What's new

the plural of info is info

Smiff

Emutalk Member
this really gets on my tits, right.

the plural of sheep is sheep, it is not "sheeps"
the plural of info is still info, it is not "infos"

If i stop one person doing this, this was worth it.

"Ooh, look at that field full of sheeps". You're all sheep dammit.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
anyway i gave a bad example, the reason is that information is already plural... you cannot have one information. I think it's possible to have one sheep (Martin would know ;)

Remote

Spelling is notoriously bad in this gathering of big and small minds, and it is getting worse. From the back of my hand I call recall a small number of posts written by different people who obviously deserves a rundown, preberdly by someone well hung...

Since English is considered by most people, including me, to be the universal language we should all take use of it, when all other languages, native tougue is not counted for, fail to make a point, English clearly provens itself, it is easily learned, easily spoken and less but not last, easily written.

/me slaps people who have made bad spelling a habit, a bad one I might add

Martin

Administrator
Smiff said:
anyway i gave a bad example, the reason is that information is already plural... you cannot have one information. I think it's possible to have one sheep (Martin would know ;)

Fishes? ;)

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Actually I once looked this one up in my dictionary, and it's correct! The plural of fish is either fish or fishes

Duh, haven`t you people ever seen "The Godfather"?
/Marlon_Brando mode
"Tonight, he sleeps with the fishes"
/Marlon_Brando mode

Martin

Administrator
Slougi said:

Actually I once looked this one up in my dictionary, and it's correct! The plural of fish is either fish or fishes :p

Of course, that was my point. :p

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Remote said:

Since English is considered by most people, including me, to be the universal language we should all take use of it, when all other languages, native tougue is not counted for, fail to make a point, English clearly provens itself, it is easily learned, easily spoken and less but not last, easily written.

Easily learnt? English would have to be one of the most difficult languages to learn, because it is just so damn inconsistent.

Remote

Raging Fuel said:

Easily learnt? English would have to be one of the most difficult languages to learn, because it is just so damn inconsistent.

You are right and wrong, gramatically and fonetically english is easy to learn in the same way Super Mario Brothers for NES is easily beaten. You may not do it the first times but when you get a hang of you can do it with little or no trouble over and over again.

Chineese and russian are far more complex languages both fonetically and gramatically. African languages are also harder to learn, eventhough the colonial age has left it´s tracks on their language, where french and english has had the largest impact.

Inconsistienceses? Perhaps an example or two could point me in the right direction...

hotshitu

Banned
Smiff said:
this really gets on my tits, right.

the plural of sheep is sheep, it is not "sheeps"
the plural of info is still info, it is not "infos"

If i stop one person doing this, this was worth it.

"Ooh, look at that field full of sheeps". You're all sheep dammit.

Incidentally, English is one of the few languages where information is considered a pluraletantum.
So it's a venial sin unless the perpertrator is a native speaker of course.

hotshitu

Banned
Remote said:

/me slaps people who have made bad spelling a habit, a bad one I might add

Hmm. Guess whose post contains more than ten spelling errors. A single post. This very thread.
Have fun slapping yourself (monkey-slapping doesn't count)

hotshitu

Banned
Remote said:

You are right and wrong, gramatically and fonetically english is easy to learn in the same way Super Mario Brothers for NES is easily beaten. You may not do it the first times but when you get a hang of you can do it with little or no trouble over and over again.

Chineese and russian are far more complex languages both fonetically and gramatically.

Inconsistienceses? Perhaps an example or two could point me in the right direction...

Whoever told you Russian is more complex than, say, French or Italian, didn't know what they're talking about. Can't vouch for Chinese, though ;)

Inconsistencies. Hmm. Read the preface to GBS's Pygmalion. Have a good laugh. (for the illiterate: My Fair Lady is _not_ adequate ;) )

Regards,
hotshitu
who prides himself on reading 11 Western languages, 6 of which he speaks fluently, tho none perfectly ;)

Remote

hotshitu said:

Hmm. Guess whose post contains more than ten spelling errors. A single post. This very thread.
Have fun slapping yourself (monkey-slapping doesn't count)

Since when is a mere ten spelling errors considered to be bad english, and of course monkey-slapping does not count, it never did, it never will.

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Inconsistencies? Well this may not be the best example because I just pulled these out of my head, but take the words bough, thorough and through. You would assume they all sound the same because they end with the same suffix. What about spelling 'ei' or 'ie' in a word. Most that speak english have probably heard the little rhyme ''I' before 'E', except after 'C''. Well what about weight? (There are more, just can't think of them off the top of my head)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Re: Re: the plural of info is info

hotshitu said:

Incidentally, English is one of the few languages where information is considered a pluraletantum.
So it's a venial sin unless the perpertrator is a native speaker of course.

thank you hotshitu (or should I say: hot-shit-u? with a dozen languages ;)) - most enlightening.