What's new

Mushkin 1GB DDR400 Dual kit (2 x 512MB) Review

smcd

I just bought some new RAM and thought I'd share the experience.

Mushkin DDR400 Dual Pack 1GB (2 x 512MB)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299&depa=1

Bought it from newegg, as expected the shipping was fantastic. It arrived a day earlier than the estimated delivery date.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 7N-400L with nForce2 chipset.

The installation was a breeze, just pop them into the specified channels (DIMM1 and DIMM3 on this board) and reboot. The screen said that it had enabled dual channel mode!

On to the testing... I booted up memtest86+ and let it go. I only let it do one pass because it takes so long to do (40 minutes) but no errors were detected, awesome - that means no hassles with returning it.

As far as system performance goes, it makes quite a bit of difference in gaming, such titles as Unreal Tournament 2004 and Half Life 2 work without a hitch, and loading times have reduced.

Review Results:
While it's not top-of-the-line memory, for the price it's great. Highly recommended.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
What are your memory bandwidth benches?

/me gets ~4.0GB/s in Sandra and Everest with 2x256 PDP PC4000 @ 425 2.5-3-2-5.

Nice little review seth. :) I too love Newegg.. absolutely the best service ever. Will never buy from anywhere else again! :santa:

Last edited:
OP
smcd

smcd

I'll download everest(for consistency) and post them when I get home. For me it set the defaults and it posts at 2.5-3-3-8

Test done with Everest home edition 1.51
AMD 2500+ @ Stock

Last edited:
OP
smcd

smcd

(sorry for the grave digging, but i thought it might be important or helpful to people)

OK, so my RAM just died. Machine totally went crazy... ran memtest86+ on it and a couple other RAM testing utilities, and it is like swiss cheese! Errors are EVERYWHERE. Hopefully mushkin will fix this, if not I'll never buy from them again, and recommend you don't either - will update this as soon as I speak with customer service.

EDIT: Just tried each module individually, only one of them is bad. Don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, need to talk with customer service still since it's the weekend no one's there :(

Last edited:
OP
smcd

smcd

Alright, time to double post and revive an old thread... this RAM (or possibly my motherboard) is acting up. Why can't hardware just work anymore? :(

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Bah, defeated once again by my arch nemesis, stezo2k... one day i'll have my revenge... just you wait ;)

Stezo2k

S-2K
ScottJC said:
Bah, defeated once again by my arch nemesis, stezo2k... one day i'll have my revenge... just you wait ;)
Heh, let's wait and see :)

Not too bad benchmarks though to say you have a P4....

Clements

My ram is generic Infineon with loose 3-3-3-8 timings, but I still get fairly normal results for my setup. (2802 MB/s read, 1102 MB/s write, 102.3ns latency.) My RAM penalty is mostly offset by my small 30MHz overclock.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Clements said:
My ram is generic Infineon with loose 3-3-3-8 timings, but I still get fairly normal results for my setup. (2802 MB/s read, 1102 MB/s write, 102.3ns latency.) My RAM penalty is mostly offset by my small 30MHz overclock.

Not too bad then :) i'm using GeIL value stuff myself, excellent value for money (can get a 1gig dual channel kit for around £60 now, half the price i paid for mine)

I'll do some everest benchmarks on XP x64 edition too if anybody wants em