Bi-Athlon 1900
512 mb ECC registred
Daemon Tools 3.41
ASAPI Drivers downloaded from link in the FAQ
ATI Radeon 8500 with latest drivers from www.ati.com
Windows 2000
DirectX 9.0b

I've tried several games, the utopia boot disks, to no avail, I always get the same crash. I've also tried several bios, no change. Before installing the ASAPI drivers I got the can't read TOC message, since installing ASAPI I get this crash. Note that the machine doesn't have any real CD or DVD drives, could that be the reason ?

I would be very grateful if somone could point to me to a possible solution to this problem, or could give me hints on what's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

OP
T

totatis

Herecles said:
You could try using the latest version of daemon tools. I use 3.47 and it works perfectly for me.

Just tried that, no change, i still get the same error. Thanks anyway.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
This is a quite weird problem...
The error that you've got usualy means that there is something wrong with your RAM. Try to remove the RAM DIMMs from your mainboard and place them again or even try other RAM DIMMs. You could also try to set the RAM clock speeds lower from the BIOS configuration of your mainboard.

OP
T

totatis

PsyMan said:
This is a quite weird problem...
The error that you've got usualy means that there is something wrong with your RAM. Try to remove the RAM DIMMs from your mainboard and place them again or even try other RAM DIMMs. You could also try to set the RAM clock speeds lower from the BIOS configuration of your mainboard.

My RAM is registred ECC, so it can't be the problem. And the PC is rock solid. Furthermore, the crash is systematic, always at the same time. Bad RAM would induce random crashes.
I don't know what is causing the crash, but it can't be the RAM.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Make sure sure that you don't have any custom IDE drivers installed (they are usually bundled with the mainboard drivers) and that you're not running any other programs together with the emulator (some taskbar utilities may also cause problems).

If this doesn't help then there might be a bug with the emulator. You may also want to post a screenshot of the directory where you have the emulator (it may be helpfull).

OP
T

totatis

PsyMan said:
Make sure sure that you don't have any custom IDE drivers installed (they are usually bundled with the mainboard drivers) and that you're not running any other programs together with the emulator (some taskbar utilities may also cause problems).

Standard IDE drivers, and I started the prog at boot after being sure no prog was loaded.

PsyMan said:
If this doesn't help then there might be a bug with the emulator. You may also want to post a screenshot of the directory where you have the emulator (it may be helpfull).

Screenshot attached.

Thanks for you answers.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Make sure that you have the latest service pack for Windows 2000, if you already have it or the problem occurs even after installing it then it's probably a bug with the emulator and I don't know if there is a way to fix it :\
There is a possibility that your RAM has to do with it (even if the RAM is not responsible for the problem) so tweaking some RAM settings by using a memory management program or by changing some BIOS settings may help you fix it.
Last (but not least), even registered RAM may have integrity problems (very rarely). I recommend using a utility to make sure that it's not faulty (just to make sure).

Last edited:
OP
T

totatis

I have the lastest service pack. I've tested my RAM, it's ok, no problem here.

More and more it looks like a bug/incompatibilty with the emulator. I've followed every doc/faq on chankcast I saw, my system is ok, lastest version of everything, no luck.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
generalplot said:
If the latency on your RAM isn't low enough, then I can imgaine that it might cause this problem.

Where'd you hear that crock of crap.. do you have any idea what you're talking about?

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
cooliscool said:
Where'd you hear that crock of crap.. do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Uh, gee. You've never heard that latency time can be an issue on system demanding apps retard?

OP
T

totatis

So, does someone have any idea on what I could try to get the emulator to work ? It does work on some of my friend's machines, and I'd kill to get my hands back on Soulcalibur :)

If there's anything I can do to test where the bug comes from, I'll gladly do. Thanks in advance.