What's new

gCube Front-End for 0.3

MGFox

The Quiet One!
gCubeFront is back!

The original was downloaded 42 times and not one person left any feedback :huh: ...ah well, who cares, the 42 of you who did download it, I hope it worked and you enjoyed it!

As most of you will know gCube 0.3 was released recently, and it now has more options on the command line to allow greater control and compatability of the emulation. I have updated gCubeFront to incorporate these options (and a few other minor fixes) and figured i'd give it to you guys again.

You can find the new options in the "Advanced Options" window. Please be aware that the Refresh Delay box should only contain a numeric value, although the gCubeFront will accept...well...anything, gCube itself WILL NOT, I will create a check for it if people tell me they want one otherwise I'll assume you're all happy!

Run it in the directory with gCube.exe and enjoy!

Cheers,
Fox

P.S. If you do download it, please some sort of feedback!

EDIT: Attached v0.3R2, When Removed v0.3 had 385 Downloads
EDIT 2: Attached v0.3R3, with NEW Browser Interface

Last edited:

JinXD

w00t!! Ain't tested it yet (not at home), i'll leave feedback when I do!

edit: I've posted this over at Emu-Boards (official forum) linking to here, hope you don't mind! ;)

Last edited:
OP
MGFox

MGFox

The Quiet One!
Don't mind at all, I collaborated with monk on the first gCubeFront...ain't told him about this one yet though as I only added made the changes this morning :whistling !

Cheers,
Fox

JinXD

A problem I've run into:

I'm not sure what the mount directory function is for, but the way I used it was to mount the directory where my games are stored (g:\...) then in the "Insert Gamecube File path here..." text box, type in the game file name. However, when I do this I get the attached error and the front-end closes. Note, this is after I enter the last letter of the games name, not when I press the "Execute gCube" buttton (I don't get the chance to since it crashes).

Am I misunderstanding what the mount directory function is for?

Other than that, the front-end works great, no more shortcuts for every option available!

Last edited:
OP
MGFox

MGFox

The Quiet One!
Thats OK, its not a major problem just...well a misunderstanding! :whistling

Problem 1:-
The "Mount Directory" slot is ONLY used for homebrew files (*.ELFs I think) and will only become available once the "File Location" slot contains a path to said .ELF, Directory Mounting Usage is explained in the gCube Readme, well it was in gCube 0.2, it requires a specific directory structure to work, I'll have to check whether this feature is still in 0.3, I guess I just assumed it would be!

Problem 2:-
As soon as the program has worked out that you've typed in a Gamecube file (*.GCM, *.DOL, *.ELF etc), it automatically checks the validity of the file location. Assuming "Burnout.GCM" is not in the gCube folder, you must either:-

a) Type the full path to the file
b) Use the Browse Button to find the file (the little "..." button)
c) Drag the file onto the "File Location" slot from explorer

If "Burnout.GCM" is in the gCube folder (and you know it to be a valid GCM) let me know as I'll need to release another version without the file checking (Although it worked with EVERY file I chucked at it)

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, its hit 65 downloads already and I see it even made it to a news site! Its very much appreciated!

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Fox

EDIT:- It only checks the validity of a .GCM location

Last edited:

jih2000

Nice interface. However, it might be easier if you had a list window like in 1964 with the directory of roms listed for the selected directory. I found that so easy to use and required minimal interaction. It would mean that people dont keep having to select files from a directory box. Just my opinion :phone:

Marty

OP
MGFox

MGFox

The Quiet One!
To Jih2000: Thanks for that suggestion, I will look into doing that and if I can get it working I'll probably make it optional so people can choose. I never thought of doing that 'cos all my GCMs are in seperate folders.

To Gilgamesh (and others): Santa MGFox will hopefully be visiting again tomorrow afternoon (a British GMT afternoon), With the unforseen success of gCubeFront I will be making adjustments and fixes so it should work (and look) better!

Cheers,
Fox

OP
MGFox

MGFox

The Quiet One!
gCubeFront v0.3R2

Here it is and the list of changes:-

v0.3R2
------

Changed Title to gCubeFront
Improved Look of Advanced Options (Added Tool-Tips and Tab Order)
Rewritten Button Code for Advanced Options (OK and Cancel)
Added File Location Check for all GC File Formats
Stopped Some Error Messages from Exiting the Program
Prevented Mount Directory from being executed without an ELF
Fixed One CLI Option

The changes are mainly aesthetic and for accident prevention. Please report any problems, I have tested it and tested it with success but you guys will be doing the REAL testing.

To save space on EmuTalk I've RAR'ed the program, just extract it using WinRAR or any other archive program that supports *.RARs (and there are many, and some are free too :happy: )

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Fox

gCubeFront v0.3R2.rar 28.2 KB

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Great work, but still waiting for an browser. Probably the R3 will have it? A INI support would be great, too! But probably to hard to code, dunno?

OP
MGFox

MGFox

The Quiet One!
Hopefully the GCMBrowser will be in R3!

I started looking at doing it today (after posting R2), and I so far have a VERY basic version going. There are some problems with it not displaying files if they have Read-Only, Hidden or Achive attributes, but I will over come them!

INI Support? as in save your current settings, displaying compatibility messages or settings per game? (I'll assume the last one!)

I'll look into doing this once the browser is working, I'll then try and incorporate it into the browser so it auto loads settings...or something like that, I dunno I'll figure that out if I get it working!?!

Cheers,
Fox

foogy

this is great dude... keep up the great work. that was the only thing that pissed me off about this emu, but youve resolved it! thanks!

OP
MGFox

MGFox

The Quiet One!
gCubeFront v0.3R3

Happy New Year Folks!

Here is my gift to you all:

gCubeFront v0.3R3...Now With Added Browser Freshness!!!

The interface has been completely re-built...from scratch, to use a browser interface instead, so I'll keep R2 available in case people don't like browsers!

The basic browser interface was completed well before christmas, but my job has been pretty busy lately, so I appologise for the delay as I have only now been able to do the final tidy-ups and so forth!

As always, feel free to ask questions and feedback is appreciated!

Cheers,
Fox

gCubeFront v0.3R3.rar 35.6 KB

Last edited:

JinXD

Very nice dude! Testing..... :happy:

EDIT: Some "contructive" criticism:

1. It would be handy if it stored the last file location you selected for where the GCMs are. So if you close an open it up all your games are listed.
2. I am unable to select more than one directory where I have games (I have some on a network drive, the rest on a removable HDD)
3. Perhaps a "flag" coded in to show the games region? ie EUR, USA, JAP etc. Although that's mainly for eye candy and easy sorting.
4. An ini implemented so you can change the game name from the images default, again for making it look cleaner/easier to sort.

The above is only my opinion, I in no way expect any of it ;)

Cheers

Last edited: